Ted Moens

Default Mystery blue-grey wood

Greetings:

I recently bought a "box 'o veneer" at Lee Valley. I like to inlay small
strips and curves into many of the things I make and this box has a
suprising selection of reasonably large sheets up to 17" by 17") of veneer.
(It advertises 50 sq feet, but my rough calculation shows that there is more
than 150 square feet and some of the pieces are just breathtaking.)

Anyway, there are a few pieces of bluish grey wood with a grain quite
similar to maple. The colour is so distinct that I suppose I should know
what it is, but I don't. Can you help me out?

Cheers,

Ted

Fred

Ted Moens wrote:
Greetings:

I recently bought a "box 'o veneer" at Lee Valley. I like to inlay small
strips and curves into many of the things I make and this box has a
suprising selection of reasonably large sheets up to 17" by 17") of veneer.
(It advertises 50 sq feet, but my rough calculation shows that there is more
than 150 square feet and some of the pieces are just breathtaking.)

Anyway, there are a few pieces of bluish grey wood with a grain quite
similar to maple. The colour is so distinct that I suppose I should know
what it is, but I don't. Can you help me out?

Cheers,

Ted

My guess is that it IS maple. Spalted maple is stained by a fungus that
gets into the wood before it dries. It is usually blue, green or Gray,
and frequently quite attractive.
Fred

Ted Moens

Hi Fred:

I don't think it is. This colour is uniform throughout. I think that in
spalted maple, the fungus tends to travel in the grain giving shots of
discolouration. But I'm certainly no expert on it.

Cheers,

Ted

Ted Moens wrote:
Greetings:

I recently bought a "box 'o veneer" at Lee Valley. I like to inlay small
strips and curves into many of the things I make and this box has a
suprising selection of reasonably large sheets up to 17" by 17") of veneer.
(It advertises 50 sq feet, but my rough calculation shows that there is more
than 150 square feet and some of the pieces are just breathtaking.)

Anyway, there are a few pieces of bluish grey wood with a grain quite
similar to maple. The colour is so distinct that I suppose I should know
what it is, but I don't. Can you help me out?

Cheers,

Ted

can you post a picture to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Ted Moens wrote:
Hi Fred:

I don't think it is. This colour is uniform throughout. I think that in
spalted maple, the fungus tends to travel in the grain giving shots of
discolouration. But I'm certainly no expert on it.

Yes, in addition to the general discoloration there usually are also
jet-black lines extending along the grain boudaries, often marking
the perimeter of the dicolored areas.

--

FF

Battleax

"Ted Moens" wrote in message
Posted. Thanks.

Ted

Maple

Ted Moens

OK thanks. Never seen it this colour before, but one lives and learns.

Cheers,

Ted