Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: A Question

Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

Lew

Never tried it. Tried another one years ago and it could not
understand southern dialect.

--
 GW Ross

 If money could talk, it would say
 goodbye.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It would be cheap to find out. After rebate, version 12 is about the price of shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2182207&cm_sp=

Use promo code EMCYTZT58843 for $60 off, plus the rebate - link on the page above

May only be good for a day or so - newegg does 24 hour and 48 hour specials.

Lew wrote:
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.
Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.
Lew

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

Lew

Never tried it. Tried another one years ago and it could not understand
southern dialect.

There is a joke in there somewhere. But I don't want to rile up the
southern boys, so I will just leave it alone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/TO: A Question

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

I have some family that uses it regularly, and they say it is amazing. I've
not tried it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

notyoung wrote:

It would be cheap to find out. After rebate, version 12 is about
the price of shipping.
snip
There are as many "deals" as there are product variations.

The question I was asking, are any of them worth a hoot?

You can start with the ads on late night TV followed by all
kind of "Deals".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

I tried Dragon about 6 months ago and found it lacking - badly. Voice
Recoginition was at least this good 5 years ago, and it wasn't all that good
then. That's a tough thing to pull off, and none of the vendors have really
nailed it yet.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

My 16 year old son is quite dyslexic and has used Dragon for the
past five or six years. I'm not sure what version he is on at the
moment but its one less than a year old.

He does quite well with it (at least exceedingly better than paper and
pencil). I think he has mentioned that it has improved over the years
(I'd ask him directly, but its Sunday morning and I don't expect him
to be coherent for at least 4 more hours). He has, however, spent hours
if not days training it.

I've played with it myself, but have never invested the time needed
to get it and myself trained enough to be effective with it.

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Question

A quite-disabled friend has been using Dragon for quite a while. He likes it
a lot and says that it gets better with every release.

Tom

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:52:19 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition
software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,
but it lacked a lot.

Lew

A 92% accurate voice recognition system is still a LOUSY system. Even
at 98%, you need a good editor/proofreader.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 6:52:19 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Anybody have any up to date experience with voice recognition

software such as Dragon.

Years ago tried it's predecessor, Naturally Speaking,

but it lacked a lot.

Lew

It works, and works rather well. There is a learning curve, as there is with any program, and its not perfect. That being said, it does work well AFTER you get it to recognize how YOU speak. I had some material that I needed to copy from a source book for a talk I was giving. Being able to just read it into Dragon was really a huge help.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Many thanks to those who responded.

It would appear that the productivity of Dragon is directly
proportional to the amount of work you are willing to
spend developing solutions for your needs.

So what else is new?

Thanks again.

Lew