Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Electrical question (I know this is a WW forum)

I don't frequent any other forums and have a basic electrical question so thought I would try it here.

When I look at circuits for outlets they always run the wire "through" every outlet until the end. Is it OK to just branch or T off of an existing circuit?

I have an outlet at each end of a wall. There is romex running across the top of the wall from one to another. It has some slack. I would like to clip the romex, add in a junction box and tie in one piece of two wire romex running down to a new outlet box and splice the clipped ones back together so the original ones keep working.

If I follow all the circuit maps I see and the traditional way I see circuits done I would clip the romex, run one piece of two wire down to the new outlet from one side of the clip. Then come out the other side of the outlet with more romex back up to the other side of the clip so the circuit runs "through the outlet, instead of branching.

I know branching works because I have done it a few times before.

Questions.

To code? Don't really care, just wonder.
Safe? Do care.

Of course I also run the ground wire as well.