Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Autodesk to borrow?

Seems I need to find a new career that does not involve lifting or climbing,
after my near fatal fall. I'm thinking of getting back into using autocad
autodesk, (barely learned some of it in the distant past) and need to see if
I can become good enough to get hired by someone. I therefore need a
version to work with, but at nearly 4K per copy, I would rather wait until I
decide to for sure commit to it, before I but a 4K program and a 3K
computer.

Anyone got a copy of it around that I could borrow for 2 or 3 months? Any
version would do, for now.

If you are willing, contact me off list, at jsmorganatcharter.net since it
is not legal to sell autodesk to a third party. I don't think there is a
problem with borrowing, but it would be best to keep it below the table, me
thinks.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe try your local community college. I know years ago our local one
taught a class.

Maybe try sketch up as well.

Mike in Ohio

On 4/10/2014 6:08 PM, Morgans wrote:
Seems I need to find a new career that does not involve lifting or
climbing, after my near fatal fall. I'm thinking of getting back into
using autocad autodesk, (barely learned some of it in the distant past)
and need to see if I can become good enough to get hired by someone. I
therefore need a version to work with, but at nearly 4K per copy, I
would rather wait until I decide to for sure commit to it, before I but
a 4K program and a 3K computer.

Anyone got a copy of it around that I could borrow for 2 or 3 months?
Any version would do, for now.

If you are willing, contact me off list, at jsmorganatcharter.net since
it is not legal to sell autodesk to a third party. I don't think there
is a problem with borrowing, but it would be best to keep it below the
table, me thinks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mungedaddress" wrote in message
Maybe try your local community college. I know years ago our local one
taught a class.

Maybe try sketch up as well.

Gotta do autodesk. There is one specific employer I am looking towards, and
that is what they use.

Yep, community college is a possibility. Funny, that they are looking for
an autodesk teacher, right now. If I knew it, I could apply for that job,
since I have been a teacher for years.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message ...

[...]

Jim,

The Autodesk site does have 30 day free trials you could download and use.
at. I used to use AutoCad 2000 and AutoCad lite when I was doing design
work (fiber-optic communication designs).

BobS

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote
The Autodesk site does have 30 day free trials you could download and use.
Also AutoCad Lite has a reasonable subscription price you may want to look
at. I used to use AutoCad 2000 and AutoCad lite when I was doing design
work (fiber-optic communication designs).

BobS

Thanks for that.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 6:08 PM, Morgans wrote:
Seems I need to find a new career that does not involve lifting or
climbing, after my near fatal fall. I'm thinking of getting back into
using autocad autodesk, (barely learned some of it in the distant past)
and need to see if I can become good enough to get hired by someone. I
therefore need a version to work with, but at nearly 4K per copy, I
would rather wait until I decide to for sure commit to it, before I but
a 4K program and a 3K computer.

Anyone got a copy of it around that I could borrow for 2 or 3 months?
Any version would do, for now.

If you are willing, contact me off list, at jsmorganatcharter.net since
it is not legal to sell autodesk to a third party. I don't think there
is a problem with borrowing, but it would be best to keep it below the
table, me thinks.

I don't know how much CAD experience you have. There's a free *2D* CAD
program that advertises as follows:

"DoubleCAD™ XT is an AutoCAD LT® work-alike. But free."

I can't attest to the "look-alike" claim, I have almost no experience
with AutoCAD, and even that was with a much older version. But it stands
to reason that they would TRY to make it similar enough to AutoCAD to
entice people to use it (and then buy their 3D "pro" product).

I've used DoubleCAD, some. It works. Barring getting AutoCAD somehow,
perhaps a free "sort-of-similar" program would get you started. It can
be downloaded he

http://www.doublecad.com/DoubleCAD/DoubleCAD-XT-v5

Best of luck.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote

I've used DoubleCAD, some. It works. Barring getting AutoCAD somehow,
perhaps a free "sort-of-similar" program would get you started. It can
be downloaded he

http://www.doublecad.com/DoubleCAD/DoubleCAD-XT-v5

Best of luck.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
Seems I need to find a new career that does not involve lifting or climbing,
after my near fatal fall. I'm thinking of getting back into using autocad
autodesk, (barely learned some of it in the distant past) and need to see if
I can become good enough to get hired by someone. I therefore need a
version to work with, but at nearly 4K per copy, I would rather wait until I
decide to for sure commit to it, before I but a 4K program and a 3K
computer.

Anyone got a copy of it around that I could borrow for 2 or 3 months? Any
version would do, for now.

If you are willing, contact me off list, at jsmorganatcharter.net since it
is not legal to sell autodesk to a third party. I don't think there is a
problem with borrowing, but it would be best to keep it below the table, me
thinks.

Autocad 2014 64 bit
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/83093...2014.WIN64-ISO

Autocad 2014 32 bit
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/83093...2014.WIN32-ISO

Both are 100% clean and work perfectly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Kennerson" wrote in message
s...

Both are 100% clean and work perfectly.

For being clean, it set off my virus protection 6 or so times. Not worth
the risk, nor is it worth getting caught by autodesk using an illegal copy,
if that is to be my livelihood in the future.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message ...

"John Kennerson" wrote in message
. us...

Both are 100% clean and work perfectly.

For being clean, it set off my virus protection 6 or so times.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about downloading torrents and are too
damn lazy to do any research. Let me guess, wanting instant gratification you
simply clicked the Download icon instead of the small red horseshoe magnet,
right?

Both links posted earlier are absolutely clean.
Sorry, you'll not get any further hand holding from me.

Not worth the risk, nor is it worth getting caught by autodesk using an illegal copy,
if that is to be my livelihood in the future.

Are you actually stupid enough to believe you would be any less in violation of
Autodesk's licensing agreement by "borrowing" a copy of acad from a participant
of rec.woodworking than you would be with a pirated copy?

No need to answer that, the fact you were stupid enough to ask in the first
place speaks volumes about your intellectually challenged condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2014 7:52 AM, John Kennerson wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message ...

[...]

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message ...

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

How so?

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

How so?

Really? Have you read your own posts?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2014 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/14/2014 7:52 AM, John Kennerson wrote:

Are you actually stupid enough to believe you would be any less in
violation of
Autodesk's licensing agreement by "borrowing" a copy of acad from a
participant
of rec.woodworking than you would be with a pirated copy?

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

Sorry to say, I actually agree with his basic premise.

For as long as I've know, AutoDesk specifically never has done anything
but "license" the use of their software, they do not "sell" it to you.

Borrowing a copy of copyrighted, and licensed software would be subject
to the restrictions in the license that the Lender/purchaser agreed to
when purchasing.

I thought it was pretty silly to publicly attempt to circumvent the
license by requesting to "borrow" the software ... that certainly showed
a total ignorance of the laws regarding copyright and software, if
nothing else.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2014 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Agreed, I was wanting to convey the relatively offensive nature of the
response vs the subject of the response. It was a red flag seeing the
request to borrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message ...

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

How so?

Let me rephrase, the venom in your response.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2014 12:34 PM, Leon wrote:

Agreed, I was wanting to convey the relatively offensive nature of the
response vs the subject of the response. It was a red flag seeing the
request to borrow.

I didn't say anything initially either ... but was waiting for a
self-righteous moderator wannabe to jump in, thumping their chests like
"Me Tarzan!".

Agreed, the response was indeed over the top ... sounded like something
I would say. LOL g BSEG G ;) Hehe

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message ...
John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message ...

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

How so?

Let me rephrase, the venom in your response.

Please, you sound like a sobbing little school girl with a skint knee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message ...
Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2014 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The OP wrongly accused me of posting links to virus infected software. Dry
your eyes and man-up, Buttercup. If you're that easily offended reading my
response perhaps you need a new passtime.

It was a red flag seeing the request to borrow.

But you weren't man enough to call him out for it?
Just as I thought, you're all hat and no cattle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Joe some one new here you seem a bit too quick to judge.

How so?

Let me rephrase, the venom in your response.

Please, you sound like a sobbing little school girl with a skint knee.

And you sir, sound like a pompus ass who thinks what he has to say is more
important than it really is. Or... let me better say... a punk that has not
learnhed what he really isn't. Plonk...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:

The OP wrongly accused me of posting links to virus infected
software. Dry
your eyes and man-up, Buttercup. If you're that easily offended
reading my
response perhaps you need a new passtime.

Perhaps you need to study reading comprehension so that you can really
understand what people are saying to you. Then you can progess on to some
some sort of therapy where you can realize that it's not all about you. You
have a long walk ahead of you son.

It was a red flag seeing the request to borrow.

But you weren't man enough to call him out for it?
Just as I thought, you're all hat and no cattle.

A real man does not need to call everybody out for everything. Only kids
that haven't realized that yet, feel the need to do so. Continue to do so
and you will continue to prove yourself as the latter.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2014 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Could you point out that specific accusation?
If you took him mentioning that the link set his AV off 6 times as an
accusation then you are a bit of a paranoid pussy..
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
John Kennerson wrote:

The OP wrongly accused me of posting links to virus infected
software. Dry
your eyes and man-up, Buttercup. If you're that easily offended
reading my
response perhaps you need a new passtime.

Perhaps you need to study reading comprehension so that you can really
understand what people are saying to you. Then you can progess on to some
some sort of therapy where you can realize that it's not all about you. You
have a long walk ahead of you son.

Probably the type that was taught to expect a trophy for participating.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in
:

Seems I need to find a new career that does not involve
lifting or climbing, after my near fatal fall. I'm
thinking of getting back into using autocad autodesk,
(barely learned some of it in the distant past) and need to
see if I can become good enough to get hired by someone. I
therefore need a version to work with, but at nearly 4K per
copy, I would rather wait until I decide to for sure commit
to it, before I but a 4K program and a 3K computer.

Anyone got a copy of it around that I could borrow for 2 or
3 months? Any version would do, for now.

If you are willing, contact me off list, at
jsmorganatcharter.net since it is not legal to sell
autodesk to a third party. I don't think there is a
problem with borrowing, but it would be best to keep it
below the table, me thinks.

Back to the original subject...

As you've already figured out by others, "borrowing" isn't an
option. Licensing prevents that. If you *must* have ACAD your
best choice would be to download a trial version. the other
option would be to sign up for a class and get an education
version with a timebomb.

With that said I've downloaded a free version of progeCad and
used it for several years. I'm a very light user but
everything I attempted matched ACAD exactly. They no longer
offer a free version and the download I have refuses to
install on anything later that Vista but it could probably be
hacked to install on a newer OS goven a little time and
effort. If you were to decide it was worth the time it can be
purchased for the reasonable cost of $499, 1/10th the cost of
ACAD. You can find it at
http://www.progesoft.com if you have any interest.

Regards,
Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Autodesk to borrow?: New T R O L L in town

On 4/14/2014 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Probably the type that was taught to expect a trophy for participating.

Sunnavabitch! ... Bay Area Dave is back?!?!

Where's Apeman when you need him? LOL

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

If you took him mentioning that the link set his AV off 6 times as
an
accusation then you are a bit of a paranoid pussy..

The self respecting pussies of the world take the above
as a totally insulting comment, I'm sure.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2014 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Probably the type that was taught to expect a trophy for
participating.

Sunnavabitch! ... Bay Area Dave is back?!?!

Where's Apeman when you need him? LOL

That just ain't right. You're a wise ass today, ain't ya? So good....

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

I thought it was pretty silly to publicly attempt to circumvent the
license by requesting to "borrow" the software ... that certainly showed a
total ignorance of the laws regarding copyright and software, if nothing
else.

So if I came over to your house, if I used your computer and drew some stuff
on your autodesk, your license would be void? How about if I borrowed your
computer with the program on it for a few days, and then returned it? Void
then, also? How about if you were not planning to use your autodesk program
for a few days, or months, and let me use it then I returned it. Nowhere
did any money change hands, or was ownership transferred. Still voided?

That's all I'm talking about, here. I'm not trying to get a copy and keep
it, or buy it. I want to BORROW it for a little while to see if I can put
out work professional enough to get a job doing it, then if I am good
enough, I will be getting my own legal, leased copy of the program, and
going to work using it.

See, I have time on my hands. I am totally disabled from a fall. I may
never return to work as a carpenter in any capacity again. I'm trying to
see what else I can do. I want to teach myself the program, and see if I
like the work. I have contracting and drafting experience. I thought
someone may have an autodesk laying around (perhaps a few versions old) that
I could use for a little while. No transfer of ownership. Gray enough to
be legal.

Sorry if I stirred up so much controversy. As far as being knowledgeable
in torrents, I'm not. Why was there a big download button if you are not
supposed to use it. A horseshow? Who knows that except one that plays in
torrents all of the time?

I even offered my own email address, so if someone wanted to help me out,
they could have zero exposure. I've been posting here for a good while, and
I think most will say that I have a solid history of being a reasonable
person. I knew it was a long shot, but I asked. I thought I had a copy of
the last autodesk that was put out without a flagged lease on it, which was
around 97 I think. I don't have it, unfortunately. I will have to go with
the 30 day trial, which is not ideal, due to the timing on my disability and
pending legal case, or try to go and sit through community college classes,
which is not ideal from a personal pain and comfort perspective. I will do
what I have to do, but I like gray better than pirated and red software, in
any case.

--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Kennerson" wrote

But you weren't man enough to call him out for it?
Just as I thought, you're all hat and no cattle.

And you are still a pompous ass, as characterized by someone else without a
dog in the fight.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry" wrote
Back to the original subject...

As you've already figured out by others, "borrowing" isn't an
option. Licensing prevents that. If you *must* have ACAD your
best choice would be to download a trial version. the other
option would be to sign up for a class and get an education
version with a timebomb.

That could be what I have to do. I posted a lengthy response a few minutes
ago, laying out my motivations and reasoning. Still, I will probably go the
education route if I have to.

With that said I've downloaded a free version of progeCad and
used it for several years. I'm a very light user but
everything I attempted matched ACAD exactly. They no longer
offer a free version and the download I have refuses to
install on anything later that Vista but it could probably be
hacked to install on a newer OS goven a little time and
effort. If you were to decide it was worth the time it can be
purchased for the reasonable cost of $499, 1/10th the cost of
ACAD. You can find it at
http://www.progesoft.com if you have any interest.

Unfortunately, I have an employer in mind, and working with them will
necessitate using the same program they are using, I believe. I am gong to
bookmark your link, though. Thanks. I only wish I had not lost my copy of
the old autodesk.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2014 8:06 PM, Morgans wrote:

So if I came over to your house, if I used your computer and drew some
stuff on your autodesk, your license would be void? How about if I
borrowed your computer with the program on it for a few days, and then
returned it? Void then, also?

No, none of the above would "void" the license or be illegal.

Why? Because it remained on the same machine, still compliant under the
terms of the purchasers license.

How about if you were not planning to
use your autodesk program for a few days, or months, and let me use it
then I returned it. Nowhere did any money change hands, or was
ownership transferred. Still voided?

Illegal (and prosecutable (especially if you were MSFT and it was a
corporate license), yes.

Why? Because the license for Autodesk, last time I looked, is specific
to one instance of use, on one machine.

In this day age, best to ask those kind of questions prior to publicly
attempting to violate a software license agreement ... you never know
who is watching. Tough to get a job in the tech industry with a software
copyright violation conviction on your record.

Not that I, or most of us, give a ****, but it is bad form, and does
show an ignorance of the legality of software use.

Sorry, to be the bearer of that bit of fact, but now you know.

I do sincerely hope that you find a solution to your problem, and
overcome that disability.

Contact AutoDesk and discuss your options with them. You might be
surprised, especially considering your track record of being a public
school teacher.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

I thought it was pretty silly to publicly attempt to circumvent the
license by requesting to "borrow" the software ... that certainly
showed a total ignorance of the laws regarding copyright and
software, if nothing else.

So if I came over to your house, if I used your computer and drew
some stuff on your autodesk, your license would be void? How about
if I borrowed your computer with the program on it for a few days,
and then returned it? Void then, also? How about if you were not
planning to use your autodesk program for a few days, or months, and
let me use it then I returned it. Nowhere did any money change
hands, or was ownership transferred. Still voided?

Come on Jim - you're brighter than that, as you have proven in this forum.
Read the license. The software is licenced to one computer - the license
does not care who the user is.

That's all I'm talking about, here. I'm not trying to get a copy and
keep it, or buy it. I want to BORROW it for a little while to see
if I can put out work professional enough to get a job doing it, then
if I am good enough, I will be getting my own legal, leased copy of
the program, and going to work using it

That may seem ok to the average guy, but it is against the terms of the
license.

See, I have time on my hands. I am totally disabled from a fall. I
may never return to work as a carpenter in any capacity again. I'm
trying to see what else I can do. I want to teach myself the
program, and see if I like the work. I have contracting and drafting
experience. I thought someone may have an autodesk laying around
(perhaps a few versions old) that I could use for a little while. No
transfer of ownership. Gray enough to be legal.

No such thing as grey enough to be legal. Not to say that someone might not
have a license laying around that they are not using, and that they might be
able to transfer to you, but in the strictest of terms, the license is what
the license is. A lot of people believe in honoring that kind of thing.

Sorry if I stirred up so much controversy. As far as being
knowledgeable in torrents, I'm not. Why was there a big download
button if you are not supposed to use it. A horseshow? Who knows
that except one that plays in torrents all of the time?

Ah - screw torerents. And - in my mind you didn't stir up any controversy.
You just asked a question. I see no problem in asking that question.

I even offered my own email address, so if someone wanted to help me
out, they could have zero exposure. I've been posting here for a
good while, and I think most will say that I have a solid history of
being a reasonable person.

Oh no - I would not go that far at all! You've never engaged in flame wars,
outright offended other posters, or even skewed a topic so that you could
take it to your own personal rant. That all by itself makes you somewhat
suspect... Not at all a reasonable person...

I will have to go with the 30 day trial, which is not
ideal, due to the timing on my disability and pending legal case, or
try to go and sit through community college classes, which is not
ideal from a personal pain and comfort perspective. I will do what I
have to do, but I like gray better than pirated and red software, in
any case.

Gray (grey) is no different than, and no better than pirated software. I
have to admit that I'm a bit hard on this line because I work in the
software industry, so I tend to lean pretty hard to one side.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message ...

Could you point out that specific accusation?
If you took him mentioning that the link set his AV off 6 times as an
accusation then you are a bit of a paranoid pussy..

You are coming dangerously close to allowing your fingers to write checks that
your ass is completely incapable of cashing, cupcake. Take the virtual ass
whipping I gave you today like a man. The stinging you're obviously feeling will
eventually subside. Rather than being bitter about it, try and think of it as a
valuable learning experience.

Now, you run along back to being Karl's bitch, I find you boring and stale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Oh no - I would not go that far at all! You've never engaged in flame
wars, outright offended other posters, or even skewed a topic so that you
could take it to your own personal rant. That all by itself makes you
somewhat suspect... Not at all a reasonable person...

You got a true LoL on that one! I need to flame a little bit more to be
reasonable? g

Gray (grey) is no different than, and no better than pirated software. I
have to admit that I'm a bit hard on this line because I work in the
software industry, so I tend to lean pretty hard to one side.

Yes, I do understand your position. I think you can see, I'm really not
trying to cheat anyone, and with my personal circumstances, my heart is in
the right place.

I think I'm going to go with the community college educational license. I
can use it for up to three years as I learn it. If it takes that long, I
will officially label myself as a "sometimers" patient. I guess I will see
how baad of a dog this computer is at running a demanding program like
autodesk.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

In this day age, best to ask those kind of questions prior to publicly
attempting to violate a software license agreement ... you never know who
is watching. Tough to get a job in the tech industry with a software
copyright violation conviction on your record.

That I am fully aware of. I don't want to go there.

Contact AutoDesk and discuss your options with them. You might be
surprised, especially considering your track record of being a public
school teacher.

Good idea! I had not considered that route. Doubtful to work, but it can't
hurt to ask. Perhaps I will find someone there with a little extra heart!
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Kennerson wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Could you point out that specific accusation?
If you took him mentioning that the link set his AV off 6 times as an
accusation then you are a bit of a paranoid pussy..

You are coming dangerously close to allowing your fingers to write
checks that
your ass is completely incapable of cashing, cupcake. Take the
virtual ass
whipping I gave you today like a man. The stinging you're obviously
feeling will
eventually subside. Rather than being bitter about it, try and think
of it as a
valuable learning experience.

Now, you run along back to being Karl's bitch, I find you boring and
stale.

What a fool you are. Perhaps some day day you will grow up enough to
realize the ass you are making of yourself today. If not - oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message ...

Sunnavabitch! ... Bay Area Dave is back?!?!

Where's Apeman when you need him? LOL

Sorry, "Bay Area Dave" doesn't ring a bell with me, apparently before my time.

You might want keep a tighter reign on your bitch, Leon. He got a little uppity
today and as a result I had to take him to the woodshed.