Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Feasibility & cost of building a dining room table in 12 woodshop classes

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:15:28 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:27:11 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/9/2012 10:01 PM, Bill wrote:

I think the answer is yes if your instructor is intent on helping you do
it. This guy will help you build one in one day for $385, materials
included:

Thank you for not cross-posting, along with the old time wRec'ers, Leon
and C_Less.

WTF are you ragging about now, Karl?

Thanking for not cross posting. If you have a problem with that, kiss my
ass.

I thought you'd found yet another thing to criticize me about. After
finding out how you feel about me a few weeks ago, you can kiss my
ass. I'd just as soon not hear anything from you again. Feel free to
filter me, too.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:

I'm particularly fond of oak for making furniture,
and the cost isn't out of control.
Poplar is nice too, but I don't think they make poplar plywood,
and without plywood, it gets expensive fast.

I was planning on gluing solid wood together, side by side
and not using plywood. At least that's how I would have done
it 40 years ago when I was in high school shop class.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2012 6:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I thought you'd found yet another thing to criticize me about.

And that coming from the #1 critic of any other finish but that which
you deem suitable to your taste?

.... go figure.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Found a new hobby?
-Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew - what the hell are you doing? At first it seemed like you were making
a statement about the bickering going on within the cross posts, but
ferchristsake mister - you're blanking every reasonable discussion as well.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:09:51 +0000 (UTC), William Don**ly
wrote:

David L. Martel wrote:

You don't say how long a class is

Here is the class description:

Woodworking Techniques 101:
This comprehensive 12-session class is a complete course in woodworking
techniques.
Each 3-hour class covers basic and fundamental woodworking concepts for both
the new woodworker & advanced techniques for the experienced craftsman.
Lumber may be purchased from the instructor or brought by the student
but only new lumber may be used on the school machinery.
Each student must choose a project by the third week.
Project grading will be based on safety, simplicity, form, and finish.
A $25 charge for materials is payable to the instructor at the first meeting.

No way can you finish a table under those circumstances.

Are you taking the class to learn or just to use the tools? Two
weeks are just teaching and probably very little hands on except to
run a board through the saw. Now you are down to 30 hours total. Will
you be allowed to be ripping your wood while the teacher is showing
how to use a hand plane? Will you be able to clamp up your top at the
same time a dozen other students are trying to clamp up their TV stand
or bookcase? Will Norm be there to put in a brad to hold things
together?

Take the class, but find a place where you can rent time on the tools.
My guess the teacher won't want you planing your wood in the big
planer while he is showing how to sharpen a chisel.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:

More work, and more expense, but as long as your wood is
straight and your joints are strong, you get higher-quality
results.

I remember in my high school woodshop class 40 years ago that we
would turn the "U" curves of the grain the opposite way for each board
in order to keep it straight over multiple boards.

I was planning on doing the same if that's still the current
technique.

Then, I would outline the curved sides, and probably cut those with a
band saw.

I'd router the top edge all around.

I'm not sure how to make the center pedestal but I'm likely going to glue
pieces together and then turn them on the lathe.

Again, that's how I would have done it 40 years ago - but I'm not sure
what changes have been made to shop equipment over the years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:10:20 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/10/2012 6:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I thought you'd found yet another thing to criticize me about.

And that coming from the #1 critic of any other finish but that which
you deem suitable to your taste?

... go figure.

Criticizing poly finishes is not calling someone a google-fed airhead,
asshole. Go **** yourself.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.
-- Dorothy L. Sayers

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques

Posted to rec.woodworking

test

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

William Don**ly wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

I'm particularly fond of oak for making furniture,
and the cost isn't out of control.
Poplar is nice too, but I don't think they make poplar plywood,
and without plywood, it gets expensive fast.

I was planning on gluing solid wood together, side by side
and not using plywood. At least that's how I would have done
it 40 years ago when I was in high school shop class.

Still the best way IMO. And not that much more expensive. For example, a
4x8 sheet of walnut ply can be had for less than $100. Select, surfaced 4/4
walnut lumber is less than $6/brd.ft so an equivalent amount of would be
about $180. However, if your table top is less than 4x8 you won't need an
equivalent amount and you won't have part of a plywood sheet left over.

Regarding rounded ends, someone mentioned the necessity of a router compass
jig. That's one way of doing it but there is nothing wrong with drawing a
line, cutting off with a sabre saw and smoothing the edge with a belt
sander. The edge can then be profiled to your liking with a router. The
resultant curve may vary slightly from end to end. So what?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Found a new hobby?
-Bill

Apparently he is practicing to become a critic. It seems he finds the words
of wisdom from many/most of us to be lacking in merit.

We have been measured and found wanting sob

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:42:43 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Apparently he is practicing to become a critic. It seems he finds the words
of wisdom from many/most of us to be lacking in merit.

We have been measured and found wanting sob

What happened to being "weighed" before "measured"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Apparently he is practicing to become a critic. It seems he finds
the words of wisdom from many/most of us to be lacking in merit.

We have been measured and found wanting sob

What happened to being "weighed" before "measured"?

I gained weight so I avoid scales.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2012 11:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Criticizing poly finishes is not calling someone a google-fed airhead,
asshole. Go **** yourself.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.
-- Dorothy L. Sayers

Thank gawd for tagline generators, eh Larry ... otherwise meaningful
content would once again be nonexistent.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
William Don**ly wrote:

My local town adult education flyer came in for the winter session, offering
12 woodshop sessions for $200, which got me wondering.

Is it feasible to build a basic dining room table in 12 woodshop classes?
How much would it cost?

Of course, the devil is in the details, so I just want to rough it out.

I realize the variability in cost of the wood could be huge.
What's a decent dark'ish brown wood for a decent price for a dining room
table?

The shape of the table would be either circular or rectangular with oval
ends.
Maybe five or eight feet long?
(What's a basic size for seating four to six people?)

In addition to other comments, I'll add that the project might be
physically too large for the class. I took an adult ed furniture
refinishing class years ago, and was told that the dining table I wanted
to refinish was too big. Not a time constraint as much as a size
constraint, as each participant was allotted 1/2 of a 30" x 8' work
table. I ended up just doing the leaves.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:00:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/10/2012 11:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Criticizing poly finishes is not calling someone a google-fed airhead,
asshole. Go **** yourself.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.
-- Dorothy L. Sayers

Thank gawd for tagline generators, eh Larry ... otherwise meaningful
content would once again be nonexistent.

Further proof that you don't know a thing about me. I collect those
signature quotes from things I read and from online quotations pages.

I feel sorry for you Cajun-Americans.

Thus ends any dialog between us.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Found a new hobby?
-Bill

Apparently he is practicing to become a critic. It seems he finds the words
of wisdom from many/most of us to be lacking in merit.

We have been measured and found wanting sob

Well, I guess people deserve feedback on their posting performance.
Perhaps, our community is as good as the thoughtfulness and effort with
which people are willing to share. Throwing an egg across the room
probably deserves a "duck-egg score"(O).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 12:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:00:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/10/2012 11:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Criticizing poly finishes is not calling someone a google-fed airhead,
asshole. Go **** yourself.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.
-- Dorothy L. Sayers

Thank gawd for tagline generators, eh Larry ... otherwise meaningful
content would once again be nonexistent.

Further proof that you don't know a thing about me. I collect those
signature quotes from things I read and from online quotations pages.

Much better than original thought, eh?

I feel sorry for you Cajun-Americans.

Thus ends any dialog between us.

Your loss ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Actually I think Swingman was paying you a complement on your tag
lines....you know, the part of your posts that makes sense.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:43:58 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Get a room, you two.