Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Repair or Replace?

wrote:
I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game
cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.

The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have
worn down near the corners:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorA.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorB.jpg

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing
this.

Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it
down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick
MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option
left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place,
but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Dimensions.jpg

Yes, you could smooth the edge and build a lip with Bondo, sand smooth and
paint but it won't have any shear strength. It is so thin that it wouldn't
be great even in solid wood. BTW, what you have isn't MDF, it is particle
board.

Your best repair would be to cut off the lip plus another 1/2" or so and
glue on a piece of wood to replace what you cut off. If you have to have a
lip, rout it into the wood either before or after gluing it on. If you need
to use screws or nails, pre-drill.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net