Posted to rec.woodworking

Default buying used table saw

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:33:51 -0500, DanG wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:54 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:54:14 PM UTC-5, Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

You say "or whatever", but if you are looking for a cabinet saw (~500
pounds), and don't have a truck with a lift gate, LOCATION counts for a
lot.

An important feature I didn't see in your list is a "quality fence".
Good luck (I'm still in search of a TS myself)! Grizzly G690 is on my
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

Bill

Aside from the obvious:

Overall condition, fit and finish

Table flatness and condition

Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment

motor and wiring

arbor run-out

bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if
you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very
well.

Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who puts his Unisaw
in the back of his pickup and takes and sets it up on site for finish
work alone. Yes, they're heavy, but do tip upside down without ever
requiring picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable upside
down - no longer top heavy. He does have a short Biesmeyer on it.

I'd think that would be *very* hard on the cast iron top. I have to move mine
the last 100' (garage to basement) in our move from AL to GA, soon. I've been
told by everyone to be careful of the top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 6:54 PM, Mike M wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if
you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very
well.

Not me ... I have indeed moved my Unisaw a few times, but rent a truck
with a TommyLift.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:09:33 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:54 PM, Mike M wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if
you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very
well.

Not me ... I have indeed moved my Unisaw a few times, but rent a truck
with a TommyLift.

Well I guess another senior moment for me, but if you think about it
at a negotiated rate it makes some sense.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:09:33 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:54 PM, Mike M wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if
you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very
well.

Not me ... I have indeed moved my Unisaw a few times, but rent a truck
with a TommyLift.

I used a 5x8 UHaul trailer and some 1x10 ramps. It was pretty easy to load
and unload by myself. The back of the trailer is less than a foot off the
ground. It was easy to push up the ramps. I can only get a trailer about 10'
from the basement door, and not straight shot (it'll have to turn twice) so
that's going to be a bit more of a challenge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

Tipped over flat on an old army blanket is probably a whole lot better
than any other method.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

That's not going to work. Bumpy yard with a decent hill (down,
fortunately). I'll rent a U-Haul to get it to the back door. With
some judicious use of 2x10s it should go on its own wheels. I may
have to use some plywood sheets to get it to go over the carpeting
(dumb idea in a basement).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

Break the saw down. Smaller pieces are easier to handle without
damage. Wings and table are probably going to need to be
reset, anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who
puts his Unisaw in the back of his pickup and takes and
sets it up on site for finish work alone. Yes, they're
heavy, but do tip upside down without ever requiring
picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable
upside down - no longer top heavy. He does have a
short Biesmeyer on it.

I'd think that would be *very* hard on the cast iron
top. I have to move mine the last 100' (garage to
basement) in our move from AL to GA, soon. I've been
told by everyone to be careful of the top.

What do you mean by hard on a cast iron top? Breakage? Scratching? What. I
don't think I've ever seen a TS with a cast iron top - how common are they?

Personally, I'd just put a heavy blanket down, turn the saw over, and set it
on the blanket upside down. A furniture blanket would be best, but anything
for padding shoulc work. Otherwise, load it uprght and simply tie it in
place properly and voilA! No problem.
If you do turn a saw upside down, clean out the sawdust and be sure any
motor mounts won't twist or otherwise be damaged from the vibrations. If the
motor is external, it's best to simply remove it and carry it separated from
the TS.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:01:36 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

Wings will have to be reset, as will the miter slot but breaking it
down into more easily manageable pieces is a *lot* of work. I got it
the first 70 miles in one piece (sans rails and side table), I think I
can get it the last 100'. I should have done it the first time but I
didn't know if I could get the U-Haul around back of the house (I can,
easily, and have several times since).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:20:08 -0500, "Twayne"

Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who
puts his Unisaw in the back of his pickup and takes and
sets it up on site for finish work alone. Yes, they're
heavy, but do tip upside down without ever requiring
picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable
upside down - no longer top heavy. He does have a
short Biesmeyer on it.

I'd think that would be *very* hard on the cast iron
top. I have to move mine the last 100' (garage to
basement) in our move from AL to GA, soon. I've been
told by everyone to be careful of the top.

What do you mean by hard on a cast iron top? Breakage? Scratching? What. I
don't think I've ever seen a TS with a cast iron top - how common are they?

Warp. You've never seen a TS with a cast iron top? I only know of a
few with granite tops and some cheap ones with steel tops. ????

Personally, I'd just put a heavy blanket down, turn the saw over, and set it
on the blanket upside down. A furniture blanket would be best, but anything
for padding shoulc work. Otherwise, load it uprght and simply tie it in
place properly and voilA! No problem.

What's the purpose of the blanket? It's not going over the ground
that way!

If you do turn a saw upside down, clean out the sawdust and be sure any
motor mounts won't twist or otherwise be damaged from the vibrations. If the
motor is external, it's best to simply remove it and carry it separated from
the TS.

It's a Unisaw. Nothing hanging outside but the bottom has wheels. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 7:20 PM, Twayne wrote:
What do you mean by hard on a cast iron top? Breakage? Scratching? What. I
don't think I've ever seen a TS with a cast iron top - how common are they?

It use to be the way a good table saw was made. My 10" Craftsman from
about 1969 has a cast iron top. As my father had a similar model
Craftsman I know it had a cast iron top and it was from the early 1950's

Both saws are running great. My brother has my father's but I know the
one I have the top looks nearly new, though it takes a lot of elbow
grease to keep it looking that way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:31:12 -0500, z wrote:

[...]

Tugging at the hook.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 6:20 PM, Twayne wrote:
Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who
puts his Unisaw in the back of his pickup and takes and
sets it up on site for finish work alone. Yes, they're
heavy, but do tip upside down without ever requiring
picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable
upside down - no longer top heavy. He does have a
short Biesmeyer on it.

I'd think that would be *very* hard on the cast iron
top. I have to move mine the last 100' (garage to
basement) in our move from AL to GA, soon. I've been
told by everyone to be careful of the top.

What do you mean by hard on a cast iron top? Breakage? Scratching? What. I
don't think I've ever seen a TS with a cast iron top - how common are they?

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 7:31 PM, z wrote:
[...]

I think cast iron and aluminum are the most common, not sure I have seen
one with a steel top though.

Personally, I'd just put a heavy blanket down, turn the saw over, and set it
on the blanket upside down. A furniture blanket would be best, but anything
for padding shoulc work. Otherwise, load it uprght and simply tie it in
place properly and voilA! No problem.

What's the purpose of the blanket? It's not going over the ground
that way!

If you do turn a saw upside down, clean out the sawdust and be sure any
motor mounts won't twist or otherwise be damaged from the vibrations. If the
motor is external, it's best to simply remove it and carry it separated from
the TS.

It's a Unisaw. Nothing hanging outside but the bottom has wheels. ;-)

Yeah, you don't want to turn that upside down. Better to probably
remove the motor or reattach the motor shipping brackets it should have
come with.

that said, Swingman and I have transported our cabinet saws on mobile
bases to different locations via lift gate truck. We have it down to an
art.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

4 doors??? No way! What will they think of next?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:17:42 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/6/2012 7:31 PM, z wrote:
[...]

It's pretty easy to get into a U-Haul trailer. A little "walking" on
and off ramps works. The back of the trailer is only 8" or so off the
road. The only issue is getting it across the ground, to the back
door. I can't get the trailer closer than about 10' from the door and
it'll have to turn a couple of times. It shouldn't be a real big
deal, though.

Once I figured out that the trailer could get back there easily, I
stopped worrying about it too much. I just haven't had time because
I'm trying to get the other house on the market.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k7e1kv$sb6$1
@dont-email.me:

Leon wrote:

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

4 doors??? No way! What will they think of next?

Windows!

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

4 doors??? No way! What will they think of next?

Windows!

Can"t happen. Glass is too fragile and when it breaks, it is very sharp.
It could hurt somebody...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

:

Leon wrote:

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

4 doors??? No way! What will they think of next?

Windows!

Big honkin' engines which will take that vehicle so fast, it'll boil
your blood!

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our