Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plunge saw choices

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/16/2013 8:03 AM, Leon wrote:

quick, simple, foolproof,
and expensive.

Don't look now, Bubba ... but you just described Festool to a "T". :)

The discussion being on "tools that work well",
I have a related question.

In doing pocket-joinery ala Kreg, what helps insures that "nothing slips" when
finally attaching the 2 pieces of wood with a screw (or screws).

And, more than one way to screw a cat:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...70778907836994

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

I've always been partial to the "vise-grip" type mechanism for quick
change clamping ... in my childhood I somehow knew a few folks who
actually used vice grips when their gear shift broke on the steering
columns of their trucks ... kinda thought they were standard issue
there for a while.

Years ago when CBS TV was running "On the road" programs on Sunday
morning, they had a contributor who lived in Nebraska and submitted
his
stories under the heading, "Postcards from Nebraska".

One of his "Postcards" was a story about the machine shop who invented
"ViceGrips".

Story went to great lengths to show all the unusual ways they jerry
rigged "ViceGrips" to solve problems.

Most of the odd ball special "ViceGrips" brought to market were an
outgrowth of solving these unique clamping problems in their own shop.

Just another dose of Friday morning trivia.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

One of his "Postcards" was a story about the machine shop who invented
"ViceGrips".

Story went to great lengths to show all the unusual ways they jerry
rigged "ViceGrips" to solve problems.

Most of the odd ball special "ViceGrips" brought to market were an
outgrowth of solving these unique clamping problems in their own shop.

Yep, years ago I took a welding class. The instructor, who wrote out
textbook, was a big fan of vicegrips. He had boxes of them modified for
every purpose imaginable. A requirement for certification from his program
was to make up some vice grip "helpers". He was big on jigs and these
modified visegrips really helped out with unusual welding and fabrication
problems. Particularly in the field and welding non square materials. He
even had a few designed for metal artists.

I brought in some visegrips and welded different shapes to them. Also cut
off portions of them and welded extensions to them. I made up several of
them for my own use. I probably saw at least fifty different configurations
of these specialty clamping devices in this class.

Not enough choices [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 3rd 12 11:43 PM
TV choices Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 61 September 13th 12 12:43 AM
plunge saw ? sm_jamieson UK diy 3 June 29th 10 07:33 PM
Chisel Choices news.east.cox.net Woodworking 9 April 14th 05 07:11 AM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM