Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nice bookend idea for a wood worker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8sJ...em-uploademail

Does anyone know what's up with Jack's hands? That does not appear to be
arthritis, I'm assuming that's either genetic, or he might have had a
repetitive work type injury.

My friend just had surgery to repair his fingers, which would no longer
open up after working with his hands for years. They were calling him
capt. hook..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 5:57:47 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Does anyone know what's up with Jack's hands?

Rheumatoid arthritus. The tell tale signs are not just the fingers, in a clawed or claw (claw-like) forming position, but the palm/hand, itself, in a abduction, or tending toward an abducting position, and also supination, relative to the wrist/forearm position (relative to the midline of the body).. This/these "motion(s)", or tendencies, is/are opposite of adduction and pronation. The joints, themselves, are "knotted"/enlarged, also.

I would suspect his hips, knees and ankle joints are likely visably affected, also. As for as the video, one would need to observe his gait, to help access the lower extremities.

With these conditions, one should stay active (or try to stay active - for some folks, the pain is debilitating), otherwise the joints would tend to become stiff and hard to move (flex, extend, etc.). The condition is often accompanied with pain, in the affected joints, and maintaining flexibility helps reduce the pain, when not relying solely on pain meds for relief.

My friend just had surgery to repair his fingers, which would no longer

open up...

Dupuytren's contracture?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/14, 5:57 AM, woodchucker wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8sJ...em-uploademail

Does anyone know what's up with Jack's hands? That does not appear
to be arthritis, I'm assuming that's either genetic, or he might
have had a repetitive work type injury.

My friend just had surgery to repair his fingers, which would no
longer open up after working with his hands for years. They were
calling him capt. hook..

I don't know what's wrong with his hands, but with his ripping technique
on the table saw, I can tell you what's going to be wrong with them.

Someone PLEASE send that guy a Grr-ripper or a link to how to make a
shoe-style push stick.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2014 10:58 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'll have to ask again.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 10:01:37 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

That was pretty scary to watch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8sJ...em-uploademail

Does anyone know what's up with Jack's hands? That does
not appear to be arthritis, I'm assuming that's either
genetic, or he might have had a repetitive work type
injury.

There is arthritis and there is rheumatoid arthritis. I would guess the
latter but not very bad yet.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote

That was pretty scary to watch.

His pushing straight towards the bandsaw blade close in made me plenty
nervous, too.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2014 5:45 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Michael" wrote

That was pretty scary to watch.

His pushing straight towards the bandsaw blade close in made me plenty
nervous, too.

I don't worry about him.
I have watched a bunch of his video's. Some are good, some not.
But I have always been amazed that even though his hands are in the
shape they are, he is able to do things.

Sometimes he comes up with a gem of an idea. I like this one..
Give me another idea. And that's the purpose.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2014 11:33 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Yes it is Dupuytren's...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 5:04:39 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/11/2014 5:45 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Michael" wrote

That was pretty scary to watch.

His pushing straight towards the bandsaw blade close in made me plenty

nervous, too.

I don't worry about him.

I have watched a bunch of his video's. Some are good, some not.

But I have always been amazed that even though his hands are in the

shape they are, he is able to do things.

Sometimes he comes up with a gem of an idea. I like this one..

Give me another idea. And that's the purpose.

--

Jeff

Yeah, it's a very cool project and that is the purpose of the video, but that doesn't preclude people from watching it and commenting on basic shop safety. Maybe he never has an accident; I certainly hope he doesn't. But he's increasing the odds of an accident with those work habits. I think you'd have to agree with that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, Michael wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure. Because we are used to dealing with hands that are
dextrous we feel uncomfortable. He might not be able to hold a push
block or push stick and be comfortable, or hold it the way we do.
He might have been doing this for years, I don't know.

You have every right to be concerned for him. I don't live in his shoes.
If his hands were working as mine, I might say something, but I can't
since I don't understand his limitations. I think he has come up with
what he feels safe doing (hopefully). I HOPE.

I wish him well.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:18:57 -0400, woodchucker
You have every right to be concerned for him. I don't live in his shoes.
If his hands were working as mine, I might say something, but I can't
since I don't understand his limitations. I think he has come up with
what he feels safe doing (hopefully). I HOPE.

I wish him well.

+1. Very enlightened statement.

Nice variation on the sawboard idea John Rumm UK diy 11 September 7th 13 03:40 PM
Nice DIY idea ARWadsworth UK diy 1 January 26th 11 07:15 AM
Real Wood Worker jloomis Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 14th 09 02:06 PM
Wood Worker's Tool Box Qx Tom B Woodworking 14 March 14th 09 12:11 AM
When I Am An Old Worker of Wood Michael Baglio Woodworking 19 March 2nd 04 06:19 AM