Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Check this out. Drill press mod..

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:23:23 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Wixey does have a digital depth gauge, ostensibly for a router table.
It is easily modified for a drill press. The readout can be located
within about 3 feet of the sensor so it can be easily viewed.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Wixey does have a digital depth gauge, ostensibly for a router table.
It is easily modified for a drill press. The readout can be located
within about 3 feet of the sensor so it can be easily viewed.

Yes, I have one of those (planer, too) but I've never put it on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Well, my all in cost is about $14
Wixey, would be about $69.

Nothing against Wixey.. I would like to have their planer module..

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Well, my all in cost is about $14
Wixey, would be about $69.

The problem I have with the Harbor Fright digital calipers is
batteries. They eat them and it seems it's always dead when I want to
use it. Bought a dial caliper, instead.

Nothing against Wixey.. I would like to have their planer module..

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:45:17 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190
I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Well, my all in cost is about $14
Wixey, would be about $69.

The problem I have with the Harbor Fright digital calipers is
batteries. They eat them and it seems it's always dead when I want to
use it. Bought a dial caliper, instead.

Yes. After using mine twice, I went through 2 batteries. Loosing the
digital readout doesn't render it useless though.
Just depends what you need. Gosh, maybe I'll start watching the
auctions for a dial caliper... : )

Cheers,
Bill

Nothing against Wixey.. I would like to have their planer module..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Yes. After using mine twice, I went through 2 batteries. Loosing the
digital readout doesn't render it useless though.
Just depends what you need. Gosh, maybe I'll start watching the
auctions for a dial caliper... : )

I've had the same problem with mine. You do have to make sure (or try to
make sure...) that when you close the lid on the case, it doesn't contact
the on/off switch, turning the caliper on. I've been going for months now
on a battery after having eaten them in days in the past.

HF does sell a decent dial caliper as well. I got the one that measures in
fractions of an inch for wood working. Quite handy.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never really thought about before seeing your drill press mod, but the idea
of using the cheap calipers and dial indicators available nowadays
for instrumenting common shop tools opens up quite a few possibilities...

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2014 11:42 AM, Larry W wrote:
Never really thought about before seeing your drill press mod, but the idea
of using the cheap calipers and dial indicators available nowadays
for instrumenting common shop tools opens up quite a few possibilities...

If you decide to use stainless calipers, get a cobalt drill bit. I tried
drilling my stainless and just dulled a bit.
So I went with the composite caliper..
Works fine, actually has an auto off.
And another neat feature for a drill press is everytime you turn it on
it zeros... meaning where ever the quill is it's at zero.

For a planer you would want one that does not zero.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2014 12:05 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:45:17 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Well, my all in cost is about $14
Wixey, would be about $69.

The problem I have with the Harbor Fright digital calipers is
batteries. They eat them and it seems it's always dead when I want to
use it. Bought a dial caliper, instead.

I agree, that's why I built the separate power supply so a AA delivers
power, and an on off switch. I like analog anyway, but for this purpose
analog would be useless, I want to just hit zero... no fiddling with
turning a dial.

Nothing against Wixey.. I would like to have their planer module..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2014 8:02 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Yes. After using mine twice, I went through 2 batteries. Loosing the
digital readout doesn't render it useless though.
Just depends what you need. Gosh, maybe I'll start watching the
auctions for a dial caliper... : )

I've had the same problem with mine. You do have to make sure (or try to
make sure...) that when you close the lid on the case, it doesn't contact
the on/off switch, turning the caliper on. I've been going for months now
on a battery after having eaten them in days in the past.

HF does sell a decent dial caliper as well. I got the one that measures in
fractions of an inch for wood working. Quite handy.

Me too I have that. Wish the fractions were on the outside though.. Who
buys a caliper like that for .01, you would usually want .001.

But I find mine to be THE most useful tool in the shop. Great for
planing, sizing small things.. much easier to read than a ruler.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:56:39 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 3/16/2014 12:05 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:45:17 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

wrote:

No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

I'm surprised Wixey hasn't come out with one.

Well, my all in cost is about $14
Wixey, would be about $69.

The problem I have with the Harbor Fright digital calipers is
batteries. They eat them and it seems it's always dead when I want to
use it. Bought a dial caliper, instead.

I agree, that's why I built the separate power supply so a AA delivers
power, and an on off switch. I like analog anyway, but for this purpose
analog would be useless, I want to just hit zero... no fiddling with
turning a dial.

Hmm. Didn't even think about that. I have a Wixey saw fence that
goes through batteries, too. It's not nearly as bad as the HF
calipers but I should be able to hide an AA somewhere on the thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

My HF digital caliper is about four years old and still on the original
battery, though I do remove the battery if I expect to be out of the
shop for more than a day. The feature that activates the display when
you change the setting causes a constant battery drain. I think that
may be common to all digital calipers.

A bit of Googling shows that if you are willing to buy ten or more at a
time, the LR44 battery can be had for just ten to fifteen cents a piece,
so I may stop bothering to take the battery out.

Recently added the HF fractional (1/128) digital caliper on sale for
about $11. I think that in the future that caliper is going to be my
first choice for woodworking.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-digit...ngs-68304.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

I bought some of them, once. CR2032s, too. 75% of them were so bad
they wouldn't even "light" the tools they went into, when new. I
thought the tools were bad but no, they're fine.

Recently added the HF fractional (1/128) digital caliper on sale for
about $11. I think that in the future that caliper is going to be my
first choice for woodworking.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-digit...ngs-68304.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

Another note worth remembering with digital calipers is that the sensor that
"reads" where the head is on the bar can get dusty and the symptom will be
erratic or no display. You'll think it's the battery, change it, only to
experience more of the same. Blow the area out with a low air pressure and
your caliper will most likely come right back to life.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

I think the calipers use magnetic inductance now.
They are insulated from the bar.

There's a jagged square saw tooth electrical path in the insulated
sheathing, so I don't think you get that problem much anymore.

But worth noting.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

That may well be. It may be that my calipers are an older technology.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
No this is not necessary, but it seemed like a cool idea...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59190

That's a handy trick I've seen done on lathe tailstocks before.