Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Ya Never Know

Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was
told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.

He was a man in his mid 70's and was very active both in his
business and his personal life which included competitive
pistol shooting.

He was a health nut but hated hospitals and most of the
medical profession.

For someone who tried to take care of himself and thought he
had a strong immune system as a result of taking OTC pills
and herbs, his death came as quite a shock,
especially since he was very physically trim.

Ya never know.

Time is passing, don't waste it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:33:44 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was
told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.

He was a man in his mid 70's and was very active both in his
business and his personal life which included competitive
pistol shooting.

He was a health nut but hated hospitals and most of the
medical profession.

For someone who tried to take care of himself and thought he
had a strong immune system as a result of taking OTC pills
and herbs, his death came as quite a shock,
especially since he was very physically trim.

Ya never know.

Time is passing, don't waste it.

Lew

Tempus Fugit
There is an older guy that lives a few miles from me that
built his own casket, it stays propped against the wall in his living
room.

Very nice as such things go, black walnut with brass handles and trim.

I had the occasion to ask him why he built and displayed it.
His answer was that, "It kept him in touch with how short life was and to
not live foolishly".
He built it in his 40"s, he is in his 80"s now, it must be working.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 3:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was
told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.

Ya never know.

Time is passing, don't waste it.

My Dad, who is turning 90 this year, only complaint when I picked him up
at the airport to take him back to the ranch after a two week trip to CO
a couple of weeks back, was that just about everyone he knew was dead,
or incapable of talking on the phone.

He and his older brother, who is 95, do talk on the phone, but
apparently can only understand each other if they speak French ... go
figure.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was
told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.

He was a man in his mid 70's and was very active both in his
business and his personal life which included competitive
pistol shooting.

He was a health nut but hated hospitals and most of the
medical profession.

For someone who tried to take care of himself and thought he
had a strong immune system as a result of taking OTC pills
and herbs, his death came as quite a shock,
especially since he was very physically trim.

Ya never know.

Time is passing, don't waste it.

Sorry to hear it Lew. Likewise, a good friend of mine is 74. His oldest
son was 47. The son was atheletic, a non-smoker, a non-drinker, physically
fit, and like your friend, took care of himself. He came home one evening
two weeks ago, feeling just a little off. He went to bed but was restless,
so he went downstairs on the couch (as apparently, he did if something like
this happened in the past), so as not to disturb his wife. She came down in
the morning to find him dead on the couch.

Ya just never can tell. Sometimes it makes no sense at all.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

My Dad, who is turning 90 this year, only complaint when I picked
him up at the airport to take him back to the ranch after a two week
trip to CO a couple of weeks back, was that just about everyone he
knew was dead, or incapable of talking on the phone.

As my mother said when she hit 90, "Most of my peers are gone."
He and his older brother, who is 95, do talk on the phone, but
apparently can only understand each other if they speak French ...
go figure.

Doesn't surprise me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Sorry to hear it Lew. Likewise, a good friend of mine is 74. His
oldest son was 47. The son was atheletic, a non-smoker, a
non-drinker, physically fit, and like your friend, took care of
himself. He came home one evening two weeks ago, feeling just a
little off. He went to bed but was restless, so he went downstairs
on the couch (as apparently, he did if something like this happened
in the past), so as not to disturb his wife. She came down in the
morning to find him dead on the couch.

I'm reminded of a lyric from the song "Three Jolly Coachmen",
sung by the Kingston Trio.

Here's to the lad who drinks dark ale,
He goes to bed quite mellow,

Here's to the lad who drinks dark ale,
He goes to bed quite mellow,

He lives as he ought to live,
Lives as he ought to live,

Lives as he ought to live,
And dies a jolly good fellow.

Here's to the man who drinks water pure,
and goes to bed quite sober,

Here's to the man who drinks water pure,
and goes to bed quite sober,

He falls as the leaves do fall,
Falls as the leaves do fall,

Falls as the leaves do fall,
He'll die before October.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:04:44 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/13/2013 3:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Just called to talk to one of my principles about a quote and was
told he had a heart attack and dropped dead last week.

Ya never know.

Time is passing, don't waste it.

My Dad, who is turning 90 this year, only complaint when I picked him up
at the airport to take him back to the ranch after a two week trip to CO
a couple of weeks back, was that just about everyone he knew was dead,
or incapable of talking on the phone.

He and his older brother, who is 95, do talk on the phone, but
apparently can only understand each other if they speak French ... go
figure.

My mother turned 94 last month. She still drives, lives alone in a
rambler with a yard. Her last high school reunion only had about 4
people. She plays 18 holes of golf a week and the women at the club
have adopted her as their goal. Also does Tai Chi for her balance.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

My mother turned 94 last month. She still drives, lives alone...

That's great. Mine turns 90 later this year and is doing the same. She
keeps surprising me with what she can do.

...Also does Tai Chi for her balance.
Mike M

I do T'ai Chi and learned to teach it. Can't convince my mother, or
others, to try it but I figure it may be all I can do later in life.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought I was healthy, living an active life.... and all that jazz! My profession was in the medical field.... protected and safe, right? Wrong!

Looking back, I think my diet wasn't the greatest and this greatly increased my risks for clogged arteries. I was forced to retire at age 49, after a mild stroke. There is no one root cause for a stroke, though.

Maybe I should have learned more French, but I can still hum the tunes, pretty well.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2013 10:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
I thought I was healthy, living an active life.... and all that jazz! My profession was in the medical field.... protected and safe, right? Wrong!

Looking back, I think my diet wasn't the greatest and this greatly increased my risks for clogged arteries. I was forced to retire at age 49, after a mild stroke. There is no one root cause for a stroke, though.

Maybe I should have learned more French, but I can still hum the tunes, pretty well.

Mais cher ... wit all dem crawfish and gumbo, no damn wonder we clog de
plumbin', hah?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:40:09 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
Mais cher ... wit all dem crawfish and gumbo, no damn wonder we clog de plumbin', hah?

Exactly.

Holly Klegg has a spot on the US Farm Report/Louisiana Edition, airs every Saturday and Sunday mornings, where she serves up a dish-of-the-day. I've taken note of her recipes, from time to time.

http://www.hollyclegg.com/about.cfm

Sonny