Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scroll saw -- last word

So I bought the 1940s Craftsman after taking it for a test drive. No vibration and, with the exception of a power cord plug that can stand replacing, seems in great condition. Here's the kicker:

The seller is a master luthier who makes and repairs guitars. We spent about an hour in his shop where he showed me guitars he was repairing for Eric Clapton and a guy from Guns N Roses (somebody who calls himself Flash or Splash). He had a couple of barrels of cutoffs and gave me about a dozen pieces. Half of them were flame maple boards about 1x5x30. A couple were 3x3x24 spalted maple. He gave me some gorgeous exotic ebony. I believe the wood was almost equal to the cost of the saw.

Finally, I have an old mandolin with a crack in the back and he's going to take a look to see if it is worth repair.

I know that there are some musicians in the group. This gentleman's name is Larry Brooks, if that rings a bell.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2013 2:46 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
[...]

Ok, so if you end up not liking the saw, say you bought the wood, and
got the saw for free. BTW, you suck.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
So I bought the 1940s Craftsman after taking it for a test drive. No
vibration and, with the exception of a power cord plug that can stand
replacing, seems in great condition. Here's the kicker:

The seller is a master luthier who makes and repairs guitars. We
spent about an hour in his shop where he showed me guitars he was
repairing for Eric Clapton

Every luthier on the face of the earth claims they are working on guitars
for Eric Clapton. If Eric even owned that many guitars, it would be
spectacular. If a small percentage of the guitars he owned required some
kind of repair, it would be equally spectacular.

and a guy from Guns N Roses (somebody who
calls himself Flash or Splash).

That would be Slash - who is formerly from Guns-N-Roses. See note above on
Eric Clapton...

--

-Mike-

He had a couple of barrels of
cutoffs and gave me about a dozen pieces. Half of them were flame
maple boards about 1x5x30. A couple were 3x3x24 spalted maple. He
gave me some gorgeous exotic ebony. I believe the wood was almost
equal to the cost of the saw.

Finally, I have an old mandolin with a crack in the back and he's
going to take a look to see if it is worth repair.

I know that there are some musicians in the group. This gentleman's
name is Larry Brooks, if that rings a bell.

Larry

O/T: Last Word Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 17 November 14th 12 05:32 PM
TOT; Word Doc The Medway Handyman UK diy 57 September 20th 09 07:12 PM
Spread the Word [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 5th 09 03:13 PM
A word of thanks Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 July 27th 08 07:09 PM
OT Word Mangler RicodJour Home Repair 28 November 6th 06 02:34 AM