Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default proper oil in carriage of lathe

I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm
not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage
that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"al" wrote in message
I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm
not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage
that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

If you could get non detergent 10W oil it would work fine. The
detergent oil will screw up the oil wicks and keep the dirt in
suspension which is rough on the wearing parts.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

al wrote:
I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but
I'm not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the
carriage that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

There's a Logan Lathe List on yahoogroups ... and it's ran by none other
than Scott Logan hisself , a descendent of the Original Logan ...
Go to www.lathe.com , Scott also maintains an online store for parts for
these wonderful machines , including parts manuals and user manuals .
Mine's a Pow'rKraft 94TLC2136 , made for Monkey Wards in late 1951-early1952
.. It's the same age as me , but in better shape ...
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:38:51 -0700, al wrote:

I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm
not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage
that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

It'll probably be fine. Jack oil is typically a light hydraulic oil,
approx SAE10 and non-detergent. If you're nervous about the jack oil,
Mobil DTE 24 is an ISO VG32 (approx SAE10) hydraulic oil. DTE Light is
an ISO VG32 "circulating" oil, and also suitable.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-26, al wrote:
I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm
not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage
that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Most likely yes. You need 10w non-detergent oil. My Clausing lathe
needs Mobil DTE 24 per Clausing company. It is not very expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 26, 3:38*pm, al wrote:
I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm
not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage
that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

Scott Logan has said, more than once, that he uses Vactra way oil for
EVERYTHING except variable speed drives. I think, when it comes to how
to lube a Logan lathe, I'd follow his advice.

You ought to subscribe to the yahoo group "lathe-list" which is
moderated by Scott Logan. If you search the archives there, you'll
find his posts about using Vactra.