Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blue wood

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...81457537925760
48.html

+1

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:27:51 AM UTC-6, Han wrote:
Swingman http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...81457537925760 48.html +1

Neat effect. A project, with that lumber, would need to be specific for the blue color, IMO. Don't know if I would want bluish kitchen cabinets.

I once had similarly "stained" boards, though not as pretty as those, after having 4 pine logs milled. I didn't wash the sawdust off, before stickering to air dry. The wet sawdust, remaining on the boards, molded/mildewed and stained the boards a mix of blue, bluish-gray, gray and some black, per board.... not pretty, at all. Lesson learned: Wash the sawdust off your milled lumber before stickering.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:27:51 AM UTC-6, Han wrote:
Swingman
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...81457537925760 48.html +1

Neat effect. A project, with that lumber, would need to be specific for
the blue color, IMO. Don't know if I would want bluish kitchen cabinets.

I once had similarly "stained" boards, though not as pretty as those,
after having 4 pine logs milled. I didn't wash the sawdust off, before
stickering to air dry. The wet sawdust, remaining on the boards,
molded/mildewed and stained the boards a mix of blue, bluish-gray, gray
and some black, per board.... not pretty, at all. Lesson learned: Wash
the sawdust off your milled lumber before stickering.

Probably works in CO due to the influx of urban raised transplants who have
their first taste of "country cool", but, as most fads, it won't last long,
as those who frequently declare/change the latest fashions for profit will
move the fickle herd onto something else in time for their next magazine
cycle.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/12 7:30 AM, Swingman wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

Interesting. Two thoughts....
- I see a lot of blue streaking like that in pine 2x lumber in the big
box stores around here... never knew it was a fungus. I assure you, it
paints as well as cherry. :-)

- As with many other misguided "green" trends, they are building "green"
caskets out of the stuff. If you really want to die green, just bury
yourself in the ground, so casket, no embalming chemicals, just naked
flesh and let the worms do their work. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

Marketing genius....! When my son and I rode our bicycles from LaJunta, CO
to Pasco, WA it was a bit disconcerting to see the huge quantities of dead
trees. In one area a forest fire has reportedly been allowed to burn for
years to deal with the dead trees and perhaps slow down the spread of the
beetles. There is a LOT of damaged timber and by making the blue wood a
feature they have taken something that would have previously been rejected
as defective and made it desirable!

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

Marketing genius....! When my son and I rode our bicycles from
LaJunta, CO to Pasco, WA it was a bit disconcerting to see the huge
quantities of dead trees. In one area a forest fire has reportedly
been allowed to burn for years to deal with the dead trees and
perhaps slow down the spread of the beetles. There is a LOT of
damaged timber and by making the blue wood a feature they have taken
something that would have previously been rejected as defective and
made it desirable!

I don't know how much I'd call it marketing genius. We have a fair amount
of wood that is blue stained like that throughout our house, and it's been
in place for 27 years. We always thought it was a nice feature and didn't
mind having it mixed in with the rest of the wood, at all. Can't really
believe we are alone in that belief. I think the idea is as old as bug
infested wood and that people have liked it forever. Well - people like us,
anyway...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

Lots available in British Columbia, too.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
Posted to rec.woodworking

Years ago in the wood turning or this group a guy in Colorado
was using writ die in gallon jugs and feed young sapplings with this
juice and the wood after years of sucking in the water were beautiful.

He typically used one color but had gone into two as an experiment.

Takes time, but a fast growing hard wood is ideal.

Martin

On 12/1/2012 7:30 AM, Swingman wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792576048.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shame, they should have put them into a fiber mill and made paper
or mats or fuel for bio-generators.

Letting them rot also pollutes the air as the termite is the worst
in putting up gas - more than man and more than cows.

Martin

On 12/1/2012 12:41 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 22:19:48 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Shame, they should have put them into a fiber mill and made paper
or mats or fuel for bio-generators.

Letting them rot also pollutes the air as the termite is the worst
in putting up gas - more than man and more than cows.

Tell the Democrats. They'll ban termites and save the world!

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Shame, they should have put them into a fiber mill and made paper
or mats or fuel for bio-generators.

Letting them rot also pollutes the air as the termite is the worst
in putting up gas - more than man and more than cows.

Tell the Democrats. They'll ban termites and save the world!

I understand that the volume of dead trees is so great that they cannot be
processed fast enough to salvage all the wood for lumber or pulp. I caught a
show on TV about the logging of the dead trees and it is very dangerous
because the trees break and pieces fly all over the place... in short, they
are really beyond use in many cases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Long after the fact maybe. The forests around lake Tahoe are dead -
logs in the lake - along with MTBE bubble.

If the logging was allowed in real time, logs would have been useful.
But then there are those that think every tree should rot on the ground
and turn back to soil.

Some maybe. This massive amount is threatening the very eco system they
try to protect. But these are the flunky types - those that drop
out of school and march ... determine that we

1. use cadilitic converters that take out the wrong stuff
(and keep on going the wrong way)
2. Use MTBE to replace 1/2 of the gasoline gallon - and found it dropped
the millage and pollutes ground water - finally banned in Ca but
elsewhere ?
3. Let the forest burn and let anything in the way burn. Don't stop
the fires if possible. Small fires are good for seed but massive
ones attacks the Eco system of all who live in the forest. Destroys
top soil with flooding and so forth.

Try as they might, they just don't have the science behind them and tend
to pick the wrong side most of the time.

Martin

wrote:

Shame, they should have put them into a fiber mill and made paper
or mats or fuel for bio-generators.

Letting them rot also pollutes the air as the termite is the worst
in putting up gas - more than man and more than cows.

Tell the Democrats. They'll ban termites and save the world!

I understand that the volume of dead trees is so great that they cannot
be processed fast enough to salvage all the wood for lumber or pulp. I
caught a show on TV about the logging of the dead trees and it is very
dangerous because the trees break and pieces fly all over the place...
in short, they are really beyond use in many cases.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
Who knew that beetle stains can still make wonders and huge sales for those guys. Blue wood hasn't been that much popular because it's often called a stained wood and we always want those good looking wood for our projects but look at how good they are when turned into furniture. I like the idea that they placed a beetle in their project to pay tribute to the one that made the blue wood that way. - yve

Last edited by yve lynch : January 9th 13 at 10:44 AM

OT - Blue gas ? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 11 April 11th 10 01:52 PM
Blue 14/3 ??? gary Home Ownership 0 August 1st 06 07:19 AM
Mystery blue-grey wood Ted Moens Woodworking 10 September 24th 05 06:08 AM
Blue spirit based wood preservative where? Sam UK diy 4 July 16th 04 10:02 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM