Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic Southern roof

I know someone here has this.

My barrel tile roof in Florida does not leak, yet. 25 years old.
It is cement tile over tar paper and hot tar.
When I have it replaced do I screw down the existing sheathing?
replace sheathing (with what?)
tar paper and hot tar?
What I would call "Ice and water shield"?
I am in a deed restricted community and cannot put on shingles or a built up
steel roof.
I like the terra cotta look anyway.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2013 6:17 PM, Ed Ahern wrote:
I know someone here has this.

My barrel tile roof in Florida does not leak, yet. 25 years old.
It is cement tile over tar paper and hot tar.
When I have it replaced do I screw down the existing sheathing?
replace sheathing (with what?)
tar paper and hot tar?
What I would call "Ice and water shield"?
I am in a deed restricted community and cannot put on shingles or a
built up steel roof.
I like the terra cotta look anyway.

Ed

I thought those were life time roofs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

the tiles last but the waterproofing underneath gets destroyed by the heat
the tiles were never expected to be waterproof, only to protect the
sheathing from the sun
Ed

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/18/2013 6:17 PM, Ed Ahern wrote:
I know someone here has this.

My barrel tile roof in Florida does not leak, yet. 25 years old.
It is cement tile over tar paper and hot tar.
When I have it replaced do I screw down the existing sheathing?
replace sheathing (with what?)
tar paper and hot tar?
What I would call "Ice and water shield"?
I am in a deed restricted community and cannot put on shingles or a
built up steel roof.
I like the terra cotta look anyway.

Ed

I thought those were life time roofs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 6:44:05 PM UTC-6, Ed Ahern wrote:
the tiles last but the waterproofing underneath gets destroyed by the heat the tiles were never expected to be waterproof, only to protect the sheathing from the sun

That doesn't sound right, to me.

One of those pre-Hurricane Andrew contractors must have installed that sheathing.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Ahern wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/18/2013 6:17 PM, Ed Ahern wrote:
I know someone here has this.

My barrel tile roof in Florida does not leak, yet. 25 years old.
It is cement tile over tar paper and hot tar.
When I have it replaced do I screw down the existing sheathing?
replace sheathing (with what?)
tar paper and hot tar?
What I would call "Ice and water shield"?
I am in a deed restricted community and cannot put on shingles or a
built up steel roof.
I like the terra cotta look anyway.

Ed

I thought those were life time roofs.

the tiles last but the waterproofing underneath gets destroyed by the
heat the tiles were never expected to be waterproof, only to protect
the sheathing from the sun
Ed

What *should* be under the tiles is 90# roofing material. It is much, much
heavier than *tar paper* and has mineral grains embedded in it. You said it
doesn't leak, what makes you think it is being destroyed?

In the unlikely event that you do get leaks and they are so profuse that
they can't get fixed, you would...

1. tear off all tiles
2. maybe, tear off old 90#
3. hot mop on new 90#
4. put on new tiles, nailing the first course and affixing the rest with
mortar
5. get a loan to pay for the above

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 6:49*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

I myself don't worry too much about things that haven't happened.
Plenty on my plate these past few years to sit and fret about things
that haven't happened yet.

1. tear off all tiles
2. maybe, tear off old 90#
3. hot mop on new 90#
4. put on new tiles, nailing the first course and affixing the rest with
mortar
5. get a loan to pay for the above

I howled after reading this. I do a lot of roof work and tile
replacement and repair is in my toolbox as I have a good technician
for small repairs, access to a huge tile boneyard, and work with a
great tile installation sub contractor.

You have no idea how true #5 is... I LOVE tile work as it is hard to
master, but literally pays much, much better than anything else I
do. By a long shot. A re-lay is one thing, but repairs....
Ahhhh....

Usually, my customers have already had tile repairs done incorrectly,
and that makes me a referral from another customer. Since they are
coming to me after they have had an unsuccessful dealing with a tile
roof repair contractor and because I give them a written warranty
(something unheard of on roof repairs) and because I have confidence
in my troubleshooting and repair abilities, I get my price. Most tile
repair guys screw up more than they fix, so they don't warranty their
work or slip out of it if the warranty is exercised.

Like I said, I LOVE tile repairs. And OP's barrel tiles (if they are
a true, two piece, clay extrusion) are the hardest tile roofs to
trouble shoot and repair. They are the most expensive to repair of
all roofs.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

I live in a community of 200 homes. All built around the same time by the
same developer. It looks like we are losing about 10 roofs a year.
90# material may very well be what's underneath the tiles.(I did not know
what to call it)
Is the 90# material better than the "Ice & water" rubber shield or just
different? I have seen them install both types, different houses.
I'm just trying to be a informed consumer.
Ed

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

Ed Ahern wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, Ed. There are true barrel tiles, and they are extruded clay, a
two piece overlap system.

Then there are barrel shaped cement tiles. These are not actual
barrel tiles, but concrete manufactured tiles manufactured to have the
appearance and coloration of real clay tiles.

Here's a hint. If the tiles are "U" shaped and very fragile, about
16" long and about 7 - 8" across, they are true barrel tiles. They
will not be uniform in shape or dimension.

If they are uniform in shape and dimension and actually look like
tile, no matter what the profile (barrel, half barrel, striated,
smooth, rough, etc.) they are probably concrete.

So which do you have?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Ahern wrote:
I live in a community of 200 homes. All built around the same time by
the same developer. It looks like we are losing about 10 roofs a year.

Losing them to what? What is wrong/happening to them?

90# material may very well be what's underneath the tiles.(I did not
know what to call it)
Is the 90# material better than the "Ice & water" rubber shield or
just different? I have seen them install both types, different houses.
I'm just trying to be a informed consumer.

Is it better? I have no idea. I've seen "rubber" membranes used but not
under tile. Keep in mind I haven't seen all that many tile roofs. Or ther
kinds, for that matter.

What I *do* know is that there has to be some way of afixing the tile to the
menbrane. One way is to use mortar. That will stick well to the 90# felt
assuming a low-moderate roof pitch; no more than, I would guess, 5:12.

Another way is to naol wood battens onto the roof and then nail the tiles to
those. Somehow, that does not appeal to me; I'd just as soon not have 100s
& 100s of nails going through whatever is supposed to keep out the water.
Nor am I all that keen on having all those wood battens up there getting wet
and trapping water; as you pointed out, water does get under the tiles.

There are probably other ways too. A good way to inform yourself would be
to browse thew sites of tile manufacturers and get their installation PDFs
to read. Here are a couple one to get you started...

http://www.rooftile.com/information/...formation.html

http://www.hansonrooftile.com/index...._in formation

--

dadiOH

OT, Southern Blizzard The Daring Dufas[_8_] Home Repair 56 January 19th 13 06:50 PM
just slightly off topic, but mostly on topic; Make-up air marc rosen Woodworking 15 October 24th 11 03:40 AM
Southern Steel ATP Metalworking 6 August 16th 10 09:44 PM
Southern Electric Vortex UK diy 8 November 25th 07 10:16 PM
Help You Southern Guys Glenn Woodturning 1 May 30th 05 01:49 AM