Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop vacuum pressure

I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I want
to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put them
into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I know
that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long distance. I
would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that would be 40 to
50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of suction and efficiency
would I experience through that length, with only one opening at the end
of the hose?

thanks

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I
want to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put
them into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I
know that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long
distance. I would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that
would be 40 to 50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of
suction and efficiency would I experience through that length, with
only one opening at the end of the hose?

Just thinking out loud: How many pounds of pecans can you fit inside of
40 feet of hose? One pecan at at time should work just as well as with
a short hose, right (or no?)

Bill

thanks

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2013 8:21 PM, SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I want
to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put them
into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I know
that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long distance. I
would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that would be 40 to
50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of suction and efficiency
would I experience through that length, with only one opening at the end
of the hose?

thanks

Steve

Wow, this came back like a boomerang... we had this discussion last year..

Did anything change ??? Did the info from last year age out because the
pecans changed size... did they get bigger.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2013 9:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 12/19/2013 8:21 PM, SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I want
to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put them
into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I know
that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long distance. I
would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that would be 40 to
50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of suction and efficiency
would I experience through that length, with only one opening at the end
of the hose?

thanks

Steve

Wow, this came back like a boomerang... we had this discussion last year..

Did anything change ??? Did the info from last year age out because the
pecans changed size... did they get bigger.

I do not have pecans, but gum balls. A leaf blower is adequate to get
them all in one area. You still have to pick them up. Shovel??

I have used it a couple of season, I decided it was not a good idea to
clean the underside of my mower with gum balls.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

I could not tolerate sweetgum balls in my yard. If the tree is large
enough, the wood makes beautiful bowls. Not much good for anything else.

--
 GW Ross

 Health food makes me sick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:50:59 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

I could not tolerate sweetgum balls in my yard. If the tree is large
enough, the wood makes beautiful bowls. Not much good for anything else.

Actually the gumballs make good mulch for plants that slugs like.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote:

Actually the gumballs make good mulch for plants that slugs like.

Do they do a better job than stale beer in an aluminum pie pan?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:00:01 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Markem" wrote:

Actually the gumballs make good mulch for plants that slugs like.

Do they do a better job than stale beer in an aluminum pie pan?

Yes the slugs do not slide along because of the texture. But we had an
abundance of them at our previous house.

Side note when burning gumballs in the driveway in a Weber kettle make
sure the wind ain't howling, but the zoysia came in real nice that
spring.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2013 7:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 12/19/2013 8:21 PM, SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I want
to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put them
into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I know
that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long distance. I
would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that would be 40 to
50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of suction and efficiency
would I experience through that length, with only one opening at the end
of the hose?

thanks

Steve

Wow, this came back like a boomerang... we had this discussion last year..

Did anything change ??? Did the info from last year age out because the
pecans changed size... did they get bigger.

Nothing changed. Your life is still so small that you can remember
these minute threads from a year ago. It HAS to suck to be you. In the
meantime, there could be new people here, new ideas, new slants.

I really like the idea of the lengths of pvc or abs rather than the
irregular surface of the hose. IIRC, that was not brought up last year
in that discussion.

The world is flat, and the patent office still needs to be closed
because we have invented everything to be invented. Now off with your
chucker ..................

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2013 6:40 PM, Bill wrote:
SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I
want to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put
them into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I
know that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long
distance. I would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that
would be 40 to 50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of
suction and efficiency would I experience through that length, with
only one opening at the end of the hose?

Just thinking out loud: How many pounds of pecans can you fit inside of
40 feet of hose? One pecan at at time should work just as well as with
a short hose, right (or no?)

Bill

thanks

It is getting to the tree, and working around the tree that make a
longer hose advantageous to moving a getting heavier all the time large
Shop-Vac with 40-60# of pecans in it

Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I realize that. I was just suggesting that maybe there was no drop in
suction--just that, with a longer hose, you would have to limit the
number of pecans "in the pipeline" at one time. It must be great to have
so many pecans to eat! : )

Shop-vac vacuum PHT[_2_] Woodworking 20 March 1st 09 02:45 AM
Pressure Vacuum Breakers [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 13th 07 09:11 PM
Suction pressure in vacuum trintch9 Home Repair 1 May 12th 06 03:46 PM
Pressure Vacuum Cleaner for Whole House Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 29 April 13th 06 05:17 AM
Shop Vacuum Question Carlton Duke Woodworking 4 March 22nd 05 01:34 AM