Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Leaning furniture??

On 10/18/2012 11:41 PM, Dave wrote:
On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper
With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor
these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall
anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward
looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would
be to attach something else in their place.

I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these
things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the
proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of
spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a
shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective
for that purpose.

I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture in years, subject to
even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly where there are, or
will be, young children in the household) that is not anchored to a wall
in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping mechanism,
generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. That goes
for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, and
chests of drawers.

And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a custom set of
bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that he had done
the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom
cabinet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account
in everything he does.

AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young,
pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not
agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010