Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bendy 2

I'm considering using 8-inch diameter concrete forms at either end of my coffee table base to which my bendy wood will be affixed. Those that I've seen online boast that they degrade over time. Can I assume degradation occurs due to weather and UV? Unless a tornado rips the roof off the den, we should experience neither.

Any other gotchas I should consider ... or any other suitable and readily available product?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I'm considering using 8-inch diameter concrete forms at either end of
my coffee table base to which my bendy wood will be affixed. Those
that I've seen online boast that they degrade over time. Can I assume
degradation occurs due to weather and UV? Unless a tornado rips the
roof off the den, we should experience neither.

Any other gotchas I should consider ... or any other suitable and
readily available product?

Are you talking about son-o-tubes?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew ...

This is what my fast search yielded:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_10149-286-692201_4294624220__?productId=3005463&Ns=p_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Larry

Are you talking about son-o-tubes?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you talking about son-o-tubes?

Lew

Solotubes. If the Lowes product is basically the same (I believe it
is) then there should be no worry about degrading over time. Years ago
I took a telescope making class from a famous amateur astronomer, John
Dobson, where the main tube was a piece of the same material. Today it
is in like new condition. Those tubes are very strong.

I suspect the degradation over time that is mentioned is decay when
kept in moist conditions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Lew ...

This is what my fast search yielded:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_10149-286-692201_4294624220__?productId=3005463&Ns=p_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Same thing.

It's a concrete form used to set lighting pole anchor bolts for
roadway
or parking lot lighting poles.

How do you want to use them?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I'll use two or three at about 18 inches in height. I will wrap my
bendy wood around an arc on each to stabilize the form of the base I
am making. Will adhere wood to concrete form with appropriate
adhesive (hoping TB II is appropriate). The base I am making will be
about 45 inches in length by 8 inches in width by 20 inches high. It
will be in the shape of an elipse.
So what you are telling us is that you need an 8" dia mandrel.

Take a look at an 8", 10 ga, piece of PVC pipe.

It won't degrade like a son-o-tube, but will require epoxy to make the
bond between bending ply and PVC.

Hit the PVC with some 24-36 grit sanding disks and you are good to go.

I used a piece of 8", 10 ga, PVC as the mandrel to lay-up a fiberglass
tube for the bow thruster I was going to install.

Lew