Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: How Sweet It Is.

"How Sweet It Is", Jackie Gleason's famous line seems appropriate.

Have you noticed how the size of the package and the price of items
in the grocery store remain the same, but the quantity of material in
the package keeps getting smaller and smaller?

I have been using the same bar soap for so long I can't remember
using anything else.

There were 6-8 bars per package and the bar weighed 5 ozs oh so
long ago.

Today, there are still 6-8 bars per package but the bar now weighs
3.75 ozs.

That's a 25% reduction in soap for the same price.

Ticked me off, time for a new game plan.

Continue to use a bar until it starts to feel to small in my hand.

There is still maybe 10%-15% of the bar remaining, but it is no
longer comfortable to use.

In the old days, would probably have tossed that small amount,
but not today.

Today I toss them in a bowl.

When there are 15-20 small bars in the bowl, shovel them into a
piece of panty hose, tie the ends shut, and have a super bar that
gets 100% used.

I didn't win, but at least I got them thinking.

"How Sweet It Is".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Long ago, Mad Magazine had a article on bar soap. The outer layer was made of hardened soap, that lasted a good while, then a layer of softer soap, that didn't last very long, then an inner hardest core, that lasted a long time.

Maybe the soap companies are now only making the outer and inner parts, that last the longest time, and leaving out the soft parts, that are worthless, anyway. We'd still be getting, essentially, the same amount of the product's efficiency, but I don't recall Mad Magazine reporting a bubble count, per bar, in their article, either, for a comparison.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Long ago, Mad Magazine had a article on bar soap. The outer layer
was made of hardened soap, that lasted a good while, then a layer of
softer soap, that didn't last very long, then an inner hardest core,
that lasted a long time.

The outside last longer since it has greater surface area. The inner
core last a long time because its hard to get to.

I stack the small ones and pack em together, sort of like Lew.

Maybe the soap companies are now only making the outer and inner
parts, that last the longest time, and leaving out the soft parts,
that are worthless, anyway. We'd still be getting, essentially, the
same amount of the product's efficiency, but I don't recall Mad
Magazine reporting a bubble count, per bar, in their article, either,
for a comparison.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Long ago, Mad Magazine had a article on bar soap. The outer layer
was made of hardened soap, that lasted a good while, then a layer of
softer soap, that didn't last very long, then an inner hardest core,
that lasted a long time.

The outside last longer since it has greater surface area. The inner
core last a long time because its hard to get to.

I stack the small ones and pack em together, sort of like Lew.

Maybe the soap companies are now only making the outer and inner
parts, that last the longest time, and leaving out the soft parts,
that are worthless, anyway. We'd still be getting, essentially, the
same amount of the product's efficiency, but I don't recall Mad
Magazine reporting a bubble count, per bar, in their article, either,
for a comparison.

Sonny

You should be able to heat slightly and cast new bar in a mould.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Sweet It Is.

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Got a solution for ice cream?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:53:42 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Today I toss them in a bowl.

When there are 15-20 small bars in the bowl, shovel them into a
piece of panty hose, tie the ends shut, and have a super bar that
gets 100% used.

I didn't win, but at least I got them thinking.

Got a solution for ice cream?

Put the almost empty ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds
and drink the last few bites. Don't forget to lick inside the lid.
Scoop ice cream into low, wide bowls so you can lick those clean, too.

HINT: If you do this in front of your girlfriend or wife, it may get
you lucky, so you get dessert after dessert.

LJ, ice cream (and woman) afficionado.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Today I toss them in a bowl.

When there are 15-20 small bars in the bowl, shovel them into a
piece of panty hose, tie the ends shut, and have a super bar that
gets 100% used.

I didn't win, but at least I got them thinking.

Got a solution for ice cream?

Put the almost empty ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds
and drink the last few bites. Don't forget to lick inside the lid.
Scoop ice cream into low, wide bowls so you can lick those clean, too.

HINT: If you do this in front of your girlfriend or wife, it may get
you lucky, so you get dessert after dessert.

If you let a woman see you do that it is likely you don't have a
girlfriend or wife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Today I toss them in a bowl.

When there are 15-20 small bars in the bowl, shovel them into a
piece of panty hose, tie the ends shut, and have a super bar that
gets 100% used.

I didn't win, but at least I got them thinking.

Got a solution for ice cream?

Put the almost empty ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds
and drink the last few bites. Don't forget to lick inside the lid.
Scoop ice cream into low, wide bowls so you can lick those clean, too.

HINT: If you do this in front of your girlfriend or wife, it may get
you lucky, so you get dessert after dessert.

If you let a woman see you do that it is likely you don't have a
girlfriend or wife.

Anal much?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Put the almost empty ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds
and drink the last few bites. Don't forget to lick inside the lid.
Scoop ice cream into low, wide bowls so you can lick those clean, too.

HINT: If you do this in front of your girlfriend or wife, it may get
you lucky, so you get dessert after dessert.

LJ, ice cream (and woman) afficionado.

What about pouring the melted little bits of ice cream into a jar and
letting it freeze? Then, when you get enough you defrost it and churn it
again.

Serve to the aforementioned girlfriend or wife if you feel lucky.

*g*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Today I toss them in a bowl.

When there are 15-20 small bars in the bowl, shovel them into a
piece of panty hose, tie the ends shut, and have a super bar that
gets 100% used.

I didn't win, but at least I got them thinking.

Got a solution for ice cream?

Put the almost empty ice cream carton in the microwave for 15 seconds
and drink the last few bites. Don't forget to lick inside the lid.
Scoop ice cream into low, wide bowls so you can lick those clean, too.

HINT: If you do this in front of your girlfriend or wife, it may get
you lucky, so you get dessert after dessert.

If you let a woman see you do that it is likely you don't have a
girlfriend or wife.

Anal much?

Actually my wife was looking over my shoulder, reading your response.
She made that comment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I opened a can of Vienna sausage the other day. Hadn't had any of these in
at least 30 years. Used to be a challenge to get them out of the can they
were packed so tight. Opened this one and they were rolling around in the
can. Same can, contents shrunk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:
?
I opened a can of Vienna sausage the other day. Hadn't had any of these
in at least 30 years. Used to be a challenge to get them out of the can
they were packed so tight. Opened this one and they were rolling around
in the can. Same can, contents shrunk.

Noticed the same thing about KFC the first time I had some in twenty years
.... Couldn't believe how small chickens had become.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2012 7:51 AM, Swingman wrote:
"CW" wrote:
?
I opened a can of Vienna sausage the other day. Hadn't had any of these
in at least 30 years. Used to be a challenge to get them out of the can
they were packed so tight. Opened this one and they were rolling around
in the can. Same can, contents shrunk.

Noticed the same thing about KFC the first time I had some in twenty years
... Couldn't believe how small chickens had become.

We are just getting older. Think back, I remember visiting the first
house I lived in when I was kid. It looked tiny as did the elementary
school I went to. I thought that place was enormous when I was smaller.

Convening the KFC, I recall my old boss always buying a different brand
fried chicken because he did not like the small pieces that KFC offered.
That was in 1989 but he was reflecting back to 1975 when he was in
college and needed meal money to a looooong way. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:
?

[...]

try comparing the size of roasted chickens from the supermarket and
costco. they deliberately use smaller (cheaper) ones in the supermarket.
costco roasted chickens are one of the top 10 items sold there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"CW" wrote:
?
I opened a can of Vienna sausage the other day. Hadn't had any of
these in at least 30 years. Used to be a challenge to get them out
of the can they were packed so tight. Opened this one and they were
rolling around in the can. Same can, contents shrunk.

Noticed the same thing about KFC the first time I had some in twenty
years ... Couldn't believe how small chickens had become.

In the supermarkets too. We used to be able to get roasters, stewing
chickens, fryers, capons, etc. Now most all the chickens are killed when
they are barely fledged...as young as 30 days, few make it to six months.
Thank agribusiness for that, they figured out the age for maximum return.

Ditto pork. I haven't had a decent pork chop since one I had in Costa Rica
almost 20 years ago. Again, pigs are slaughtered much younger than they
used to be; diet is closely controlled too. The result is meat with very
little fat and the taste is in the fat. The last ham the wife bought had
virtually *NO* fat and the rind was paper thin. Definitely not the ham from
my youth (which I loved [the ham not the youth; well, that too]).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

Ditto pork. I haven't had a decent pork chop since one I had in
Costa Rica almost 20 years ago. Again, pigs are slaughtered much
younger than they used to be; diet is closely controlled too. The
result is meat with very little fat and the taste is in the fat.
The last ham the wife bought had virtually *NO* fat and the rind was
paper thin. Definitely not the ham from my youth (which I loved
[the ham not the youth; well, that too]).

Send me a valid e-mail and I'll send you a recipe you might like.

Lew