Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Big iron... nice saw with good price.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 24, 2014 5:01:23 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html -- Jeff

That saw price might be a typo, but you never know. The same Allentown listing says $500, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/24/2014 6:19 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, March 24, 2014 5:01:23 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html -- Jeff

That saw price might be a typo, but you never know. The same
Allentown listing says $500, also.

Seems like a giveaway to me, too...of course, most recreational wwr's
won't have the room or the need so demand likely isn't terribly high.
But, in a major metro area one would think there wouldn't be trouble
getting more than that if one had any patience at all...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2014 8:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

Nope, they're dual-arbor...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1580

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter
guage (I see 2 miter guage slots).
There are other spelling errors too, so I wouldn't read into it too
deeply. Why don't you ask him?

Bill

---
protection is active.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2014 9:24 AM, Bill wrote:

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter
guage (I see 2 miter guage slots).

No, he means it is dual arbor -- see link in other followup.

See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow
setup for production work between two blade setups just by rotating
arbor position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical
setup.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2014 9:41 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 9:24 AM, Bill wrote:

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter
guage (I see 2 miter guage slots).

No, he means it is dual arbor -- see link in other followup.

See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow setup
for production work between two blade setups just by rotating arbor
position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical setup.

Here's a Fagan, not Oliver, patent but same idea. Quick search didn't
really find a good picture of an Oliver itself that clearly shows the
dual arbor arrangement...there was a 260 in the ww shop down at Navy
shipyard in Norfolk where my cousin was stationed way, way, back...

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=30352

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2014 10:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 9:41 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 9:24 AM, Bill wrote:

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter
guage (I see 2 miter guage slots).

No, he means it is dual arbor -- see link in other followup.

See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow setup
for production work between two blade setups just by rotating arbor
position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical setup.

Here's a Fagan, not Oliver, patent but same idea. Quick search didn't
really find a good picture of an Oliver itself that clearly shows the
dual arbor arrangement...there was a 260 in the ww shop down at Navy
shipyard in Norfolk where my cousin was stationed way, way, back...

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=30352

Thanks. I had never heard of such a thing.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Greg Guarino writes:
On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

According to http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=1580

An old Oliver Model 90 bench saw. It is a dual arbor saw that,
according to Oliver literature, was designed to be a smaller
version of the model 60 dual arbor saw. Overall it is very similar,
2 14" saw blades carryed on a rotating yoke, sliding table, flat
belt drive. The model 60 carried 2 16" blades. As with the Model
60, a single larger blade can be used, in this case 18".

--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?
| -- Teal'c

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2014 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 8:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

Nope, they're dual-arbor...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1580

--

That's cool, I guess you could mount a rip and crosscut blade and switch
quickly.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2014 9:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/25/2014 10:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 9:41 AM, dpb wrote:

See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow setup
for production work between two blade setups just by rotating arbor
position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical setup.

Here's a Fagan, not Oliver, patent but same idea. Quick search didn't
really find a good picture of an Oliver itself that clearly shows the
dual arbor arrangement...there was a 260 in the ww shop down at Navy
shipyard in Norfolk where my cousin was stationed way, way, back...

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=30352

Thanks. I had never heard of such a thing.

Yeah, these are _serious_ iron for production shops; not just overgrown
Unisaurs...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2014 10:38 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/25/2014 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/25/2014 8:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel
14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?

Nope, they're dual-arbor...

That's cool, I guess you could mount a rip and crosscut blade and switch
quickly.

Yeah, if I were within a day's drive of Philly I'd already be on me way...

As noted, these are serious machines...the shop where I've seen one in
operation was at Norfolk Navy shops almost 40 yr ago. They had it set
up w/ standard combination on one and a dado set for jointing on the other.