Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TV Stand is done

Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2013 9:15 AM, wrote:
Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Very nice! The contrast between the cherry and maple is good now, it
should be spectacular in a few years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/13 9:15 AM, wrote:
Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

It's nice to see someone let wood be wood, without staining it to look
like some other wood or.... egads!..... painting it. :-) And I like the
wood drawer handles... they appear to be going through the fronts...
nice illusion.

It's almost a shame to have black plastic electronics on it, huh?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:15:24 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax) The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO. Pictures: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer. http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Nice design. Nice work. Nice pics.

Yeah the no-sides drawer sides seesm kind of gimmicky when I see it proposed on designs but I think it works 100% in this design. Best use of that feature I have seen. Maybe the fact that it is a short stack of drawers makes it less prominent anmd just a nice addition of interest.

I also like that you featured sap lines on the lower FF rail. I love incorporating such character components of wood, especially ones that are so defining. Only Cherry has this feature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2013 9:15 AM, wrote:
Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Excellent job on all counts, Brian!

I really like the design, and the execution of same is top notch!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:21:03 AM UTC-6, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Nice design. Nice work. Nice pics.

Yep, I agree.

Yeah the no-sides drawer sides seesm kind of gimmicky when I see it proposed on designs but I think it works 100% in this design. Best use of that feature I have seen. Maybe the fact that it is a short stack of drawers makes it less prominent anmd just a nice addition of interest.

I thought so, too, on both your observations (proposal and results). As I read your reply, I did recall Singer and other makers having sewing machine cabinets with exposed drawer sides on some of their treadle machine cabinets. Those looked well coordinated and nice in/with that overall cabinet design, also. Not gimmicky, at all. Another key point you've made is "short stack". Many more drawers might not look as good. I wonder if the sewing machine companies tried a number of drawers and found 3 drawers max weas the "limit". A consideration: limited to/for a particular size of drawers?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 3/6/2013 9:15 AM, wrote:
Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil
finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very
finicky IMHO.

Pictures:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Excellent job on all counts, Brian!

I really like the design, and the execution of same is top notch!

+1 !!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:49:16 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/13 9:15 AM, wrote:

Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

It's nice to see someone let wood be wood, without staining it to look

like some other wood or.... egads!..... painting it. :-) And I like the

wood drawer handles... they appear to be going through the fronts...

nice illusion.

It's almost a shame to have black plastic electronics on it, huh?

Yes, but as long as my kids don't destroy it within a few years I can tolerate the black plastic

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

--

http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:49:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2013 9:15 AM, wrote:

Cherry with tiger maple drawer fronts. Finished with "tung oil finish" (Minwax)

The drawer sides as sides was a first and maybe last for me. Very finicky IMHO.

Pictures:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...stand_side.jpg

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...tand_front.jpg

Video (3 parts): One Two Three on right side of viewer.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Very nice! The contrast between the cherry and maple is good now, it

should be spectacular in a few years.

Thank you. It's kind of near a window so that should help speed things along too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

very nice work!

Not a leg to stand on geoff UK diy 37 February 21st 13 07:03 PM
TV Stand dadiOH Woodworking 0 March 17th 08 10:50 AM
Where do I stand on this? Dave UK diy 21 November 15th 07 09:04 PM
What does "BOC" stand for? Ron Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 03:49 PM
Stand alone RCD r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 November 8th 04 02:32 PM