Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF: Repair or Replace?

I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.

The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have worn down near the corners:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rPanelDoor.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorA.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorB.jpg

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing this.

Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Dimensions.jpg

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.