Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bad purchase, cheapo table saw

On Friday, September 27, 2013 4:39:50 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:

From that statement I think you think you are way smarter than most people and I think you are wrong.

No, I think if I am smart enough to figure something out it should be

obtainable by most every one else. I have most often commented in years

past, If I can figure it out you should be able to figure it our. If

you can't figure it out, I may not be able to either.

Most people are just as smart and aware as you, they just make different decisions than you would make.

No doubt.

Somehow you think your decisions are undoubtedly correct and theirs

are wrong; when in reality theirs are just different.

That is entirely possible.

You can present all the logic you want for the correctness of your decisions but it doesn't make any case at all for why their different decision is not also correct, for them.

So are you saying that people that are not happy and or complain about

the decisions that they have made have in fact made the decision that is

correct for them???

I fully understand the value of buying a quality product and I have common sense and I buy crappy products all the time. Yes, I do like to complain about just how crappy something is at times and yes I get surprised sometimes, like this crappy saw and find out it was too crappy to do what I wanted but that doesn't mean I don't have common sense.

O crap, seriously, O crap. I had forgotten all about the beginning of

this thread, you buying the inexpensive TS. I in no way was pointing my

above comments at you at all. In addition I completely understand the

logic of buying a throw away product. It certainly makes sense to not

take an expensive tool to a wok site especially if it is not warranted.

For that matter I buy crappy products too and for the same reason.

Again, my comment was not at all directed at you so please accept my

apologies if I in any way came across the wrong way. That was certainly

not my intent.

Now, I would still return the TS, I personally consider $200 a bit much

to write off, so to speak in my case.

For instance Festools are undoubtedly far superior to most standard brands but I will never likely buy one because I value my cash flow over getting 10 years vs 5 years of service for twice the price. I can get results that work for me from far less expensive devices now and in many cases I come out way ahead because I never use the tool enough to have justified the stupid high prices of some manufacturers.

And as much as I like to talk about Festools, that brand was not even in

the scope of what I was thinking. I will say that I try to buy a brand

I have heard of vs. a no name brand.

Again, I absolutely was not trying to throw in an insult or belittle you

at all. My comments were more of a knee jerk reaction by the comment

that Claire made,

"

"Don't know why retailers insist on selling junk, and American

consumers continue to buy it up at a record pace."

And for the record I think a lot of the problems this society has is

directly connected with the time we as parents spend with our kids.

AAMOF my wife and I both worked when we had our first and only son.

Like those that continue to do the same, I saw no problem or

repercussions. Then one day I said enough is enough and quit my job and

retired. Our son was 7 at the time. I became a stay at home dad and

things were pretty tight for a few years. Our son ended up doing quite

well and perhaps that would have happened regardless if I had not

retired. Either way I know that our son benefited from one of us being

a stay at home parent. Unfortunately a lot of kids don't have that

option and lack the guidance that a loving parent offers over that of a

child care professional.

I wasn't taking offense or thinking you had made any direct assault on me. You responses are all perfectly logical, reasonable and well formed. I was mostly bored and glad that this sparked so many interesting responses.

I think you are 100% correct that most of America's societal problems have to due with errors\omissions in child rearing. I too can speak to my personal association with success in that regard and familial failures that you could see coming for years in the making.

Finally, it seems many people here are trying to exhibit deep knowledge of statistical math as equating with their own intelligence, by example; but I only see it as evidence of education in a very easily understood science that bores the crap out of me.