Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wet Stone or Diamond??????

Hi All,

I have always used wet stones, 3 grits, for plane and chisel. But ya have to flatten the stones now and then, which I do. And all the water and slurry is a tad messy. I use some small diamond "stones" for the pocket knife, and it works well. Saw they had 3X8" diamond stones for sale on www.dmtsharp.com

A purist would only use a real stone, but have any of you used the diamond ones??? I'm tempted after the good luck I've had with the small ones.

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2013 3:15 PM, wrote:
Hi All,

I have always used wet stones, 3 grits, for plane and chisel. But ya have to flatten the stones now and then, which I do. And all the water and slurry is a tad messy. I use some small diamond "stones" for the pocket knife, and it works well. Saw they had 3X8" diamond stones for sale on
www.dmtsharp.com

A purist would only use a real stone, but have any of you used the diamond ones??? I'm tempted after the good luck I've had with the small ones.

Rich.....

I use a diamond when I have a nick. As i have a coarse diamond now.

I have water and arkansas stones in finer grits.

if I had to buy today, I would buy diamond. There are better deals for
dmt than the dmt site. See
http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/...one_Kit_2.html
or dags since there may be better deals now.

Be aware you should use oil to prevent rusting, mineral oil or cutting
oil. I like mineral since I use it for other things too.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2013 3:15 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 9/15/2013 3:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

If you have water stones that still have a lot of life in them, as I do,
you might get the DMT lapping plate to flatten them. I just got one and
it works quite well.