Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bifold panel doors

I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an exact
30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door size with
specific opening size?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:35:05 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an exact
30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door size with
specific opening size?

Assuming the opening really is 60", and square, I'd make them 30" and
then plane them to size before hanging.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an exact
30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door size with
specific opening size?

Thanks

You need the radius of the door swing (hing end) minimum clearance at
the pivot end. If the panel is 2 inches thick, and the pivot pin is 1
inch from the end of the door panel, you need the distance from the
center of the pin to the corner of the door panel That is about 1.4
inches, plus a little clearance - so say 1.5. That means .5 inch
clearance at the "hinge" end. You need about half that at the closing
end to allow the corner of the door to get around at the end..I like
to keep the gap on both ends the same, myself.

Now, GENERALLY the panels are less than 2 inches thick, so you don't
need quite the half inch IF the pivot is mounted an inch or less from
the edge. I believe standard stock bifolds are sized 1 inch smaller
than the finished opening size..

Double bifolds for a 60 inch opening would need to be a MAXIMUM of
29.5 inches per side, or about 14.75inches per panel if your fold
hinges are properly set in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely correct! You need a plan and you need to know a little
geometry. If you have the plan and the knowledge you will know
exactly what the perfect width for the panels will be. That assumes a
perfect opening which it probably wont be.

Once you got the width calculated all you need to do is take a wild
ass guess on how much they will grow in humid weather! Subtract the
value of your wild ass guess from your calculated value and you'll be
close.

Oh, wait! What about the hinges? Are they mortised or not? Are the
going to be attached to the adjacent sides of the doors or to the
inside surface of the doors? That decision will also affect the width
of the panels. Aren't you glad you asked?

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Meanie" wrote in message

I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3
openings/entrances. If one opening is 5 feet wide, I know
I don't want the doors to be an exact 30" for each side
(or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door
size with specific opening size?

As said plus another reason for being a bit narrower than
the opening is to allow the doors to be hung plumb in an opening that is
very likely to be less than square.

I generally hide the gap between door edge and wall with a molding.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2013 6:35 PM, Meanie wrote:
I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an exact
30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door size with
specific opening size?

For 1 1/4 doors, and using off the shelf hardwa

Rough Opening less 1/2"

A smart man will buy his hardware _first_, then build the doors to the
opening and hardware requirements.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/20/2013 6:35 PM, Meanie wrote:
I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an
exact 30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much
clearance should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door
size with specific opening size?

For 1 1/4 doors, and using off the shelf hardwa

Rough Opening less 1/2"

A smart man will buy his hardware _first_, then build the doors to the
opening and hardware requirements.

I searched diligently through the FAQ for this group, and I could find no
requirement to be smart...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I searched diligently through the FAQ for this group, and I could find
no requirement to be smart...

Fortunately, most of us are smart... but how did we get so many people
named "alec"?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Mine too. Money back guarantee on all information provided on
use-net.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 21, 2013 9:02:15 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

A smart man will buy his hardware _first_, then build the doors to the

opening and hardware requirements.

Having used my own tried and true method of screwing up first before getting on with things, I can vouch for that advice.

I have installed light weight doors that have several small hinges on them and have NO foot bolt arrangement. I have installed doors that require you drill the footer into concrete to secure them. I have installed small sets that only attach with a continuous rail on the top of the jamb, and have an "L" bracket at the bottom that is a pivot point for the door hardware. When I put them in a closet opening a couple of years ago I put a threshold on top of the carpet in the room to hold the hardware because the client didn't want to have his carpet cut. In each case, the hardware is different on all applications.

Of course, none of that means much if the opeings in question aren't pretty square. There isn't THAT much adjustment to the hardware no matter the maker.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there a general guide/rule for door size with

specific opening size?

Thanks

FYI, having added\replaced closet doors in several homes and rental properties, I have found bi-fold doors are VERY unforgiving of out-of-square situations. In other words, bi-folds are almost always a problem and trust me it, ain't easy to make them fit right in most instances. I threw out the last pair after hacking on them for quite some time trying to get them to have a decent fit in a bad hole. The sliding mirror doors took 10 minutes and look fine. I would say build-too-fit is pretty much what is called for with bi-fold. I have abandoned even trying to use them in any of my rentals even though they really offer the best access. Of course I buy off the shelf units and they typically don't have much material or built in capacity to be squared up, unlike sliders.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought about replacement bifold doors when I was updating three closets, but elected to go with solid panel doors from HD. Happy with the results, except June thru September when my perfectly sized doors swell with the pride of my craftsmanship. Spent a lot of time on mortising the hinges, but should have figured out something for the annual humidity. Very nice fit in all but summer where I have to close both simultaneously.

Larry