Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leaning furniture??

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:46:48 -0400, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at
comcast dot net wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
and I used the term "furniture" loosely.

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their
verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input
other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48174119096498

And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some
research for further design ideas:

http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/2...ing-furniture/

Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board
and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further suggestions
on examples.

I have seen variations of that sort of thing with some high end "small"
office furniture. Often made with metal and glass. Crate and barrel had a
selection of desks, etc a few years ago. There is a whole category of high
end furniture designed for apartments and condos. I have seen this kind of
thing in that market for at least twenty years. I have not seen any lately
though. That is either because I don't look at that sort of thing any more
or they just stopped making it.

As for the stability thing, the leaning desks I saw had sharp feet and were
anchored on the bottom by digging into the carpet. This approach, obviously
would not work on a hard surface floor.

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless, too. My
vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.