Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - ooo la la, those legs!

On 10/27/2012 2:34 PM, Swingman wrote:
Moving off a far distant, furthermost back burner, and toward a back
burner closer to the front, is a personal bar stool project:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...ssionBarStool#

Router templates for bar stool back legs:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...65305303561778

Back legs, routed out with the template pattern shown, and ready for
marking mortise locations ... along with an extra for Murphy. Front legs
can be seen in the stack in the background:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...52927056371682

On the subject of wooden legs, one of the boards bought for this project
had more voids throughout than cheap Chinese plywood:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...65456152857506

You could not rip or crosscut it at any location where these voids did
not show up, face, edge or endgrain.

When I mentioned it at the hardware lumber yard on the next trip to pick
up more stock, and showed them this photo, they replaced the $66 board
unasked and with no further questions.

They mentioned casehardening, but I don't think so ... I believe it was
cut from a tree that was stressed in some manner, leaning or twisting
during its growth.

I've cut beaucoup wood and have never seen anything that had more
interior voids than Swiss cheese ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've cut beaucoup wood and have never seen anything that had more interior voids than Swiss cheese ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Cool stuff. I love chair setups.

I've seen and patched similar voids with epoxy. Luckily it was in a natural colored piece of WO and the T88 epoxy was a perfect color.