Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stickley reproduction with a few twists

Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.
1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top
2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak
3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top
4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.
1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top
2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak
3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top
4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to
dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

Beautiful. Really like the use of natural wood elements in the piece. Well
done.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

Nice! I like the top - the distressed nature of it make it stand out from a
standard production run piece.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like it, too. Good job.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:01:31 AM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.

1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top

2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak

3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top

4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

Love it, especially the beauty of grain around the cracked edge. When we were trimming our house we did the old-style heavy door and window headers. I was cutting the vertical trim pieces and almost pitched a section that had a large open "goober" with figured grain around it. I thought "what the heck" and installed it with the distressed section in the center of the eyebrow window and at eye level. That piece of junk wood has gotten some good comments.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

Love it, especially the beauty of grain around the cracked edge.
When we were trimming our house we did the old-style heavy door and
window headers. I was cutting the vertical trim pieces and almost
pitched a section that had a large open "goober" with figured grain
around it. I thought "what the heck" and installed it with the
distressed section in the center of the eyebrow window and at eye
level. That piece of junk wood has gotten some good comments.

Isn't it funny how that goes? We live in a log home so all of our cabinetry
and trim are rustic. Likewise, I used pieces of pine that you would
normally throw out, for trim pieces. They provide a great accent. I guess
it's all about tastes and decor, but I for one, love the look. Maybe
because it defies the norm...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:01:31 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg http://www.sonomaproducts..com/image.../custom222.jpg This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction. 1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top 2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak 3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top 4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

I meant to mention that I put butterfly inlays across the crack on the underside at each end so it won't break off over time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In considering "naturally designed" pieces of wood for any use, keep in mind: Hardly any natural pieces (of anything, actually) are straight or have straight lines or edges, like milled lumber. I think, about the only straight lines or edges, in nature, is in or with rock, ice or similar crystals.

Try to coordinate your project's design with the offering from nature. Often times, with little effort, things just turn out great.... and, of course, each natural piece is unique, to boot!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:02:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
In considering "naturally designed" pieces of wood for any use, keep in mind: Hardly any natural pieces (of anything, actually) are straight or have straight lines or edges, like milled lumber. I think, about the only straight lines or edges, in nature, is in or with rock, ice or similar crystals. Try to coordinate your project's design with the offering from nature. Often times, with little effort, things just turn out great.... and, of course, each natural piece is unique, to boot! Sonny

Sonny, I am not quite sure why your posts always seem to me to be a bit on off on some meandering tangent. May I ask; do you often or have ever smoked a lot of weed???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nope, LOL. Never smoked or did any drugs, except perscription ones. I suppose my meanderdering thoughts are the result of my upbringing and formal schooling.

I grew up on a farm. I think that's been a plus. Sometime in grade school or high school, I realized the art of and in nature. My first major in college was Wildlife Biology and spent many hours/days in the woods, studying whatever. When I graduated WB, the only job available was working in a fish hatchery for $300/mo. I went back to school in engineering, Basic Design Technology, and subsequently worked at Placid Refinery, in Port Allen, La.. for 2 years, then had the opportunity to get into the medical field (following my brother), where I spent 23 yrs before retiring. I now have lots of time to reflect on lots of things, especially my woods wanderings and the like, as when younger.

Whether my rationale is on track or not, I simply enjoy thinking and trying to perform tasks in various genre, disciplines or combinations of. When a subject strikes me a certain way, I express my opinion, to show my thoughts and why.

I think, in a nut shell, I've always been passionate about nature and what it has to offer, including its art. I guess I was explaining, from a different perspective, why I liked your project. I, too, sometimes wonder if I'm just off the beaten path or lost in the woods. With many of my projects, I've tried to have as few straight lines or edges as possible, as in nature. When folks see the piece, their first instinct, I find, is they want to touch it, to feel it. I'll bet that's what you've experienced with your table (top): folks want to touch it, not just view it.

Ever look straight up a tall tree. Trees don't "grow" straight up. They grow in a spiral, upwards. Its neat! Nature has lots of "odd things" about itself. It has been and still is enjoyable discovering them.

I suppose, searching for and/or discovering nature's art can be an addiction/addicting. In my retirement years, I find myself having more time to think and do, as in my younger years, just slower doing. My approach or sense, for a project, is more from/for the natural esthetics and art side, rather than from/with the technical aspects of producing the piece. Combining both is a plus. Hardly anyone readily sees the technical aspects, though. Their initial view or perspective is of the art or esthetics, as with your table. I think other comments, here, were in the ball park of my comment. I just pointed out something, specific, I've discovered about most of nature's products... no straight lines or edges... represented, in several ways, in your table project.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:37:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I don't know man. I think somebody is slipping you some magic brownies or something. ;^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2012 12:30 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

It's the mushrooms in that sauce piqaunte, cher.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:21:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

What a shame, Swingy, that your color blindness prevents you from
enjoying something as natural as those special shrooms, or Tiny Dr.
Tim's favorite medicine... vbg

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2012 4:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:21:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/11/2012 12:30 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I don't know man. I think somebody is slipping you some magic brownies or something. ;^)

It's the mushrooms in that sauce piqaunte, cher.

What a shame, Swingy, that your color blindness prevents you from
enjoying something as natural as those special shrooms, or Tiny Dr.
Tim's favorite medicine... vbg

Au contraire, mon ami ... that was the only time I was not colorblind!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:44:20 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/11/2012 4:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:21:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/11/2012 12:30 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I don't know man. I think somebody is slipping you some magic brownies or something. ;^)

It's the mushrooms in that sauce piqaunte, cher.

What a shame, Swingy, that your color blindness prevents you from
enjoying something as natural as those special shrooms, or Tiny Dr.
Tim's favorite medicine... vbg

Au contraire, mon ami ... that was the only time I was not colorblind!

Sacre bleu! (It was blue then.)

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:01:31 AM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.

1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top

2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak

3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top

4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

Well done as usual. What color you gonna paint it?

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 06:11:34 -0700 (PDT), RP wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:01:31 AM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Here are two pics of a recently finished project

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg

This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.

1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top

2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak

3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top

4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

Well done as usual. What color you gonna paint it?

g It's too bad he dropped it 3 times, too. A li'l bondo and paint
and it'll be good as new, wot?

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:11:35 AM UTC-7, RP wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:01:31 AM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote: Here are two pics of a recently finished project http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom211.jpg http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images.../custom222.jpg This is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction. 1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top 2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak 3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top 4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today. Well done as usual. What color you gonna paint it? RP

I do have two others I darkened with dichromium phosphate (drano/lye).