Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saw Blades

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Some make knifes out of them. If you don't want to, contact local boy
scouts, or ag teacher at the local high school.

Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good
blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

They were garbage and still are

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

I think you are shooting down my idea as I was going to say make clocks out of them. I always thought that was a cheesy thing but hey, maybe on ebay you could make a killing.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2013 6:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

What are they and what's wrong w/ 'em?

I generally keep that sort for the rough work rather than "using up" the
sharp on better stuff for no good purpose.

Then again, I do quite a lot of rough work as compared to the amount of
actual cabinet/furniture work these days so perhaps you've no need...

Guess depending on where, and just how bad is "bad", I'm always
collecting more for the purpose. 10" I presume?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

On 10/1/2013 6:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good
blades. Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in
the recycling?

What are they and what's wrong w/ 'em?

I generally keep that sort for the rough work rather than "using up"
the sharp on better stuff for no good purpose.

Then again, I do quite a lot of rough work as compared to the amount
of actual cabinet/furniture work these days so perhaps you've no
need...

Guess depending on where, and just how bad is "bad", I'm always
collecting more for the purpose. 10" I presume?

They're mostly all steel, dull (never were sharp), and haven't been run
in years. I'm sure the blade storage was ok (they were hung on the
wall), but who knows how they'd run now. Once sharpened, you might have
a gem or a toy.

There's one Irwin Marathon blade that's missing a carbide tooth as well
as being dull. Asking Forrest to sharpen it would cost more than the
entire blade cost (and I'd probably still have low quality carbide.)

There's also a 7 1/4" or two.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sell them or give them to artists who paint pictures on them or have a
picture painted on it for yourself. Many years ago my father had a 2 man saw
and had an artist paint the house I was born in on it.

On 1-Oct-2013, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.

Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

They make good frisbees when out over by an ocean bluff.
Sell them to the local gang members for shooting stars?
Sometimes if used properly they make good fishing weights.
Christmas tree ornaments.
Mobiles.
Wall decorations.
just a few thoughts.
john

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry for the jokes.
I usually get mine sharpened, although they never seem to be the same
regardless of who, sharpens them.
Carbide will sharpen, although if any actual teeth are still intact.
The set seems to be culprit.
They are good for cutting nail embedded, or dirty wood too.
john

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.
Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the
recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/2/2013 1:56 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

What are they and what's wrong w/ 'em?

I generally keep that sort for the rough work rather than "using up"
the sharp on better stuff for no good purpose.

They're mostly all steel, dull (never were sharp), and haven't been run
in years. I'm sure the blade storage was ok (they were hung on the
wall), but who knows how they'd run now. Once sharpened, you might have
a gem or a toy.

There's one Irwin Marathon blade that's missing a carbide tooth as well
as being dull. Asking Forrest to sharpen it would cost more than the
entire blade cost (and I'd probably still have low quality carbide.)

There's also a 7 1/4" or two.

Well, I was going to offer to pay the flat rate USPS box fare plus round
it up to some even number if you were up to the effort of stuffing them
in one and carrying 'em to the PO...I touch up non-carbide by hand quite
a lot for the salvaged barn, feed bunks, etc., ... wood that I recycle
quite a lot of for alternate use.

It's really quite a sight to take some of this old 2x12 fir or syp
that's 60-100 yo and whack off the really weathered to reveal the
underlying old growth material still inside...but, it's tough on blades
'cuz there's occasionally a missed remnant plus the dirt, etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:00:45 -0500, dpb wrote:
It's really quite a sight to take some of this old 2x12 fir or syp
that's 60-100 yo and whack off the really weathered to reveal the
underlying old growth material still inside..

I'm guessing it feels like new found wood. How do you handle flat
surfaces? Those missed remnants and dirt would play havoc with planer
blades. Spend a lot of time with a metal detector?
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

Well, I was going to offer to pay the flat rate USPS box fare plus
round it up to some even number if you were up to the effort of
stuffing them in one and carrying 'em to the PO...I touch up
non-carbide by hand quite a lot for the salvaged barn, feed bunks,
etc., ... wood that I recycle quite a lot of for alternate use.

It's really quite a sight to take some of this old 2x12 fir or syp
that's 60-100 yo and whack off the really weathered to reveal the
underlying old growth material still inside...but, it's tough on
blades 'cuz there's occasionally a missed remnant plus the dirt, etc.,

Sounds like a good use for them. I'd be happy to get a flat rate box
and send them to you.

My e-mail address is puckdropper (at) yahoo dot com

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/3/2013 10:16 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:00:45 -0500, wrote:
It's really quite a sight to take some of this old 2x12 fir or syp
that's 60-100 yo and whack off the really weathered to reveal the
underlying old growth material still inside..

I'm guessing it feels like new found wood. How do you handle flat
surfaces? Those missed remnants and dirt would play havoc with planer
blades. Spend a lot of time with a metal detector?

Nah, I pull what I find and clean up some but don't worry about it too
much. There's very little that has been surface nailed--it's mostly
either salvaged structures like the fill-in shed between the barn and
the old silos we took down or the wide stuff from the old feed bunks
were built w/ a single-plank sides/ends and the only nails were the
bottoms nailed into the sides/ends. The legs were 4x4 bolted and a
couple of 1/8" by 2" strap straps bent and bolted at the sides went
under for intermediate support. They were 12' long so could carry on
the rear tractor platform thru all the 14' gates to move from one lot to
another...we quit feeding years ago and they've just sat there and I got
tired of them being in the way when trying to clean up the lots and
didn't have a functional one left in the group so drug them up on a slab
and pile 'em up and began to salvage enough to end up with 3-4 shortened
ones for the horse salt, etc., ...

They were used for feeding ensilage for years which is acidic such that
the 3/8" bolts thru the legs have corroded away to as little as a 1/16"
left in the middles while the outside ends still look nearly pristine.
16d commons in the bottoms to the edges are about like a furniture tack
at the head end and then there may be a half-inch section inside the
2x12 that's the size of a 8d or so, maybe...all the rest is basically
"just gone"... And that's in dry country w/ annual rainfall 20".

Anyway back to the question -- I have an old Rockwell/Delta Model 13
planer and I just keep a set of old knives in it -- a knick or two
doesn't matter for the cleanup and I can swap out if really need a clean
surface. The knives on this are much heavier than the little lunchbox
guys; it's built on the same model as the larger industrial planers w/
full cast beds and all--it ways 350 lb or so I'd reckon.

It came from an old furniture factory in PA years ago--I got in in the
early '80s; I think its manufacture date is sometime in early 70s or
even late '60s. This factory had 27 of these arranged in 9 rows of 3 --
their rough stock all came in and was thicknessed to working dimensions
by the three passes. These became available when they finally upgraded
to fewer 18" and 20" machines to cut the number of operators down.
Unfortunately, it didn't work as a business model w/ the changing face
of furniture manufacturing in the US and the whole facility went
belly-up by the early '90s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in :

[...]

I was feeling lucky one day and picked up a Harbor Freight saw blade
sharpener. I figured I'd just take it back if it didn't work, and I had
good luck with the chainsaw chain sharpener I got from them. I bought it on
sale for $29 and put it right into service as soon as I got home. I
sharpened up every old saw bladed that I had around - both carbide and steel
blades. Every one of them cut like a new blade! Clean, even, fast, etc.

I'm not sure I really needed this thing, but I wanted it so I bought it.
Turns out it was well worth the price.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2013 6:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades.

OK, they were there at the PO a day or so before I realized it as the
card got stuck inside another circular (fortunate it wasn't something I
just pitched before even bringing home as do so much junk)...

For my use on old reclaimed most of them will suit just fine...thanks
and enjoy the jointer knives...

-dpb

What saw blades do you use? SBH[_4_] Woodworking 27 January 5th 10 04:15 AM
How to cut old saw blades Andrew[_11_] Metalworking 25 November 19th 08 01:03 PM
Blades [email protected] Woodworking 9 December 21st 06 04:33 AM
Cut off blades Steve B Metalworking 3 December 22nd 05 05:57 PM
OLD BLADES [email protected] Woodworking 1 August 20th 05 03:58 PM