Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Hardwood identification.

wrote:
On Monday, 8 July 2013 23:59:32 UTC+1, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Cool. Because of the banding and the color I would venture to
say it is Sapele, as I indicated before. It looses its redness
as soon as you put any finish and goes brown so if you like that
reddish color you should tone it with some dye before hitting it
with shellac, lacquer, poly, etc. if you ever want to do a
finished project.

Hi, I finished it with some straight-forwardly named "finishing oil"

(this stuff:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-...oil-prod19763/)

and it turned out like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...8-no/bench.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out, and just in time for summer, too!

Cheers.

Looks Great!

--
 GW Ross