Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice still on rail and stile mirror

I am going to start on it this weekend. Wife has a hard time seeing a piece of wood as to what it will look like after everything is done with it.

First comment when she saw my 3/4 inch 2.5 inch wide stock was it looked "big" for a mirror frame.

Any advice as to decorative treatments to make it look nice? One thought I had was to use my vertical panel raising bit on the outside edge of the frame. My book says that the authour like to do this on the outside edge. (With only part of the profile) to round over the outside edges. Of course he was using a horizontal bit. I dont have a router with speed control to be able to use one of those.

By the way all my cabinet bits are the ogee type.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I am going to start on it this weekend. Wife has a hard time seeing a
piece of wood as to what it will look like after everything is done with it.

First comment when she saw my 3/4 inch 2.5 inch wide stock was it looked
"big" for a mirror frame.

Any advice as to decorative treatments to make it look nice? One thought
I had was to use my vertical panel raising bit on the outside edge of the
frame. My book says that the authour like to do this on the outside edge.
(With only part of the profile) to round over the outside edges. Of
course he was using a horizontal bit. I dont have a router with speed
control to be able to use one of those.

By the way all my cabinet bits are the ogee type.

Use your bits to make trim stock out of the same wood and APPLY them to
your frame. Will look better, with less chance of screw ups, and you can do
non-destructive test profiles and fitting, before applying the trim, to
please your wife.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Router advice. 1/4 or 1/2 inch for rail and stile cabinet door project. stryped[_3_] Metalworking 0 March 26th 13 01:26 PM
Rail and Stile Ellestad Woodworking 3 March 21st 07 04:29 PM
Rail & Stile bit set up help needed Bill Woodworking 2 November 13th 06 10:27 PM
Stile and Rail Joe Bemier Woodworking 10 November 10th 06 10:27 PM
Rail and Stile Richard Cranium Woodworking 7 May 28th 06 08:27 PM