Posted to rec.woodworking
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default What are the warmest winter socks?

On 10/25/2013 11:34 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/24/2013 6:25 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
On 10/24/2013 6:02 PM, Michael wrote:
Unheated shop, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Possibly not the warmest overall, that normally comes from insulated
boots, but Smartwool hiking socks are super. They are, above all,
comfortable and absorbent and all Merino wool. I hiked the Scottish
highlands in the Spring with them and can't say that my feet ever got
cold no matter how nasty the weather got. Not cheap by any stretch but I
wouldn't buy anything else and they seem destined to last for many years.

The problem for the OP is that he won't be hiking. I once stood for a
couple of hours in zero-degree (F) weather watching the Quebec Carnaval
Parade. I had serious cold-weather boots (with 1/2"-thick felt inner
"booties") and a couple pairs of weather rated socks, but my toes went from
cold to aching and then to unbearable nonetheless. However, they got all
the way back to "comfortable" in just two blocks of walking.

Activity will keep you warmer whatever you wear. I can't ever remember
being cold while shoveling snow, for instance, even though I deliberately
dress lightly for it.

If OP is going to be in his shop and just standing then he probably doesn't
need to be there. I mean, who just _stands_ in the shop without moving around?