Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What are the warmest winter socks?

Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 4:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.
Thanks.

Probably thick Merino wool socks. Add some insulated work boots, and
your feet will stay warm in sub-zero weather.

But cold toes are the least of your problems. With cold temperatures,
glue doesn't work right, finishes won't apply or cure properly, etc.

You could get a propane space heater. Maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH12...ced+air+heater

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Possibly not the warmest overall, that normally comes from insulated boots,
but Smartwool hiking socks are super. They are, above all, comfortable and
absorbent and all Merino wool. I hiked the Scottish highlands in the Spring
with them and can't say that my feet ever got cold no matter how nasty the
weather got. Not cheap by any stretch but I wouldn't buy anything else and
they seem destined to last for many years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Battery powered socks. They are available with rechargeables, and work
great. If you feet are cold, you are cold. Peeeeeeriod.

--
Jim in NC
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 6:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 10/24/2013 4:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.
Thanks.

Probably thick Merino wool socks. Add some insulated work boots, and
your feet will stay warm in sub-zero weather.

But cold toes are the least of your problems. With cold temperatures,
glue doesn't work right, finishes won't apply or cure properly, etc.

You could get a propane space heater. Maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH12...ced+air+heater

I agree with this. You would need to move around a lot in order to
generate heat and stay warm. The feet may stay warm with great socks,
but then you'll need gloves, which would get messy if you glue and you
wouldn't be able to feel your work. Then, you'll need to constantly
remove them and put them back on. It's a hassle.

Get a heater for the shop. That will be your best investment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Battery powered socks. They are available with rechargeables, and
work great. If you feet are cold, you are cold. Peeeeeeriod.

Or, those little heat packs you can get from WalMart, HD, etc. They work
great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grabber-F...5#.UmnVLVOzKwc

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

---------------------------------------

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Or, those little heat packs you can get from WalMart, HD, etc. They
work great.

Every year about this time, threads like this keep reminding me why I
left NE Ohio.

Was a little nippy today, that off shore breeze kept the temps in the
mid 60's
all day long.

Oh well, 90's by the weekend.

BTW, do they still make Jon-EE hand warmers?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keep Oder Eaters in all your shoes. You may not realize how they keep
your feet warm until they fall apart a year or two later. But they
"suck" moisture out of the shoe making it "warmer". I use the Wal~Mart
variety.

On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 6:25 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Possibly not the warmest overall, that normally comes from insulated
boots, but Smartwool hiking socks are super. They are, above all,
comfortable and absorbent and all Merino wool. I hiked the Scottish
highlands in the Spring with them and can't say that my feet ever got
cold no matter how nasty the weather got. Not cheap by any stretch but I
wouldn't buy anything else and they seem destined to last for many years.

The problem for the OP is that he won't be hiking. I once stood for a
couple of hours in zero-degree (F) weather watching the Quebec Carnaval
Parade. I had serious cold-weather boots (with 1/2"-thick felt inner
"booties") and a couple pairs of weather rated socks, but my toes went
from cold to aching and then to unbearable nonetheless. However, they
got all the way back to "comfortable" in just two blocks of walking.

Activity will keep you warmer whatever you wear. I can't ever remember
being cold while shoveling snow, for instance, even though I
deliberately dress lightly for it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 6:57 AM, mungedaddress wrote:
Keep Oder Eaters in all your shoes. You may not realize how they keep
your feet warm until they fall apart a year or two later. But they
"suck" moisture out of the shoe making it "warmer". I use the Wal~Mart
variety.

On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Very cool, good to know.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

You could try Corrymoor's mohair (goat) socks.
http://www.corrymoor.com/the-socks.html

This is UK so YMMV. I've used them for over twenty years and would highly
recommend.
Not the cheapest but very good. I pick up a few pairs every time I'm in that
neck of the woods.
Good for all seasons, particularly the cold bits. I rarely wear any others.
HTH,
Nick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 11:34 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

If OP is going to be in his shop and just standing then he probably doesn't
need to be there. I mean, who just _stands_ in the shop without moving around?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 3:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

But cold toes are the least of your problems. With cold temperatures,
glue doesn't work right, finishes won't apply or cure properly, etc.

A good time to focus on very old woodworking techniques that don't
involve chemicals, just mechanically-joined worked and unfinished
surfaces. You could practice those hand skills and remember just why we
invented power tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A nice chair in front of a wood stove with felt slippers on.
john