Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Square Hole Punch

Anyone know if these are better at forming the requisite square recesses for square plugs than a hollow chisel (from a mortiser)? I have an old set of hollow chisels that I use for such a task (smack with a mallet).

trying to determine if the cost can be justified here considering that I own a few hollow chisels.

Are they easier to use for this task? Do they produce a better quality hole (no chipping - perfectly square)?

Anyone?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:44:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone know if these are better at forming the requisite square recesses for square plugs than a hollow chisel (from a mortiser)? I have an old set of hollow chisels that I use for such a task (smack with a mallet).

trying to determine if the cost can be justified here considering that I own a few hollow chisels.

Are they easier to use for this task? Do they produce a better quality hole (no chipping - perfectly square)?

Anyone?

This might help:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80&cat=1,43456
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Anyone know if these are better at forming the requisite square recesses
for square plugs than a hollow chisel (from a mortiser)? I have an old
set of hollow chisels that I use for such a task (smack with a mallet).

trying to determine if the cost can be justified here considering that I
own a few hollow chisels.

Are they easier to use for this task? Do they produce a better quality
hole (no chipping - perfectly square)?

Surely this is the exact purpose for which bevel edged and mortice chisels
have evolved over the last hundreds of years?