Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leaning furniture??

and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further
suggestions on examples.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:54:34 -0500, Swingman wrote:

and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further
suggestions on examples.

Interesting, but knowing me with my bad legs I'd have to fasten to the
wall so when I bumped into it I wouldn't have to pick it up off the
floor. Good use for those magnetic fasteners.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

There's been times when I've temporarily "stored" stuff on my ladder.

A glorified or altered ladder? Might only be useful for small items.

How about alternating shelves, somehow, like alternating stair steps, as a design option?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...BF4CAF&first=1

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...26698&first=83

Wall mounted cat ladder approach? Don't know if this is applicable, but this may lead to other ideas from someone else: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=... nt+cat+ladder

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on
their verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further
client input other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

Good thing you are not in earthquake country,

BTW, do they expect a discount since only 2 legs are suppliedG?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also, rather than straight (ladder) rails, have curved or undulating rails, including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 4:49 PM, Mike M wrote:
[...]

Anything of this sort would obviously be attached to the wall by anyone
but a total fool in this litigious society, not to mention that from
doing further research, these pieces are _always_ accompanied by the
minimum of an anti-tip device.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 5:03 PM, Sonny wrote:
Also, rather than straight (ladder) rails, have curved or undulating rails, including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

The below is what I believe to be the genesis of the idea for these
folks talking about the concept, and it makes sense since the Container
Store is right up there with Ikea for the younger set:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...0&N=&Ntt=linea

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2012 5:03 PM, Sonny wrote:
Also, rather than straight (ladder) rails, have curved or undulating rails, including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

The below is what I believe to be the genesis of the idea for these
folks talking about the concept, and it makes sense since the Container
Store is right up there with Ikea for the younger set:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...0&N=&Ntt=linea

They're proud of their stuff.

--
G.W. Ross

My inferiority complexes aren't as
good as yours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 2:49 PM, Mike M wrote:
[...]

I'd worry about stability, especially with a couple of cats in the
house. Anchor it to the wall some way and it might prove to be
functional to some degree.

Matt
(I like modern-looking stuff sometimes, but call me "old-fashioned".)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 4:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on
their verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further
client input other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

Good thing you are not in earthquake country,

BTW, do they expect a discount since only 2 legs are suppliedG?

Each leg removed will be a corresponding increase in design fees.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further suggestions
on examples.

I have seen variations of that sort of thing with some high end "small"
office furniture. Often made with metal and glass. Crate and barrel had a
selection of desks, etc a few years ago. There is a whole category of high
end furniture designed for apartments and condos. I have seen this kind of
thing in that market for at least twenty years. I have not seen any lately
though. That is either because I don't look at that sort of thing any more
or they just stopped making it.

As for the stability thing, the leaning desks I saw had sharp feet and were
anchored on the bottom by digging into the carpet. This approach, obviously
would not work on a hard surface floor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:53:19 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

There's been times when I've temporarily "stored" stuff on my ladder.

A glorified or altered ladder? Might only be useful for small items.

How about alternating shelves, somehow, like alternating stair steps, as a design option?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...BF4CAF&first=1

Yes, these are the type attorneys love best of all. They can almost
hear the ambulance sirens in the mere picture of it.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...26698&first=83

I like that first one with the central handrail. Of course, I'd want
a fireman's quick elevator pole for the down trip, y'know.

Wall mounted cat ladder approach? Don't know if this is applicable, but this may lead to other ideas from someone else: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=... nt+cat+ladder

Hah! I like the red one.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:46:48 -0400, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at
comcast dot net wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless, too. My
vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless,
too. My vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.

With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor
these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:54:34 -0500, Swingman wrote:
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??
http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmm. I might build furniture like that, but I`d sure be looking for a
way to fasten it to the wall. I`d probably also be looking for a way
to easily unfasten it too and move it on occasion.

Sounds like a real pain to me. Glad in this case anyway, that I`m not
building any of this furniture to a customer`s order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:49:52 -0700, Mike M
Interesting, but knowing me with my bad legs I'd have to fasten to the
wall so when I bumped into it I wouldn't have to pick it up off the
floor. Good use for those magnetic fasteners.

Even with rare earth magnets, they would they would have to be pretty
powerful to stop a piece of furniture from falling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:03:19 -0700, Larry Jaques
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=... nt+cat+ladder
Hah! I like the red one.

Yeah. That red one look like a pampered cat ladder and perch. If I had
the space available, that is something I would build for my cat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper
With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor
these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall
anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward
looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would
be to attach something else in their place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 3:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further
suggestions on examples.

In the drawing with the feet, if you add the feet to the top but
extending out you could add a wide, from the wall, shelf to hold
lighting that shines down on the desk top. That would also help hide a
wall anchor/attachment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 10:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
" wrote in
:

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless,
too. My vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.

With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor
these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

Puckdropper

Key hole slots on the back side of eaach leg at the top and a single
screw in the wall on each side to fit in those slots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote the following on 10/18/2012 5:49 PM (ET):
[...]

Velcro

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 11:41 PM, Dave wrote:
On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper
With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor
these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall
anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward
looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would
be to attach something else in their place.

I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these
things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the
proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of
spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a
shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective
for that purpose.

I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture in years, subject to
even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly where there are, or
will be, young children in the household) that is not anchored to a wall
in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping mechanism,
generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. That goes
for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, and
chests of drawers.

And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a custom set of
bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that he had done
the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom
cabinet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account
in everything he does.

AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young,
pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not
agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:33:36 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

I was thinking "top shelf", too, but with lag-end rods which fit into
the box beam shelf, spaced at 16" OC for the studs.
BR230 - Shelf Support at http://tinyurl.com/88a2m8g

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:20:52 -0500, Swingman wrote:
I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these
things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the
proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of
spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a
shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective
for that purpose.

I was more concerned with the mark/screw/hole left there if that piece
of furniture had to be moved somewhere else. Certainly not an
irreparable thing to fix, but a pain anyway. Even the slightest move
would negate the existing form of attachment.

Many/most pieces of furniture or shelving in my place is moved a
little bit on occasion. Fastening one of these pieces of furniture
being discussed is almost tantamount to a built in wall unit ~ it has
to stay exactly where it is, at least in my opinion.

They're designed to look like a free floating piece of furniture, but
they're exactly the opposite.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2012 8:35 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Safety ALWAYS has consequences/inconveniences ... it's life. Those who
refuse to acknowledge that fact are fools who do not deserve my
participation in their folly.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You bet. I picked up a freebie tall bookshelf unit a couple years ago
and the first thing I did was put an L bracket into it and the wall at
the back of the top shelf. It won't be falling on me or anyone else.
I've also noticed loose shelves at client homes and talked them into
letting me secure the units to the wall for them.

AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young,
pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not
agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall.

One Atta Boy comin' your way, Swingy. Let someone else's insurance
company take the fall for people's stupidity.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:54:34 -0500, Swingman wrote:

and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further
suggestions on examples.

I was looking through some of my Shaker furniture books a few days
ago and there is an example hanging shelves arranged on about the same
angle as your example.

Although the Shaker shelves aren't a piece of leaning furniture, the
appearance is much the same.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:28:02 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:49:52 -0700, Mike M
Interesting, but knowing me with my bad legs I'd have to fasten to the
wall so when I bumped into it I wouldn't have to pick it up off the
floor. Good use for those magnetic fasteners.

Even with rare earth magnets, they would they would have to be pretty
powerful to stop a piece of furniture from falling.

I was thinking of the hidden ones where the magnet it just to run the
screws in or out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2012 7:34 AM, Leon wrote:

Key hole slots on the back side of eaach leg at the top and a single
screw in the wall on each side to fit in those slots.

Bingo ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

I was looking through some of my Shaker furniture books a few days
ago and there is an example hanging shelves arranged on about the same
angle as your example.

Although the Shaker shelves aren't a piece of leaning furniture, the
appearance is much the same.

Which book is that?

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 22:55:08 -0500, Swingman wrote:

basilisk wrote:

I was looking through some of my Shaker furniture books a few days ago
and there is an example hanging shelves arranged on about the same
angle as your example.

Although the Shaker shelves aren't a piece of leaning furniture, the
appearance is much the same.

Which book is that?

Making Authentic Shaker Furniture

Subtitle: With measured drawings of museum classics.
Author John G. Shea
published originally in 1971, while there were still a few shakers
living.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2012 1:16 PM, basilisk wrote:
Making Authentic Shaker Furniture

Subtitle: With measured drawings of museum classics.
Author John G. Shea
published originally in 1971, while there were still a few shakers
living.

Thanks!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2012 11:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/19/2012 7:34 AM, Leon wrote:

Key hole slots on the back side of eaach leg at the top and a single
screw in the wall on each side to fit in those slots.

Bingo ...

Maybe simpler, a screw behind the drawers. Access by removing the
drawer. A little less touchy in placement to hit at least one stud.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:39:45 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 10/20/2012 1:16 PM, basilisk wrote: Making Authentic Shaker Furniture Subtitle: With measured drawings of museum classics. Author John G. Shea published originally in 1971, while there were still a few shakers living. Thanks! -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

The book Bill mentioned, and I ordered, "Furniture Treasures", and the other book I had mentioned, "The Early Furniture of French Canada", came in today. I glanced through them and the "French" book has a few pics of consoles, which appear to be leaning furniture, circa late 18th c. and early 19th c. It states they were common in churches, on one or each side of the altar. Also, they were in high end homes, of the times. The pics and discussion is in the section with trestle tables. There is similar discussion, regarding trestles tables only, in the Furniture Treasury book. The French book comments about modifications of the trestle table.

The Furniture Treasures book (Volume 3, pg 123) comments on trestle tables, in that, ...referring to plates (pics) 800- 802, "There is known to the author only one other long Pilgrim period trestle, that being in the Bolles Collection, Metropolitan Museum. One or two short examples, like 805, have recently been found. The collector should be very careful not to confuse the Shaker type of the early 19th century with a true Middle Age trestle and board table." *A board table MAY be a sideboard, as there is discussion of sideboards in the previous section. I highly suspect sideboards (or board tables), mentioned as being here in the sates, may be the same as the consoles, mentioned in the French Canada book. The discussions are very similar.

The writer says this board table was common in England and some samples were found in North Carolina. The writer has not come upon an American example, but such probably exist, or did. *Again, I've been just scanning and reading some parts.

Apparently, leaning tables, or shelf type furniture, have been around, in some form, for a long time, and even the Shakers may have had some sort of leaning shelf or table, as Basilisk mentions. A further (French) name, noted in the French book, for the console table is credences. Other examples of variations of the console table is demi-lune tables (old samples in the books, modern samples in the link ~~~) http://www.bing.com/search?q=demi-lu...ox&FORM=IE8SRC .

Some of these old tables look neat. Lots of good pics in each of these books. Pics are of furniture dating back to the 1600s. Shows, pretty well, the progression of design(s) over time.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:00:15 -0700, Sonny wrote:

[...]

~~~)
http://www.bing.com/search?q=demi-lune+table&src=IE-

SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC
.

Some of these old tables look neat. Lots of good pics in each of these
books. Pics are of furniture dating back to the 1600s. Shows, pretty
well, the progression of design(s) over time.

Sonny

when you get the book the shelves I was pointing out are on page
121, they aren't leaning but hanging.
They have graduated shelf widths from top to bottom.
The style to me was strikingly similar, with the added bonus
of not being unstable. (when anchored leaning is fine)

I like several of the pieces in this book, in particular, the bench
on 124 and the pedestal table on 183.

When I get the time, I may replace all the end tables
in the LR with these. I'll need 4 and they will go quickly
making several at the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I misread what you wrote Sonny, I thought you had ordered the book I
mentioned, my name is Bill also, got ahead of myself posting.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.bing.com/search?qÞmi-lun...ox&FORM=IE8SRC .

Some of these old tables look neat. Lots of good pics in each of these
books. Pics are of furniture dating back to the 1600s. Shows, pretty
well, the progression of design(s) over time.

I have the PDF version of the "treasure" book and can't find anything
leaning in the trestle table section? I'm going to try and find a copy of
the French book, sounds interesting. A "console" table to me has always
been a narrow table, not unlike the "sofa" table I just built.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the PDF version of the "treasure" book and can't find anything leaning in the trestle table section? I'm going to try and find a copy of the French book, sounds interesting. A "console" table to me has always been a narrow table, not unlike the "sofa" table I just built. -- www.ewoodshop.com

The trestle table, itself, is not leaning. The progression of design seems to have led to or from the leaning aspect. In the progression of design, seems a basic trestle table (typical commoner's dining furniture) was shortened, then had a folding side (placed against the wall) and became, what we know today as, a demilune. Modifications, along this path, resulted in some examples looking like leaning furniture.

Also, seems the different terms, used back then, are not the same as today, like "consoles".

Here are some pics from the French book of "consoles", which appear to be a type of leaning furniture - a half table, with 2 legs, leaning against the wall. I would suspect the table is attached to the wall.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

I paid $12.99 for Furniture Treasury Volume 3 and $16.04 for Volumes 1&2 (one book)... *this included shipping. The inside dust jacket of Vol 3 has a price tag of $24.95. The pages are rough paper, kind of reminds me of old writing tablet paper in grade school.

Furniture Treasury Vol 1&2 (one book) has very nice smooth quality paper, appropriate for color plates, pictures and such. This book looks new, though it was advertised as used. The inside dust cover has a price tag of $100/$140 Canadian. Both Furniture Treasury books measure 8" X 11". Both of these books were labeled, on Amazon, as "used, very good condition" and they are in great condition.

I paid $38.99, including shipping, for The Early Furniture of French Canada.. High quality paper, appropriate for the color plates and other excellent pictures. It was advertised on Amazon as "used, very good condition". It is used in good condition and has some slight yellowing around the edges of the pages. No pages torn. The dust cover has slight wear. The book measures 10" X12-1/2" and is hefty as the others. I think this book stopped being published in 1963, so it has some age to it, but still in great shape. No price tag on it, but there is $54 hand written on the inside cover.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The trestle table, itself, is not leaning. The progression of design
seems to have led to or from the leaning aspect. In the progression of
design, seems a basic trestle table (typical commoner's dining furniture)
was shortened, then had a folding side (placed against the wall) and
became, what we know today as, a demilune. Modifications, along this
path, resulted in some examples looking like leaning furniture.

Also, seems the different terms, used back then, are not the same as
today, like "consoles".

Here are some pics from the French book of "consoles", which appear to be
a type of leaning furniture - a half table, with 2 legs, leaning against
the wall. I would suspect the table is attached to the wall.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

Proving once again that there is little new under the sun ...

Thanks for going to all that trouble, Sonny ... Very nice of you and it
definitely expands the horizon for what I'm seeking.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 19, 2012 8:20:57 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2012 11:41 PM, Dave wrote: On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored. But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would be to attach something else in their place. I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective for that purpose. I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture in years, subject to even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly where there are, or will be, young children in the household) that is not anchored to a wall in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping mechanism, generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. That goes for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, and chests of drawers. And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a custom set of bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that he had done the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom cabinet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account in everything he does. AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young, pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall. -- www.eWoodShop..com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Happen to come across this - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=238 - which is very similar to your initial SketchUp. Described as a display shelf. I suppose it can't be top loaded with heavy items, but it looks nice for a home setting. Possibly what your customer had in mind?

Or have you finished with that project? I'd be interested in seeing what you ended up making.

Sonny

How to Stop Fence from Leaning ? utilitarian Home Repair 22 March 22nd 10 10:08 PM
leaning garage srazor Home Repair 3 October 25th 06 01:12 AM
how to meaure a leaning wall? Kim Home Ownership 5 January 30th 06 11:18 PM
Leaning Towards the JWBS-16 Bandsaw stoutman Woodworking 10 December 30th 05 03:56 PM
LEANING TOWER OF SHELVES T. Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 09:21 AM