Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood identification.

Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate
a garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...dwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...dwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:08:09 -0700, pastedavid wrote:

Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate a
garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...4/UdNp5HloWlI/

AAAAAAAAARM/0mkcWZnym94/w959-h719-no/RedHardwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...I/AAAAAAAAARQ/

jAmDhVXE058/w959-h719-no/RedHardwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.

Apitong?

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/13 7:08 PM, wrote:
Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate
a garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...dwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...dwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.

So hard to narrow it down to one, but it looks like Mahogany to me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate
a garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...dwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...dwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.

Afzelia is a possibility. Your pics look a lot like what I have. Mine is
redder than the sample shown he
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...woods/afzelia/
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to
renovate
a garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

African Mahogany, especiallly if it is difficult to finish.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:08:09 -0700, pastedavid wrote:

Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate a
garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...4/UdNp5HloWlI/
AAAAAAAAARM/0mkcWZnym94/w959-h719-no/RedHardwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...I/AAAAAAAAARQ/

jAmDhVXE058/w959-h719-no/RedHardwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.

Apitong?

basilisk

I would also vote for apitong. I immediately thought of that after
looking at the sample picture.

I used apitong to build a sling cluch and chair plus corner table some
30 years ago. The wood is extremely hard and I mean hard. When finished
it is beautiful.

The common usage for apitong at that time was for the planking in semi
truck trailer beds. It was considered far more rugged than oak for that
purpose. I have never checked to see if apitong is still relatively
available or not. I also do not know if its use in truck beds persists
to this day or not.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 06:23:16 -0700, Michael Karas wrote:

[...]

It is still used for truck beds, but in recent years it is usually a glued
up piece instead of solid full lenght stock.

Another use for Apitong was lumber stickers.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

It could be a hardwood called lyptus that comes from
South America.

Lyptus is extremely hard and very close in appearance to
cherry.

http://www.lyptus.com/

It is VERY difficult to determine a species from a
photo.

On 7/2/2013 5:08 PM, wrote:

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...dwoodPlain.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:08:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello all,

Recently I bought some mysteriously titled "Red Hardwood" to renovate

a garden bench. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?!

Small block, oiled:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...dwoodOiled.jpg

Unfinished:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...dwoodPlain.jpg

Thanks,

David Paste.

Looks mahogany-ish. I would need to see how it sands and how hard it is. Isn't orange enough to be african mahog I don't think. The piece with the ruler shows some "banding" in the color. If it has lots of bands of color it could be Sepele.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello again! I managed to get in touch with the timber yard today, and they
said (this was over the phone, so they couldn't be precise) that it was either
Sapele or Meranti (AKA Shorea, AKA Lauan).

So there we go!

Thank you all for your input - gratefully recieved!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:44:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello again! I managed to get in touch with the timber yard today, and they

said (this was over the phone, so they couldn't be precise) that it was either

Sapele or Meranti (AKA Shorea, AKA Lauan).

So there we go!

Thank you all for your input - gratefully recieved!

Cool. Because of the banding and the color I would venture to say it is Sapele, as I indicated before. It looses its redness as soon as you put any finish and goes brown so if you like that reddish color you should tone it with some dye before hitting it with shellac, lacquer, poly, etc. if you ever want to do a finished project.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, 8 July 2013 23:59:32 UTC+1, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Cool. Because of the banding and the color I would venture to
say it is Sapele, as I indicated before. It looses its redness
as soon as you put any finish and goes brown so if you like that
reddish color you should tone it with some dye before hitting it
with shellac, lacquer, poly, etc. if you ever want to do a
finished project.

Hi, I finished it with some straight-forwardly named "finishing oil"

(this stuff: http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-...oil-prod19763/)

and it turned out like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...8-no/bench.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out, and just in time for summer, too!

Cheers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:19:46 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
and it turned out like this: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...8-no/bench.jpg I'm quite happy with how it has turned out, and just in time for summer, too! Cheers.

Looks Great! --  GW Ross

Yep, looks great. Good job.

I like gardening and similar outdoor projects. I replaced the slats on a similar discarded/salvaged bench, with ER cedar, gave it to my sister, 2-3 yrs ago. I don't recall if I put a finish on it. I'll have to ask her how it's holding up. Yours looks much better, than the one I repaired.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, 18 July 2013 22:47:04 UTC+1, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:19:46 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

and it turned out like this: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...8-no/bench.jpg I'm quite happy with how it has turned out, and just in time for summer, too! Cheers.

Looks Great! --  GW Ross

Yep, looks great. Good job.

I like gardening and similar outdoor projects. I replaced the slats on a similar discarded/salvaged bench, with ER cedar, gave it to my sister, 2-3 yrs ago. I don't recall if I put a finish on it. I'll have to ask her how it's holding up. Yours looks much better, than the one I repaired.

Sonny

Thanks chaps! It was a really nice little project - not much more work than running a router along the edges to round them over, and then sanding smooth, finally oiling, but there's something highly satisfying about parking one's arse on it after a long hot day & watching the sky go dark!