Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining

When staining wood, how many coats are normal? Do some stain and nothing
more or do some lacquer over it? I understand it will probably depend on
several variables such as stain color, stain type, sanding prep (final
grit) and wood but is there a general rule for staining?

I'm encountering an slight concern after staining cedar with two coats
though I'm uncertain if it's normal. When viewing the wood directly, it
looks fine. When I lay it down and view it with light reflection, I can
see some shiny spots and dull spots, which I simply think it's just the
way the stain absorbed into the wood based on it's texture/grain. I'm
trying to determine if I should add another coat or lacquer over it and
be done.

What say the experts?

Thank you

Oak staining help mark Woodworking 3 April 15th 08 03:46 AM
Staining Charles Middleton UK diy 4 January 10th 06 01:23 AM
Gel-Staining HELP! bby Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 07:02 AM
Staining rag? Corey Woodworking 14 February 20th 05 12:32 PM
Staining Ash.?. stoutman Woodworking 6 December 30th 04 01:48 AM