Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default magnetic blade angle detector

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:59:00 -0700 (PDT), rlz
wrote:

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it
will then be referenced off the table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

wrote:

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. *It detects the angle of the blade cut. *My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

Place it on the table and zero it out. *When attached to the blade it
will then be referenced off the table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I guess I'll have to read the instructions and see how to do that. I
used it for the first time yesterday and my 45 degree (based on the
gauge) cuts didn't match up when I built a small frame.

Robin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it

will then be referenced off the table.

--

What he said.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it

will then be referenced off the table.

--

What he said.

Either that or use it to level the table first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2013 1:59 PM, rlz wrote:
I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

That depends, if you zero it on your table then put it on the blade its
relative to the table.

If not its just true to level.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2013 6:10 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/31/2013 1:59 PM, rlz wrote:
I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

That depends, if you zero it on your table then put it on the blade its
relative to the table.

If not its just true to level.

Assuming it was zeroed to true level to begin with, not likely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it
will then be referenced off the table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I guess I'll have to read the instructions and see how to do that. I
used it for the first time yesterday and my 45 degree (based on the
gauge) cuts didn't match up when I built a small frame.

Robin

Oh hell no, read the directions as a last resort! :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Oh hell no, read the directions as a last resort!

-----------------------------------
That's cheating.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2013 1:59 PM, rlz wrote:
I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

That depends, if you zero it on your table then put it on the blade its
relative to the table.

If not its just true to level.

Assuming it was zeroed to true level to begin with, not likely.

Actually I have one that is similar.
I don't use it much, but it was dead on, Checked with a level, and it is
very good. Mine is the tiltbox ii, not as good resolution as the wixey..
but well made, and batteries have lasted for about 2 years.

I have used it with a steel stud (pretty straight) for grading single
handedly. played with it in the shop, and it's good, but I don't find it
that useful for WW needs in the shop.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message ...

In article m,
EXT wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it

will then be referenced off the table.

--

What he said.

Yep.

Either that or use it to level the table first.

If it's the same cheap Wixley one I have, it has a "zero" button
which causes it to base off of whatever it was sitting on when
you pressed the button. That's an excellent feature if you want to
e.g. set a blade angle relative to the table, but mostly an annoyance
if you want absolute values e.g. using it as a level.

Here's a procedure you can use if you really want to use it as a level:

Place the device on the surface you want to level and zero it. Rotate 180
degrees and note the reading. Adjust the surface half way -- i.e. if the
device now reads 1.5 degrees, tilt the surface until it reads 0.75. Now
zero the device again and repeat the process. Once the surface is level,
the device will read 0 degrees either way. One more tip: now that you
have a surface you know is level, you can use it to calibrate the device
any time you want it to be a true level. Just make sure your reference
surface never gets disturbed.

BTW, it eats batteries. I would remove the battery any time you're
not using it.
Stick the box to the side of your table saw blade. Set zero. Turn the box
180 degrees and stick it to the other side of the blade. Note the reading
and adjust the blade half of the reading. Set zero again and swap sides
again to verify that it is vertical. It should only take one adjustment to
get it right. A lot easier than leveling a surface and keeping it that way
for a reference. Note: This will set your box to zero in relation to the
planet. It also sets your blade vertical to the planet, not the saw. To set
the saw blade to 90 degrees, reference the table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2013 8:19 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Oh hell no, read the directions as a last resort! :~)

Relevant: http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2009/06/02

Exactly! LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2013 1:59 PM, rlz wrote:
[...]

I have had one too for years, it is the only way I set my bevel angle on
my TS. But these measuring devises do not indicate level, rather they
indicate the degree of tilt from where it was last zeroed.

My batteries started lasting much longer after realizing that the tight
fitting case pressed the" on button" if I was not careful sliding it
back inside the case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my
tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question
is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the
tablesaw or true level.

Robin

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it
will then be referenced off the table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I guess I'll have to read the instructions and see how to do that. I
used it for the first time yesterday and my 45 degree (based on the
gauge) cuts didn't match up when I built a small frame.

Robin

One thing to keep in mind. Don't lean on the table when reading the device.
When I first got mine, my cuts were way off. Then I realized that, when
bending down to read the angle readout with the cube on the blade, I was
leaning on the table which wasn't sitting perfectly flat on my sloping
concrete garage floor. This changed the angle of the table, ever so
slightly, but enough to change the readout by at least a few 10ths...
plenty enough to mess up a miter joint.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Planer Blade Sharpening Angle? Sonny Woodworking 0 March 30th 12 02:39 PM
Planer Blade Sharpening Angle? Sonny Woodworking 0 March 30th 12 01:02 AM
Blade angle Dean Home Repair 3 June 10th 07 06:58 PM
Blade angle problem on Delta Contractor's saw Larry Spitz Woodworking 4 February 16th 05 05:33 AM
When using an angle grinder, should the blade spin towards or away from you? Jon Weaver UK diy 5 August 3rd 03 08:57 AM