Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/22/2013 6:24 PM, dadiOH wrote:
I've had the program for a number of years, never took the time to actually
learn to use it. Due primarily to various posts here, I've been spending
some time with it.

They say it is "intuitive"; IMO, some of it is and some of it isn't. Let me
give an example...

Suppose I draw a simple table: four legs, four aprons and a top. Each of
those items is an "entity". I decide that I want my table 1" wider which
means I need to make the top wider and both end aprons longer I can't scale
the aprons, deforms the legs. I could move the legs, then scale the aprons
and move the legs back. Not too bad on this but on more complex things it
could be a PITA.

Is there some simple, fast way to do it.

Yes

OK first off be certain you are using the latest version, you stating
that you have had the program a number of years indicates you may be
using one of the older versions which IMHO we more difficult to master.

By entity I suppose you mean that you made each separate item in to an
actual component.

Don't scale, simply use the push pull tool to lengthen or shorten the
end that you want to be longer or shorter, do the same for the apron and
top. Start the push pull tool in the direction that you want it to go,
don't worry about how far you drag it, just go in the direction you want
to go, than type in the distance you want to add or subtract. then
move you legs.

NOW if your legs are reshaping when you are trying to adjust other
pieces that would indicate that your entities are not components.

Once you make a group of lines into a component they will no longer
change unless you edit the component. To edit, select the component by
clicking on it and then double click the selection or right click and
select edit component. An outline of the defined area of the component
will form around the component and you can then make changes, like using
the push pull tool to change the thickness, width, or length of a component.

NOTE. sometimes components are difficult to edit where they are placed
in a drawing. Simply select that component and copy it to an area that
would make it more accessible, make your modifications and they will
also show up on the original component. Complete the modification and
delete the copy.