Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socks and wellies weather...

Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump down
and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump down
and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Hand-knitted socks, long enough to come past the curve of the calf, stay
in place very well. Assuming, of course, that the knitter sized them
correctly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Spamlet wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump down
and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Hand-knitted socks, long enough to come past the curve of the calf, stay
in place very well. Assuming, of course, that the knitter sized them
correctly.

Having worn steel toe capped wellies for years on building sites, I
always buy boot socks (sometimes called "sea boot socks") that are long
enough to be folded over the top of the wellies. They don't fall down.
You wear the socks *outside* your trousers.

For an example of how it's done properly, watch Compo in older series of
"last of the Summer Wine". But don't go to bed in them like he did.

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump down
and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Cheers,

2 pairs, one thin undersock to stay on your foot and move within a thick
sock which stays fairly fixed in the boot aided by being turned over the
top of the boot.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:32:40 GMT, "Spamlet"
wrote:

Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump down
and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Cheers,

long socks turned over the tops of the wellingtons
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message
m...
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies. I've
tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still manage to slump
down and try to take the trousers with them!

How do the experts manage the trick?

Cheers,

Experts buy 'seaboot socks' which reach above the knee and fold the tops
down over the top of the welly.. It also stops the welly chafing the back
of the leg.
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:39:33 UTC, Bruce wrote:

Having worn steel toe capped wellies for years on building sites, I
always buy boot socks (sometimes called "sea boot socks") that are long
enough to be folded over the top of the wellies. They don't fall down.
You wear the socks *outside* your trousers.

Got mine from Screwfix!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked
out how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the
wellies. I've tried pinning the socks to my trousers, but they still
manage to slump down and try to take the trousers with them!

Somebody call the fashion police - quickly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:39:33 UTC, Bruce wrote:

Having worn steel toe capped wellies for years on building sites, I
always buy boot socks (sometimes called "sea boot socks") that are long
enough to be folded over the top of the wellies. They don't fall down.
You wear the socks *outside* your trousers.

Got mine from Screwfix!

And why not?

I got my last lot from eBay. 6 pairs for £3.50 including postage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:39:33 UTC, Bruce wrote:

Having worn steel toe capped wellies for years on building sites, I
always buy boot socks (sometimes called "sea boot socks") that are long
enough to be folded over the top of the wellies. They don't fall down.
You wear the socks *outside* your trousers.

Got mine from Screwfix!

And why not?

I got my last lot from eBay. 6 pairs for £3.50 including postage.

Sorry, should have been £5.50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:40:03 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

2 pairs, one thin undersock to stay on your foot and move within a thick
sock which stays fairly fixed in the boot aided by being turned over the
top of the boot.

Thinking about what happens to socks with wellies on my feet it's the two
pairs that is the key. If I just have my ordinary socks on and put on
wellies to nip out in the wet the socks end up around my toes in a very
short space of time. If I put on a pair of ordinary short walking boot
socks over my ordinary sock everything stays in place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 23:23:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:40:03 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

2 pairs, one thin undersock to stay on your foot and move within a thick
sock which stays fairly fixed in the boot aided by being turned over the
top of the boot.

Thinking about what happens to socks with wellies on my feet it's the two
pairs that is the key. If I just have my ordinary socks on and put on
wellies to nip out in the wet the socks end up around my toes in a very
short space of time. If I put on a pair of ordinary short walking boot
socks over my ordinary sock everything stays in place.

I agree. I've virtually given up wearing 'dress' socks in favour of
proper walking socks (e.g. Brasher) which are more comfortable, last
much longer and stay in place on your lower limbs. What's more, you
can easily traipse around the house in 'stockinged feet' without
suffering too much from those odd cable clips, tin tacks, 13A plugs
and DIL ICs.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about treading on tacks and tacks but when wellies are
necessary for long periods a combination of Argyll 3/4 boots and medium
weight Smartwool socks
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/smartwoo...COREBMFB130201
take a lot of beating.

--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all who replied with tips on this one.
I used to do the long socks rolled over the top of the boots trick, but
wondered if there was an alternative that enabled use of the full waterproof
length of boot.

Owain:

I had wondered about sock suspenders - generally having veered away from
such kinky and bankmanager associated items. Not knowing anything about how
they are attached to the leg and stay in place, can you enlighten me as to
where abouts on the leg they are attached, and if this is actaully above the
normal wellie hight: I seem to have a notion in my head that they attach at
the calf, which would not be suitable for wellie wearing?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Spamlet wrote:
Thanks to all who replied with tips on this one.
I used to do the long socks rolled over the top of the boots trick, but
wondered if there was an alternative that enabled use of the full waterproof
length of boot.

Owain:

I had wondered about sock suspenders - generally having veered away from
such kinky and bankmanager associated items. Not knowing anything about how
they are attached to the leg and stay in place, can you enlighten me as to
where abouts on the leg they are attached, and if this is actaully above the
normal wellie hight: I seem to have a notion in my head that they attach at
the calf, which would not be suitable for wellie wearing?

Cheers

Maybe the socks used to be made of oiled wool? (In the old days... :-)
) That is reasonably effective in minimising 'wetting'. But if you need
the full protection of the boots to go up further, you might need longer
boots.

I know nothing about sock suspenders, nor do I wish to...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb, 17:32, "Spamlet" wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 *- or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies.

My welly socks are Gore-tex. Few quid, mil-surplus shop, lurid
turqouise-green colour. Lovely and warm.

Another short pair, with suitable rear-entry flap and Velcro added,
and a spud hole cut in the sole, are for cycling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
Spamlet wrote:
I had wondered about sock suspenders - generally having veered away from
such kinky and bankmanager associated items. Not knowing anything about
how they are attached to the leg and stay in place, can you enlighten me
as to where abouts on the leg they are attached, and if this is actaully
above the normal wellie hight: I seem to have a notion in my head that
they attach at the calf, which would not be suitable for wellie wearing?

They attach at the top of the calf and enable shorter socks to benefit
from the bulge at the top of the calf muscle restricting downward sliding
of the elastic.

YLMV (your legs may vary)

Owain

Ah, I thought so. Nice idea though.
Like the 'YLMV' : they do, but not that much!

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 5 Feb, 17:32, "Spamlet" wrote:
Having just bought my first pair of wellies since about the winter of
62/3 - or whatever was the really snowy one - I still haven't worked out
how to prevent my socks from ending up in the toes of the wellies.

My welly socks are Gore-tex. Few quid, mil-surplus shop, lurid
turqouise-green colour. Lovely and warm.

"Another short pair, with suitable rear-entry flap and Velcro added,
and a spud hole cut in the sole, are for cycling."

?? The mind boggles!