Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF: Repair or Replace?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 10:19:01 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:58:59 AM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:24:10 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.

The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have worn down near the corners:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rPanelDoor.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorA.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorB.jpg

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing this.

Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Dimensions.jpg

Q: How does a door get rounded on BOTH edges like that? Curious!

It's extremely common on these games. I assume that the wear is due to the slight movements over the course of over three decades along with the weight of the panel/door all rested on that 3/16" wide lip.

Um, why is the door scraping on the ground, anyway? I guess it's the
walking it does when people TILT it, huh?

Is there any reason you can't simply overlay a moulding over the

bottom? Even a 1x4 pineywood strip might work. Screw it on from the

inside, prime/paint it, and forget it.

That lip fits inside a slot, so the dimensions have to be correct.

Is the door inset or something? If the lip is in a slot, why is it
scuffed all to hell? Does not compute. Where are the hinges, anyway?

Darren, you'd have better luck asking questions with picture urls
linked to the query. We could see how these things sit in their
habitats.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques