Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/24/2013 9:25 AM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:21:34 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Sketchup should be renamed, Sketching with Components. ;~)
Think of they way you build things in the shop, draw the same way.

Does that mean, build something in an exploded view and then assemble
it to have a finished project on paper?

No, but it means that for instance, if your project is two boards
nailed together, you should model two distinct boards, make them into
components, then connect them.

Actually I would suggest drawing the first object and make it into a
component and begin the next set of lines connected to that component.
This allows you to reference existing dimensions, click from an existing
point to another to form a line. the new lines will not stick or
distort as long as they are touching a component.

Now I wold agree with your explanation if you are importing ready made
components.

You could explode the model later, if you wanted. In fact, there are
plugins that will do it for you.

Be careful with your terminology. With Sketchup the explode command
does not separate the parts rather it no longer protects the parts from
being changed.

Again not saying you are wrong but the "Explode Parts" plug in is not an
included tool with Sketchup and beginners will be dealing with the
Sketchup explode command first.

And I am mostly mentioning this so that those new to Sketchup don't
become confused.

As an example, I give you my recent cabinet project:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pantry-Cabinet/

Every single board, and even the individual biscuits are components,
and as you can see, I even did some exploded views. In fact, if you
download the model, you'll see that there are two cabinets in the
model: one assembled and one exploded as a parts list.

One nice thing about sketchup is the huge easy-to-use public
components library. When I needed a biscuit for my model, it
was probably less than a minute's work to find one in the 3d
Warehouse and download it.

YES the ware house is very useful I imported the Antonov 124 airplane
into my drawing for a display that I build for a customer. Very Very
helpful to use their airplane in the model when doing the bid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2013 9:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:

I know I could learn Sketchup, just that I realize it would take some
time and I'm not yet willing to allocated the time I fear it would
take.

Understood but I believe that the program is a real time saver when it
comes to designing and drawing compared to what I had been using. I
did keep AutoCAD available while learning Sketchup but the basics
were so simple compared to AutoCAD that I was drawn more towards
Sketchup.

I know nothing of other CAD programs but IMO anyone in the
construction/design/remodeling field is losing money if they don't use it.
I'm not involved in those occupations but the ability to have sets of models
that can be easily modified to fit specific circumstances seems invaluable.

It has been such a contender in the design market that even AutoDesk is
playing the "me too" catch up game with a similar product.

For example, a cabinet maker could have assorted parts which can be
duplicated and/or sized as needed ...

1. a basic box

2. various interior parts - shelves, drawers, pullouts, whatever

3. frame and panel doors with various edge treatments

Swingman has the pro version and IIRC you can take a "dynamic"
component, say a kitchen cabinet with a drawer, copy it and make it
wider and only the elements that need to be wider will widen.

And with a few clicks any could have any type of surface/texture. Want to
see what the doors would look like with walnut frames and cherry panels?
Easy. Switch the counter tops to granite? Here's what it looks like.
Insert a wood chopping block? OK. (materials/textures are downloadable from
the net...a nice one of woods is at http://www.sawdustroad.com/sketchup

It's a moneymaker.

Yes it is. I probably don't spend a quarter of the time designing to to
the point of presentation to a customer. Add to that all of the details
are there too so I do not have to think about that in the shop.
Components do not have to be dimensioned to import them into an
optimization program for cutting. The program knows the size of the
components whether you do or not. I dimension very little and most
often only for reference.

It is an amazing program "as is". Run through rendering software it is
nothing short of incredible! Go to Google, type in "sketchup renderings",
click images and be astounded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

I know nothing of other CAD programs but IMO anyone in the
construction/design/remodeling field is losing money if they don't use it.
I'm not involved in those occupations but the ability to have sets of models
that can be easily modified to fit specific circumstances seems invaluable.

For example, a cabinet maker could have assorted parts which can be
duplicated and/or sized as needed ...

1. a basic box

2. various interior parts - shelves, drawers, pullouts, whatever

3. frame and panel doors with various edge treatments

Here' a collection of dynamic and non-dynamic kitchen cabinet components
that I designed over the past six years that have been useful in designing
and building shop built cabinets to fit in a required space. All these
pieces were actually built and installed in various kitchens using the
models shown in this collection, for both client approval and shop
drawings.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2013 1:30 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

No, but it means that for instance, if your project is two boards
nailed together, you should model two distinct boards, make them into
components, then connect them.

Actually I would suggest drawing the first object and make it into a
component and begin the next set of lines connected to that component.
This allows you to reference existing dimensions, click from an existing
point to another to form a line. the new lines will not stick or
distort as long as they are touching a component.

True. That's how I normally work.

You could explode the model later, if you wanted. In fact, there are
plugins that will do it for you.

Be careful with your terminology. With Sketchup the explode command
does not separate the parts rather it no longer protects the parts from
being changed.

Oh, good point. I forgot that in Sketchup, "explode" means to undo a group
or component. You're right that this has nothing to do with exploded
diagrams, and as I said, if you want an exploded diagram, you'll need
a plugin to do it, or put in a fair amount of manual effort.

Speaking of which, there's a great discussion on the sketucation boards
entitled "Must Have Ruby Plugins"

http://sketchucation.com/forums/view...?f=180&t=16909

Hmmm; I see they've updated this list with little animated gifs
to show you what the plugins do. An excellent resource.

The sketchucation board is one of the better Sketchup resources and well
worth joining.

Cool! heading that way now. ;~) Thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

[...]

You've been busy

The utility (shop) value is obvious but just out of curiosity, do you also
find it a useful selling tool? I would think that the ability to show a
customer pretty much how the stuff will look would really help close a deal.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2013 4:33 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

[...]

Absolutely in fact there is a app, $5, for the iPad that lets you
display a Sketchup drawing in 3d, rotate, and zoom. Beats taking the
computer with you to present to the customer.

New to Sketchup Leon[_7_] Woodworking 29 April 28th 13 01:23 AM
Sketchup hep? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 February 19th 10 08:57 PM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM