Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default Anyone have a 7/16 x 18 Whitworth tap I could borrow?

I need to make a special toolpost clamp bolt for my Myford (I'm adapting a
Chinese quick-change toolpost to fit). It's either find the right tap, or
spend a very long time grinding a special Whitworth (55 degree included
angle) deep internal single point tool. Yeah, I know that I can probably
use a 60 degree tool and make it work, but I have no 60 degree tool that
small, so would have to grind something out of solid anyway.

If someone has the right tap, I would like to borrow it to tap this one
hole. If you're in the UK, I'll happen to be in Cardiff this weekend,
London Monday, Cambridge Tuesday, and Ascot Wednesday morning. I could
borrow it when I'm over there, and mail it back as soon as I get back to the
US and can use it. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:11:05 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

7/16 x 18 is BSF, not BSW Whit is 14 pitch.

I've a couple of Whitworth plug taps here and it wouldn't matter if one
met a grinder and ended up tapered. Still trying to find some BSF
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

You're right, Andy. It's BSF, not BSW. The chart I was looking at had two
charts on the page for Whitworth threads, and 7/16 x 18 was on the lower
(BSF) chart. Nevertheless, BSF is still a Whitworth thread form. I'm still
looking for a tap to borrow :-)

wrote:

7/16 x 18 is BSF, not BSW Whit is 14 pitch.

I've a couple of Whitworth plug taps here and it wouldn't matter if one
met a grinder and ended up tapered. Still trying to find some BSF
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I need to make a special toolpost clamp bolt for my Myford (I'm adapting a
Chinese quick-change toolpost to fit). It's either find the right tap, or
spend a very long time grinding a special Whitworth (55 degree included
angle) deep internal single point tool. Yeah, I know that I can probably
use a 60 degree tool and make it work, but I have no 60 degree tool that
small, so would have to grind something out of solid anyway.

If someone has the right tap, I would like to borrow it to tap this one
hole. If you're in the UK, I'll happen to be in Cardiff this weekend,
London Monday, Cambridge Tuesday, and Ascot Wednesday morning. I could
borrow it when I'm over there, and mail it back as soon as I get back to the
US and can use it. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Get it from the Tap & Die Co. while you're in England (www.tapdie.com).
It's £6.00 plus tax and delivery. They dispatch fast, so you could
probably have it sent to your hotel, or maybe you could pick it up from
them in London.

Chris