Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Windows vs FoMoCo

Been around but STILL fits.

Lew

----------------------------------
Windows vs. Ford Motor Co.

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection
for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly
compared the computer industry with the auto industry and
stated, "If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer
industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got
1,000 miles to the gallon."

Ford issued a press release stating:

If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft,
we would stll be driving cars with the following
characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would
crash.........twice a day.

2.. Every time they repainted the lines in the road,
you would have to buy a new car.

3... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway
for no reason.

You would have to pull to the side of the road,
close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it,
and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4.... Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a
left turn would cause your car to shut down and
refuse to restart, in which case you would have to
reinstall the engine.

5..... Macintosh would make a car that was powered
by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice
as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent
of the roads.

6..... The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights
would all be replaced by a single
"This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

I love the next one!

7....... The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?"
before deploying.

8........ Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would
lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously
lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the
radio antenna.

9......... Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would
have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the
controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10.......... You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine
off.

PS - I'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call
"customer service" in some foreign country and be instructed in some
foreign language how to fix your car yourself!

Please share this with your friends who love - but sometimes hate -
their computer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:513d6a9c$0$40751
:

Been around but STILL fits.

Lew

----------------------------------
Windows vs. Ford Motor Co.

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection
for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly
compared the computer industry with the auto industry and
stated, "If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer
industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got
1,000 miles to the gallon."

Ford issued a press release stating:

If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft,
we would stll be driving cars with the following
characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would
crash.........twice a day.

*snip*

Windows is better about this... it's more like bumping road signs rather
than full on collisions with oncoming traffic. (It's not Windows
crashing, either. It's the application.)

6..... The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights
would all be replaced by a single
"This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

Almost there! Just a few more lights to remove and all that's left is
"Check Engine". I guess they did add the parenthesis squiglly line light
recently, but that's more like a computer battery warning.

*snip*

10.......... You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine
off.

I'm sure there's cars out there like that now. I know I press the same
button to start and stop my car, but can't remember the label. (Who
needs to look at that? Watching for the tire pressure light is more
important, because you know, the tires might get soft or something.)

*snip*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:513d838a$0$12504
:

[...]

Wellllllllll.... maybe. The big problem with Windows is that a poorly-written application can
crash the operating system. This should not happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 7:20 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

The apps that cause this behavior are predominantly written by ...

Microsoft!

LOL
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
news:513d838a$0$12504 :

Windows is better about this... it's more like bumping road signs
rather than full on collisions with oncoming traffic. (It's not
Windows crashing, either. It's the application.)

Wellllllllll.... maybe. The big problem with Windows is that a
poorly-written application can crash the operating system. This should
not happen.

It's been a long time since I've seen a software crash take down a system
like the old days. Most of the time the crash occurs, the program goes
away and Windows Error Reporting pops up. The system stays stable.

OTOH, one program disables sleep to do some encoding and then while I
assume the program exits properly the screen doesn't come back on. While
a program should be able to temporarily disable sleep (from user mode),
it shouldn't be able to keep the system from waking up.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.