Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Staining

On 12/31/2013 8:58 AM, Meanie wrote:
When staining wood, how many coats are normal? Do some stain and nothing
more or do some lacquer over it? I understand it will probably depend on
several variables such as stain color, stain type, sanding prep (final
grit) and wood but is there a general rule for staining?

I'm encountering an slight concern after staining cedar with two coats
though I'm uncertain if it's normal. When viewing the wood directly, it
looks fine. When I lay it down and view it with light reflection, I can
see some shiny spots and dull spots, which I simply think it's just the
way the stain absorbed into the wood based on it's texture/grain. I'm
trying to determine if I should add another coat or lacquer over it and
be done.

What say the experts?

Thank you

To date there are 1,233,367 correct answers and as many incorrect answers.

The most common of stains require one coat and multiple coats of clear
to protect the finish.

Some stains have a finish built in. That sounds like what you might be
using. Minwax by any chance? The trouble with a built in
finish/varnish is that you are essentially staining wood and then
staining varnish with each successive coat. The trouble also is that
while you might not want to go any darker with successive coats the
surface may not be properly protected, this is often visible by the
appearance of shinny and dull spots.

For best results, read the directions on the can.

If you don't like the results, try another brand. Not all stains and
varnishes are created equal and you absolutely will get different results.

A few rules to consider.

1. Don't scrimp on the finish. The quality of the stain/finish can
make a great looking project look terrible. This is no time to start
trying to save a few dollars.

2. Don't try a, new to you, product on your project piece, always
practice on scraps of the same wood. It is much better to change brands
before apply to your project if you don't like the results.