Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default bifold panel doors

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:23:20 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:35:05 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

I plan to make bifold panel closet doors for 3 openings/entrances. If
one opening is 5 feet wide, I know I don't want the doors to be an exact
30" for each side (or do I?) due to obvious reasons. How much clearance
should I provide? Is there a general guide/rule for door size with
specific opening size?

Thanks

You need the radius of the door swing (hing end) minimum clearance at
the pivot end. If the panel is 2 inches thick, and the pivot pin is 1
inch from the end of the door panel, you need the distance from the
center of the pin to the corner of the door panel That is about 1.4
inches, plus a little clearance - so say 1.5. That means .5 inch
clearance at the "hinge" end. You need about half that at the closing
end to allow the corner of the door to get around at the end..I like
to keep the gap on both ends the same, myself.

Now, GENERALLY the panels are less than 2 inches thick, so you don't
need quite the half inch IF the pivot is mounted an inch or less from
the edge. I believe standard stock bifolds are sized 1 inch smaller
than the finished opening size..

Double bifolds for a 60 inch opening would need to be a MAXIMUM of
29.5 inches per side, or about 14.75inches per panel if your fold
hinges are properly set in.

Absolutely correct! You need a plan and you need to know a little
geometry. If you have the plan and the knowledge you will know
exactly what the perfect width for the panels will be. That assumes a
perfect opening which it probably wont be.

Once you got the width calculated all you need to do is take a wild
ass guess on how much they will grow in humid weather! Subtract the
value of your wild ass guess from your calculated value and you'll be
close.

Oh, wait! What about the hinges? Are they mortised or not? Are the
going to be attached to the adjacent sides of the doors or to the
inside surface of the doors? That decision will also affect the width
of the panels. Aren't you glad you asked?

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.