Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stile and Rail

Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

Burning is typically caused by too slow a feed rate. If you think that
maximum feed rate was being used and the burning was still being caused,
then I'd suggest using multiple passes while taking off less stock at a
time. That will let one increase the feed rate eliminating the burn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
news
Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

When you say vibration do you mean with the router idling or only during
cutting? If it's any time the router is running I'd suspect a
defective/damaged bit. Inspect it very carefully under a good light with a
magnifier and see if you can see anything obvious, also with the router
unplugged turn the bit by hand while looking at it from the side against a
background with some vertical lines and see if you can see any indication
that it's bent.

Even Whiteside occasionally lets something slip through quality control and
_anything_ can be damaged in shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Sounds like a bad bit. If cleaning the bit and collet and adjusting
the router speed don't make the vibration go away get a new set of
bits.

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

What size router is he using?(Horsepower rating) Is it a variable speed
router? If it is what speed was he cutting at? Is he cutting the Stile in
one pass? Is he trying to cut the rail in one pass? What type lumber are you
cutting? Was the bit mounted correctly in the Router? Let us know.
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
news
Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:59:59 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

Burning is typically caused by too slow a feed rate. If you think that
maximum feed rate was being used and the burning was still being caused,
then I'd suggest using multiple passes while taking off less stock at a
time. That will let one increase the feed rate eliminating the burn.

Thanks Upscale. You are correct. tonight I watched what he is doing
and the feed is much too slow.
In addition, I found damage on the lower cutter (slotting cutter). If
you can believe this --- he made a jig and to get the correct height
he used sandpaper sheets. The sandpaper resulted in some very fine
chipping to the lower cutter.
he's too much - really nice guy but seems to have no common sense at
all.

Thanks again,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:09:24 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

do you mean with the router idling or only during
cutting? If it's any time t

All the time
See my response to Upscale just above.
I think the vibration might be caused by the chip-out leaving the
cutter unbalanced. I also found he was not setting the bit deep into
the collet. When I re-set it much of the vibration decreased.

Thanks,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Nov 2006 05:52:26 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:
Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Sounds like a bad bit. If cleaning the bit and collet and adjusting
the router speed don't make the vibration go away get a new set of
bits.

You are correct, Ray

Thanks,

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:58:08 -0500, "Jerry Dickens"
wrote:

What size router is he using?(Horsepower rating) Is it a variable speed
router? If it is what speed was he cutting at? Is he cutting the Stile in
one pass? Is he trying to cut the rail in one pass? What type lumber are you
cutting? Was the bit mounted correctly in the Router? Let us know.
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
news
Some of you might remember my neighbor - wealthy, lots of very good
tools, never really builds anything.
Anyway, last evening he dragged me over to his shop as he was having
problems with his new Stile and Rail set (Whiteside).
The Stile cutter is working fine but the rail cutter is leaving quite
a bit of burn.

I did note some very high frequency vibration when the rail cutter is
installed - not when the Stile cutter is installed.

The cutters are brand new - days old.

Frankly, I failed to correct his problem but told him I would post in
here and see if you guys had any suggestions. I'm a stair builder and
rarely use these types of cutters.

Thanks

Thanks Jerry but it looks as if it was caused by feed rate and some
bit damage - see above.

Thanks,