Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood, and more wood ...

From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...20167260610594

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Swingman
wrote:

From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

That is really cool...

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Besides the work of art, itself, that's pretty amazing, considering all the work involved. Not your typical weekend project! I'd like to see it in person. What would one do for an encore project?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...20167260610594

Very cool, having the vision to see the younger version of the tree again.

The building seem quite amazing too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 12/7/2012 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...20167260610594

Looking beyond the art. Is there anything that looks better than wood
architecture?

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/7/2012 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

So how many did he break saving the ones he did???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 1:23 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

So how many did he break saving the ones he did???

Not to mention that I'm sure there is plenty of artistic license
involved in the end product, but it does thoroughly tickle the
imagination.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 1:15 PM, LdB wrote:

Looking beyond the art. Is there anything that looks better than wood
architecture?

Not much ... a bit more visible "timber frame" joinery and hog heaven
would be achieved.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 7, 2012 1:46:13 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
On 12/7/2012 1:23 PM, dpb wrote: So how many did he break saving the ones he did???
Not to mention that I'm sure there is plenty of artistic license involved in the end product....

Hmmm? Artistic license?! I would like to think he did, in fact, carve out the trunk, to reveal the inner small sapling, and not employ "artistic license" in carving out a cavity in the trunk and installing some other sapling into the cavity.

As presented, I'll accept that he did do the carving, as explained.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:

Looking beyond the art. Is there anything that looks better than wood
architecture?

Yup. The female body.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
From Wimp.com: Artist Giuseppe Penone carefully removes the rings of
growth to reveal the "sapling within". By carving out the inside of a
tree trunk and leaving the knots in place, they eventually emerge as
tiny limbs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...20167260610594

looks like the way a pine tree rots. The heart and knots are still
solid after the sapwood is gone.

--
G.W. Ross

Snow and adolescence are the only
problems that go away if ignored long
enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 2:24 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2012 1:46:13 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

On 12/7/2012 1:23 PM, dpb wrote: So how many did he break saving the ones he did???
Not to mention that I'm sure there is plenty of artistic license involved in the end product....

Hmmm? Artistic license?! I would like to think he did, in fact, carve out the trunk, to reveal the inner small sapling, and not employ "artistic license" in carving out a cavity in the trunk and installing some other sapling into the cavity.

As presented, I'll accept that he did do the carving, as explained.

Didn't want to burst your balloon, cher!

Just like the "French model" in the video, color me a wee bit suspicious
of all things being exactly what they seem on the Internet, especially
when it's labeled as "art" and then photographed.

I would like to think that is exactly as represented, reserve judgement
for a personal inspection, but still nonetheless appreciate the artist'
tickling of my imagination.

and, just in case you haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpbS00RNZhY

ITMT, "Bawwnn Jyour" ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 7, 2012 3:36:47 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
Didn't want to burst your balloon, cher!

It needed bursting. I missed your earlier meaning.

After a little searching, seems his work is genuine and accurate as described. http://www.ago.net/giuseppe-penone-t...en-life-within
and he http://www.improvisedlife.com/2012/1...n-life-within/

That museum is the AGO Galleria Italia in Toronto, Ontario, Ca. - http://www.ago.net/galleria-italia

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

A friend, in Toronto, visits the museum occassionally and found this video on the museum website.
http://artmatters.ca/wp/tag/giuseppe-penone/

Sonny

Junior Member

It's good to be here for having many information about woodworking. If I want to learn some tips about woodworking from you, will instruct me?

Junior Member

It's good to be here for having many information about woodworking. If I want to learn some tips about woodworking from you, will instruct me?
Posted to rec.woodworking

anisagimran wrote:
It's good to be here for having many information about woodworking. If I
want to learn some tips about woodworking from you, will instruct me?

Just read all the woodworking posts here everyday and you'll find lots
of tips. If you have a question, just post it and maybe someone will
answer it. If you want a contract, then you can create one by making an
offer. Or you could just sign up for a class which is basically the same
thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

anisagimran wrote:
It's good to be here for having many information about woodworking.
If I want to learn some tips about woodworking from you, will
instruct me?

Just read all the woodworking posts here everyday and you'll find lots
of tips. If you have a question, just post it and maybe someone will
answer it. If you want a contract, then you can create one by making
an offer. Or you could just sign up for a class which is basically the
same thing.

I have a feeling that the message was intended to get past spam filters.
It probably contains hyperlinks (that get stripped out).

It was posted through the web interface at DIYbanter. (Sometimes I wind
up there searching the past archives of the group. Better than Google
Groups for searching and reading.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in :

anisagimran wrote:
It's good to be here for having many information about woodworking.
If I want to learn some tips about woodworking from you, will
instruct me?

Just read all the woodworking posts here everyday and you'll find lots
of tips. If you have a question, just post it and maybe someone will
answer it. If you want a contract, then you can create one by making
an offer. Or you could just sign up for a class which is basically the
same thing.

I have a feeling that the message was intended to get past spam filters.
It probably contains hyperlinks (that get stripped out).

It was posted through the web interface at DIYbanter. (Sometimes I wind
up there searching the past archives of the group. Better than Google
Groups for searching and reading.)

Puckdropper

You are probably right. We can watch for anisagimran's follow-up!

I did a search on his name and found he is relatively new to alot of
related forums. So at least he is enthusiastic! ; )

Cheers,
Bill