Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default How do you protect your electronic gadgets?

I envy you folks with climate-controlled shops.
Mine's a garage stuffed with tools and the temperature
ranges from the low 20s to 105+.
Humidity is ...high.
I'm concerned about keeping stuff like the electronic
compass, calipers,& stud finder in those conditions and
ferry them back and forth from house to shop.
Same for battery-powered tools.
Can anyone share experience with this? Tool longevity,
battery life, etc.

I presume these are outside temp's and inside the garage it's generally
moderated quite a bit from those extremes.

Depends upon whether the garage is attached or not, and whether it is
insulated.
Mine is attached and insulated and only two sides face the outside.
There are also bedrooms above the garage. The temps in there in the
winter are warmer than if it wasn't attached, like my shed. The temps in
my shed are about the same as the outside, and in there, things also rust.

I've never worried about it much on the farm w/ roughly same temp's
except it gets quite a bit colder than that here and never noticed
anything failing untowardly.

Humidity is not generally much of an issue here, however, ...

---------
Those temps are outside, but likely inside, too.
It was a detached 24x24 unfinished garage that I connected one corner
of to the house with a mud room. With the garage doors still there,
doors to the back yard in the garage and mud room, whirlybird vent
on garage and soffit vents pending, it stays dry from falling rain only.
Houston is the closest city that shows up on a Texas map, with the
associated high humidity.
I suppose the mud room may be ever so slightly more moderate in
temp, but likely not much.
Next project may be a cabinet for the little stuff and charging station
for the battery stuff to be mounted in the mud room.
I wonder what the effect of a Thermos chest would be..., clean, dry,
would moderate temp swings without condensing. A couple of pounds of
silica gel to absorb moisture....
-J

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
[...]

If you have an enclosed cabinet for the drills and batteries, you
could try mounting a porcelain fixture with a small light bulb in it
that burns constantly in the winter months. It would require
experimentation to find the right size bulb to generate the minimum
amount of heat, but hurry--LED bulbs probably wouldn't work.

--
 GW Ross

 3 kinds of people: those who can
 count & those who can't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 7:10 AM, Joe wrote:
[...]

Kitty litter works well to absorb moisture too.
I use it.

--
Jeff

How do you protect your electronic gadgets? Joe Woodworking 7 March 10th 13 02:49 PM
How to protect your gadgets this summer (Portsmouth Herald) UCLAN Electronics Repair 0 May 25th 07 07:31 PM
DIY Gadgets Graham Saunders UK diy 100 November 18th 06 01:40 PM
FA: Electronic Music Machine Kit - Electronic Doorbell, Car Horn - (built, tested) - (one day left) Oprah Electronics 0 August 18th 04 01:33 PM
Gadgets and gimics Gunner Metalworking 9 September 5th 03 05:36 PM