Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Carriage wheels

My wife and daughter perform in a community theater group. The group has
decided on "Oklahoma!" for this summer's production. The biggest set
construction challenge will be the surrey, specifically the spoked
wheels. I may decide to help out with the building.

I have no familiarity with the show, but apparently the surrey will have
to carry two people on four wheels. My first thought was to cut out a
bunch of pie slice holes from a sheet of 3/4" ply, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/11717012293/

Leaving aside that this would be a heck of a lot of tedious jigsaw work
(and routering to make the wheels round), do you think the resulting
wheel would be structurally sufficient?

We'd have to layer on some disks at the center to make a "hub", that
much I'm sure of. And I saw a video online in which a college production
(with access to a large shop, a bigger budget and a lot of free labor)
seems to have layered extra plywood circles on either side of the outer
edge to thicken the wheels. That made it look more authentic, to be
sure, but I wonder if it was structurally necessary. If not, I'm sure
"our" team would decide to forgo the extra work. Incidentally, unless
the extra layers were made in half- or quarter-circles, that's a lot of
ply to waste.

I considered other ideas as well (wooden hub and circumference, EMT
tubing for spokes), but so far the ones I've thought of seem like they
would require more precision than is likely to be available.

Any suggestions would be welcome. As an aside, does Sketchup always make
circles as such visibly-obvious polygons?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

That's a lot of work Greg - I'd just rent one from a local stable.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 07:29:39 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Or at least rent-borrow the undercarriage.

Around here it would not be hard to find a set of wheels to buy/borrow
(getting harder every year, but the old order and amish just to the
west still use them on their every-day buggies, while the local
Newborns use automotive wheels - usually the mini-spares that they can
get from the wreckers for free.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
[...]

I made wagon wheels for the cart in "Fiddler" using the technique you've
described. It was a high school production, so after cutting the circles at
home I had one of the students do all the jig saw work. The center hub was
a couple of pipe floor flanges screwed to the plywood. The next smaller
size pipe was used as the axle with pipe caps on each end. A large washer
held in place with a nail thru the axle was used on the side of the wheel
opposite the pipe cap to retain the wheel in position. A couple of artistic
students painted them and from the audience location, 20+ feet away, they
looked great.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Another thought--why not a disk, paint it black then paint the spokes
and rim white.

--
 GW Ross

 I'm setting my phaser on 'tickle.'

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/3/2014 9:13 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I imagine that's Plan B, and`it could happen.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/3/2014 7:29 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Ah. Perhaps I should have mentioned the location. We're in NY City, a
place not plentifully supplied with stables. Beyond that, the "venue" is
a local church hall. It has an actual stage, but space is limited. I
imagine the surrey will have to be built smaller than anything that
would actually be used on the road.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I'd be inclined to make the wheel in glued up layers... The spokes can be
quickly ripped on a table saw and the rim done in 1/4 circle segments on a
bandsaw using a pivot point (see Norm's circle cutter jig). Shorter
segments can be placed between the rim segments thus creating mortises...
with the rim segment joints staggered. The hub could be done the same way...
two disks with segments between them to create mortises. Let the spokes
protrude through the outside of the rim and then make the entire thing round
on the bandsaw using the circle cutting jig on the bandsaw. The last step
would be to the drill out the pivot hole to a larger size for an axle. This
approach would be quicker to cut out and cut way down on the waste...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a thought.
What about using a real bicycle tire, and fitting it with wood slats on the
spokes....
I am sure a person could come up with a wood clad, or theater craft, on a
bike tire to achieve
a similar look?
john

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Greg Guarino wrote:
...snipped...
Ah. Perhaps I should have mentioned the location. We're in NY City, a
place not plentifully supplied with stables. Beyond that, the "venue" is
a local church hall. It has an actual stage, but space is limited. I
imagine the surrey will have to be built smaller than anything that
would actually be used on the road.

Aren't those horse-drawn carriages still for rent around Central Park and
some other parts of NYC? In Baltimore we have a dwindling population
of roving produce vendors, locally called "arabbers" or arabs, that
sell their merchanidse from small horse-drawn wagons. Not nearly as common
as they were even 10 years ago, but still some around and their are a few
stables left within the city that support them. I'd be surprised if
there was not someplace in NYC that had a wagon you could use or alter
temporarily if needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

Any suggestions would be welcome. As an aside, does Sketchup always make
circles as such visibly-obvious polygons?

Nope, not if you know how to use the "divide" function in the context menu:

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/114015

Caveat: the smoother the circle (the more segments) the more CPU cycles it
to takes to render, so a model full of smooth circles, curves, etc can slow
down a marginal system.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/3/2014 4:25 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Any suggestions would be welcome. As an aside, does Sketchup always make
circles as such visibly-obvious polygons?

Sketchup does always make circles as polygons. However, by increasing
the number of sides to the polygon, the appearance problems can be
greatly reduced.

When creating a circle, you specify the number of segments (sides) by
typing a number followed by an 's' in the value control box. For
example 48s.

You can also change the number of segments in a circle that has already
been created by selecting the circle and changing the segments value in
the entity info window.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
My wife and daughter perform in a community theater group. The group
has decided on "Oklahoma!" for this summer's production. The biggest
set construction challenge will be the surrey, specifically the spoked
wheels. I may decide to help out with the building.

I have no familiarity with the show, but apparently the surrey will
have to carry two people on four wheels. My first thought was to cut
out a bunch of pie slice holes from a sheet of 3/4" ply, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/11717012293/

Leaving aside that this would be a heck of a lot of tedious jigsaw
work (and routering to make the wheels round), do you think the
resulting wheel would be structurally sufficient?

No
___________

As an aside, does Sketchup always
make circles as such visibly-obvious polygons?

It depends upon how many sides you tell it to use.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote

Aren't those horse-drawn carriages still for rent around Central Park and
some other parts of NYC? In Baltimore we have a dwindling population
of roving produce vendors, locally called "arabbers" or arabs, that
sell their merchanidse from small horse-drawn wagons. Not nearly as common
as they were even 10 years ago, but still some around and their are a few
stables left within the city that support them. I'd be surprised if
there was not someplace in NYC that had a wagon you could use or alter
temporarily if needed.

Better move fast on this one. The new mayor says his first official act in
office is to ban horse drawn rides in NYC cuz it is "cruel" to force these
poor animals to do some work. He wants to replace them with electric carts.
Ain't nothing more romantic that a ride through Central Park in a golf cart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Find the closest Amish or Mennonite community and ask if you can borrow/
rent some.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Better move fast on this one. The new mayor says his first official
act in office is to ban horse drawn rides in NYC cuz it is "cruel"
to force these poor animals to do some work. He wants to replace
them with electric carts. Ain't nothing more romantic that a ride
through Central Park in a golf cart.

You silver tongued devil, you put a whole new perspective on things.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Lee Michaels leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Larry W" wrote

Aren't those horse-drawn carriages still for rent around Central Park and
some other parts of NYC? In Baltimore we have a dwindling population
of roving produce vendors, locally called "arabbers" or arabs, that
sell their merchanidse from small horse-drawn wagons. Not nearly as common
as they were even 10 years ago, but still some around and their are a few
stables left within the city that support them. I'd be surprised if
there was not someplace in NYC that had a wagon you could use or alter
temporarily if needed.

Better move fast on this one. The new mayor says his first official act in
office is to ban horse drawn rides in NYC cuz it is "cruel" to force these
poor animals to do some work. He wants to replace them with electric carts.
Ain't nothing more romantic that a ride through Central Park in a golf cart.

You know, I'm as sympathetic to the plight of the poor draft animal as the
next guy, but if this is the first priority of the new mayor, either
his priorites are realy screwed up, or NYC must be in a whole lot better
shape than I would ever have imagined...

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 19:53:24 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
[...]

Typical. Maybe he can pick up a carriage, cheap. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/2014 7:53 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry W" wrote

[...]

Yea the new mayor thinks the stop and frisk was a bad idea. He wants to

Those poor horses ... Those horses are better cared for than many
horses. Most have a healthy look, no starving horses.

He wants to give from the rich to the poor, those poor that have IPhones
big screen TV's, that the taxpayer pays for.

I am not a fan of the super rich, too many got there by cheating the
system. But I am not a fan of robbing from the rich and giving to the
poor. Because there are a good number that got there from hard work, and
took risks.

I can't believe that the voters voted for DeBlasio, he just was too
scarry in where he wanted to go.. I've seen NY in the 60's and 70's.. I
would not want to go back to that. Gulianni did a good job of cleaning
up the city. Yes Bratten and Kelly were 2 of the better chief of police.

I think it's funny how people don't like stop and frisk. But the areas
where it has helped the most is in the areas that are the most
dangerous. They don't want stop and frisk, but then they claim that the
police are not doing enough... you can't have it both ways. If they
don't stop and frisk, then all they can do is wait for the crime, and
then it's after the fact. So I guess NY'ers decided they want to go
back to crime and the cops will be looking for the perps

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/05/2014 02:05 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Truth is, if there isn't a job for these horses to do most of them will
be put down or sent to slaughter houses, no one feeds multiple teams of
horses just for the fun of it.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote

Truth is, if there isn't a job for these horses to do most of them will
be put down or sent to slaughter houses, no one feeds multiple teams of
horses just for the fun of it.

basilisk

'Zactly what I was thinking, too.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

An advice in two parts:

1) The making of a carriage wheel is hard, if you can read some french try
read this

http://www.ecurieattelage.com/charro...roues-en-bois/

2) Put "carriage wheels"in Google, there is a lot of useful information.

Bye

GD

"Greg Guarino" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2014 2:42 PM, G.Dubois wrote:
An advice in two parts:

1) The making of a carriage wheel is hard, if you can read some french
try read this

http://www.ecurieattelage.com/charro...roues-en-bois/

As it happens, I can read a bit of French, but I'm afraid that site
deals with the making of real carriage wheels with tuned spokes strong
enough to rumble down a dirt road somewhere. In community theater, they
hold to the "30 foot rule": If it looks good from 30 feet away, it's
good enough. Now in this case the wheels will have to safely carry 2
people a few feet on a smooth floor, but that's all that will be asked
of them from a practical standpoint.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:18:02 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 1/7/2014 2:42 PM, G.Dubois wrote:
An advice in two parts:

1) The making of a carriage wheel is hard, if you can read some french
try read this

http://www.ecurieattelage.com/charro...roues-en-bois/

As it happens, I can read a bit of French, but I'm afraid that site
deals with the making of real carriage wheels with tuned spokes strong
enough to rumble down a dirt road somewhere. In community theater, they
hold to the "30 foot rule": If it looks good from 30 feet away, it's
good enough. Now in this case the wheels will have to safely carry 2
people a few feet on a smooth floor, but that's all that will be asked
of them from a practical standpoint.

Plywood cut out (make a router pattern and half rounds attached
audience side) some threaded rod for an axle through a 2x4, bushings
would be a good idea.

Mark